Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Highest HIV level in western Europe, well done Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

lbc2019 wrote: »
    And the band played on very good

and Angels in America
    The Normal Heart - desperately sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

The Normal Heart - desperately sad.

Ill have to watch that.

An Early Frost was another early HIV/AIDS movie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Until the HSE funds prep this statistic isn’t going to change

Also male homosexuals have far more sexual partners than heterosexuals and engage in far more dangerous activities (drugs, promiscuity, some really nasty dark stuff there) and HIV is disproportionately a gay, immigrant problem.

If you are generalising - you should say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Gael23 wrote: »
    Until the HSE funds prep this statistic isn’t going to change

We don't need the HSE.

Stop importing people into your country who have HIV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

frag420 wrote: »
    Lately it’s been all Brexit, borders and the children’s hospitals...

Great to have some positive news!!

Nice

We don't need the HSE.

Stop importing people into your country who have HIV.

What about the people currently here with HIV or those at high risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What about the people currently here with HIV or those at high risk?

Ah you know: Irish and Heterosexual are the good ones, Brazilians and gays are the bad ones. Thats how it is with some of the bigots round here.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ah you know: Irish and Heterosexual are the good ones, Brazilians and gays are the bad ones. Thats how it is with some of the bigots round here.

You canr call them bigots or homophobic or racist or Gammon cos thats offensive

But queers are riddled

Or its the whole idea that bringing in infected people into your country to endanger and destroy the lives of other people is not a good idea.

Here's a case study:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/man-who-infected-two-partners-with-hiv-jailed-for-ten-years-1.3577406

And it is more of a gay promiscuity issue, the statistics back that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

It's grand lads. It's just like chicken pox, you can only get it once.

Oh dear...stop being bored at work and consult doctor google.

No wonder AIDS is spreading in Ireland.

Natural selection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 SKILFUL

blanch152 wrote: »
    It hasn't risen among people born in Ireland, as the figures I produced have shown.

Diversity is our strength

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

So it's mainly the MSM community?

That's the fake news alright.

I dont know if it mainly is but it undoubtedly disproportionately affects the gay community, its because HIV is passed much easier through anal sex than vaginal sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mod NoteIf you make a statement about a group back it up with facts.

Or its the whole idea that bringing in infected people into your country to endanger and destroy the lives of other people is not a good idea.

Here's a case study:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/man-who-infected-two-partners-with-hiv-jailed-for-ten-years-1.3577406

Thats just the Bad AIDS tho tbf

Here's a case study:

Thats a newspaper article- paywalled- not a case study dear

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

I've had this argument before, I think Prep is a huge step in the wrong direction. As good the intentions were of the people who created the drug, it is grossly misused and is essentially a party drug, allowing people to have unprotected sex with less consequences, however, the issues caused by this are

1)Prep reduces the chances of HIV infection, it does not protect against any other STI, meaning greater transmission rates (gonorrhea and chlamydia especially)

but worse

2)HIV, like all viruses, has stronger and weaker strains, Prep reduces the infection rate, but does not fully prevent transmission, the stronger version of HIV get through and propagate, and the weaker ones are prevented and die off, it doesn't take an evolutionary biologist to realize how dangerous that is.

The original article in the OP is dangerously stupid, HIV rates were dropping because of education, condom uses massively reduced infection rates, these rates are rising again partly due to Prep, but also a resurgence in hookup culture, with apps like Grindr being hugely responsible, but I guess there's not much to be done about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

old_aussie wrote: »
    Oh dear...stop being bored at work and consult doctor google.

No wonder AIDS is spreading in Ireland.

Natural selection.
    They were joking.

HIV not aids.

Should having sex have more consequences? That sounds like a judgement call.

Filthy Jezebels

lbc2019 supports ruining the lives of women being infected by a man who shouldn't have been allowed into the country.

but at least you're not a bigot! :pac:

• Advertisement

lbc2019 supports ruining the lives of women being infected by a man who shouldn't have been allowed into the country.

Where did you pull that wild assertion from?

retract it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

HIV disproportionately affecting the gay community(in the western world ) would be verging on common knowledge, I would have thought

'Gay and bisexual menc are the population most affected by HIV. In 2017, gay and bisexual men accounted for 66% (25,748) of all HIV diagnoses and 82% of diagnoses among males in the United States.d'

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/overview/ataglance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

El_Bee wrote: »
    I've had this argument before, I think Prep is a huge step in the wrong direction. As good the intentions were of the people who created the drug, it is grossly misused and is essentially a party drug, allowing people to have unprotected sex with less consequences, however, the issues caused by this are

1)Prep reduces the chances of HIV infection, it does not protect against any other STI, meaning greater transmission rates (gonorrhea and chlamydia especially)

but worse

2)HIV, like all viruses, has stronger and weaker strains, Prep reduces the infection rate, but does not fully prevent transmission, the stronger version of HIV get through and propagate, and the weaker ones are prevented and die off, it doesn't take an evolutionary biologist to realize how dangerous that is.

The original article in the OP is dangerously stupid, HIV rates were dropping because of education, condom uses massively reduced infection rates, these rates are rising again partly due to Prep, but also a resurgence in hookup culture, with apps like Grindr being hugely responsible, but I guess there's not much to be done about that.

I'd rather get the other STI's you mentioned than HIV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 SKILFUL

Toxoplasmosis

wakka12 wrote: »
    HIV disproportionately affecting the gay community(in the western world ) would be verging on common knowledge, I would have thought

'Gay and bisexual menc are the population most affected by HIV. In 2017, gay and bisexual men accounted for 66% (25,748) of all HIV diagnoses and 82% of diagnoses among males in the United States.d'

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/overview/ataglance.html

MSM yes, its more easily transmitted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I presume you would apply your principle to both ways?

Yes. Same applies both ways, as it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

I'd rather get the other STI's you mentioned than HIV.

Many strains of chlamydia & gonorrhea are now incurable.

Where did you pull that wild assertion from?

retract it.

You said:

Your use of the word just and tho implies that the story I linked is little cause for concern. I posted it as an example of what happens when you let people with these kinds of infections into your country. It's just Bad AIDs according to you though?

Either you support it or you don't. Unless there is a mixed, good outcome for these women getting infected?

You said:

Your use of the word just and tho implies that the story I linked is little cause for concern. I posted it as an example of what happens when you let people with these kinds of infections into your country. It's just Bad AIDs according to you though?

no, you made an assumption on what it implies.

You can't just do that and use it to accuse people.

Most people would recognise where the phrase originates

• Advertisement

no, you made an assumption on what it implies.

You can't just do that and use it to accuse people.

Most people would recognise where the phrase originates

That's the whole point of posting on a message board.

You assume something based on something they wrote.

Is Bad AIDS gay community slang?

Advertisement