Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to get your Christmas turkey cooked?

• 19-12-2018 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

My local Donnybrook fair does but we're too late unfortunately. Does anyone know anywhere else on the North side or less preferably the Southside?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your kitchen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Anywhere apart from that? If I owned a business I'd offer this service. I wouldn't trust a Millennial like myself to make me a waffle in the kitchen so I'm guessing there's other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Throw it on the shopping trolley bbq as northsiders are used to

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

Didn't even know such a service was provided and there's me slaving away Christmas morning!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Why would you cook a turkey so far in advance of Christmas Day? You can't freeze cooked meat so it might be gone off by next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

DS86DS wrote: »
    Why would you cook a turkey so far in advance of Christmas Day? You can't freeze cooked meat so it might be gone off by next week.

It's massive and his oven isn't big enough.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

DS86DS wrote: »

Yes you can freeze cooked meat....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

antodeco wrote: »
    Oh no all my meal prep I've been freezing and eating! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Didn't know that. Could have sworn it was a bad idea due to food borne bacteria.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

You can freeze cooked meat as long as it hasn't been frozen before. You can't thaw, cook, then refreeze. Well you can but you might die.

• Advertisement

You can freeze cooked meat as long as it hasn't been frozen before. You can't thaw, cook, then refreeze. Well you can but you might die.

You certainly can defrost uncooked, cook and refreeze!

You can cook, defrost and then refreeze.

Basically you can't refreeze already frozen uncooked or already frozen cooked

Edit: I may have misinterpreted your message, so apologies if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I freeze cooked meat that was formerly frozen all the time - hasn't killed me yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

If you cant find a place to cook the turkey, try and ask your butcher to bone & roll the turkey.
    It will end up being a lot smaller and stands a better chance of fitting in your oven.

You can definitely thaw frozen meat, cook it, and refreeze it. I've a freezer full of meals done that way.

But once you thaw raw meat, you need to cook it or throw it out. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Just cook something nice for Christmas Day. Like a steak, or a roast chicken. Or goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Hammer89 wrote: »
    My local Donnybrook fair does but we're too late unfortunately. Does anyone know anywhere else on the North side or less preferably the Southside?

Lazy C**T

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Lazy C**T

Dude might have plenty of disposable income and has decided to have someone poorer than him cook his dinner for him. Don’t be jealous because he’s successful

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Lazy C**T

I don't know what's lazy about not being able to cook a Christmas turkey. I guarantee I know how to do something pretty basic and common that you don't. Are you lazy for not knowing? No you've just never needed to know how.

Dude might have plenty of disposable income and has decided to have someone poorer than him cook his dinner for him. Don’t be jealous because he’s successful

Pfft. REAL successful people get their turkeys to cook poor people.

Pfft. REAL successful people get their turkeys to cook poor people.
    And the politicians get their turkeys to vote for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

I don't know what's lazy about not being able to cook a Christmas turkey. I guarantee I know how to do something pretty basic and common that you don't. Are you lazy for not knowing? No you've just never needed to know how.

Why don't you learn? It's a very easy thing to cook. It just takes a while but if it's late you get extra drinking time so it's a win win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

I know my local butcher did this for customers years ago. He had one of those rotisserie style ovens for cooking chickens.
    It was for boned and rolled turkey or turkey crowns, the taste of those turkeys was fantastic because he would remove the Tinfoil about 45 minutes before end of cooking so you had all the juices constantly basting the turkeys.
    I haven’t seen the service offered in years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Because there's no "ability" involved. It's basically a bigger chicken. You cook it for 20 minutes per lb, that's it. There's no magic or rocket science involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just throw some Turkey Twizzlers in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

antodeco wrote:
    You can cook, defrost and then refreeze.

antodeco wrote:
    Basically you can't refreeze already frozen uncooked or already frozen cooked

Are you not contradicting yourself?

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Because there's no "ability" involved. It's basically a bigger chicken. You cook it for 20 minutes per kilo, that's it. There's no magic or rocket science involved.

You've clearly done it before. Congratulations but those who don't have your experience aren't lazy so much as they are fortunate that they have never been in a position where they have had to do it themselves.

Because there's no "ability" involved. It's basically a bigger chicken. You cook it for 20 minutes per kilo, that's it. There's no magic or rocket science involved.

Uh, there definitely is a way to make good turkey. What's the point in having bland dry meat just to say you did it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Well I wouldn't want to eat your turkey cause its 20 min per lb not kilo.

ah there is a little bit of skill, not so much in the cooking because that bit is easy, retaining the moisture takes a little bit of effort though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

You've clearly done it before. Congratulations but those who don't have your experience aren't lazy so much as they are fortunate that they have never been in a position where they have had to do it themselves.

It's not a punishment, it's cooking a bird!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

macnug wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't want to eat your turkey cause its 20 min per lb not kilo.

ah there is a little bit of skill, not so much in the cooking because that bit is easy, retaining the moisture takes a little bit of effort though.

That's where the power hose comes in handy

Advertisement