Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vintage Car Scam........in Rathkeale!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Excellent, just in time for hourly traveller bashing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

This would be part of the famous traveller culture I keep hearing about?

I don't know, the article doesn't actually mention their ethnicity, only their location. Make of that what you will...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Its our culture, sure its pure vintage boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,356 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No details given. Were the cars stolen? Or just well haggled?
    How is it a scam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

DrumSteve wrote: »

Yeah, let’s not talk about these things. Best ignored eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and how does the scam work?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah, let’s not talk about these things. Best ignored eh?

Well other criminal issues aren't meant to be talked about here. Guess they are less relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

DrumSteve wrote: »
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Well other criminal issues aren't meant to be talked about here. Guess they are less relevant.

You can take the view that it is unfortunate that so many incidents of traveller criminal activity are coincidentally coming to light so soon after the debate ignited by Peter Casey.

Or you can take the view that this is further evidence of ingrained criminality being part of Traveller culture.

We are all free to decide which.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

They are an enterprising bunch, wasn't it endangered species a couple of years ago. Great culture worth preserving and protecting with a specific ethnicity status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

ELM327 wrote: »
    No details given. Were the cars stolen? Or just well haggled?
    How is it a scam?

From the Garda appeal in the article.

"I would like to appeal today, particularly to the elderly community to contact your local Garda Station if you believe that you have been deceived in the purchase/sale of a vintage or classic car in circumstances where either money has not been received or money received far less than that of the value of the car."

Sounds like they either never received payment or got less than was negotiated.

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote:

Hourly?slight exaggeration there. Although it was RTE who highlighted where the lads are from. 2 + 2 and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Hourly?slight exaggeration there. Although it was RTE who highlighted where the lads are from. 2 + 2 and all that.

2+2 = Traveller bashing time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Grayson wrote: »

No need for any bashing of travellers on here. They seem to be doing a wonderful job of exposing the true nature of their “culture “ all on their own.

Grayson wrote:

Seems highlighting criminal behaviour is travelling bashing. Maybe if less travellers were involved in criminal behaviour the bashing wouldn't be so common.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,356 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Rory28 wrote: »
    From the Garda appeal in the article.

"I would like to appeal today, particularly to the elderly community to contact your local Garda Station if you believe that you have been deceived in the purchase/sale of a vintage or classic car in circumstances where either money has not been received or money received far less than that of the value of the car."

Sounds like they either never received payment or got less than was negotiated.

But sure no one in their right mind would give away the car before payment in full. Hence my question about methodology

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

ELM327 wrote: »
    But sure no one in their right mind would give away the car before payment in full. Hence my question about methodology

Elderly people are easy to intimidate. You cannot be that naive.

I know slightly off topic, but another three members of the cultural enriched group had their case for discrimination thrown out against a Killarney hotel. Also carried by RTE news. Is the media willing to highlight the behaviour of this group after Casey's vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I know slightly off topic, but another three members of the cultural enriched group had their case for discrimination thrown out against a Killarney hotel. Also carried by RTE news. Is the media willing to highlight the behaviour of this group after Casey's vote?

Suing the hotel that holds regular meeting of a Traveller rights group that highlights discrimination against travellers in Killarney pubs and hotels!! You can't make this stuff up. It's like a Monty Python sketch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Suing the hotel that holds regular meeting of a Traveller rights group that highlights discrimination against travellers in Killarney pubs and hotels!! You can't make this stuff up. It's like a Monty Python sketch!!

Fawlty Towers, don't mention the culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Garda left with ‘broken nose and cheekbones’ following Limerick assault

INVESTIGATIONS are continuing after an off-duty detective was found with a broken nose and two fractured cheekbones following an attack in Limerick on Tuesday night.

The detective was discovered with serious injuries in the Augustinian Lane area, near Roches Street, at approximately 2.30 am on Tuesday night.

His phone was also stolen in the attack.

The garda, who was off-duty at the time of his assault, is based in Dublin, it is understood.

He was believed to be in Limerick investigating a vintage car scam, according to the Irish Daily Star.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/352983/garda-left-with-broken-nose-and-cheekbones-following-limerick-assault.html

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote:
    INVESTIGATIONS are continuing after an off-duty detective was found with a broken nose and two fractured cheekbones following an attack in Limerick on Tuesday night.

Time to remove the kid gloves.

I imagine this will increase the focus on that game over the Christmas period

Not very smart assaulting and robbing a Garda involved in the investigation

You would think it's clearly linked

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭seamie78

what was the scam? people receiving less than their car was worth....does that mean if I find a good deal somewhere on a car(unlikely I know) I am scamming the seller

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I imagine this will increase the focus on that game over the Christmas period

Not very smart assaulting and robbing a Garda involved in the investigation

You would think it's clearly linked

Any word on those involved? Could have been anyone really, off duty garda looks like any of the rest of us. Would be a big coincidence I know but worth mentioning.
    seamie78 wrote: »
    what was the scam? people receiving less than their car was worth....does that mean if I find a good deal somewhere on a car(unlikely I know) I am scamming the seller

Elderly folks selling their cars and getting less than what was promised or nothing at all. Its stealing basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

They left a deposit and took the car for "inspection" and never returned the cars.

Now run along and go somewhere else to defend these filth.

Elderly folks selling their cars and getting less than what was promised or nothing at all. Its stealing basically.[/QUOTE]

that to me is straightforward theft hardly a scam

a scam makes it sound clever

Any word on those involved? Could have been anyone really, off duty garda looks like any of the rest of us. Would be a big coincidence I know but worth mentioning.

No official word yet

No arrests have been made and investigations are ongoing, a garda spokesperson confirmed.

Yeah could really be a big coincidence true that an off duty Garda based in Dublin just so happened to be viciously assaulted in Limerick after being involved in this particular investigation

kona wrote: »
    They left a deposit and took the car for "inspection" and never returned the cars.

Now run along and go somewhere else to defend these filth.

Not sure where you saw me defending anyone, now run along and stop jumping to assumptions

• Advertisement

that to me is straightforward theft hardly a scam

The fact that there are multiple people involved, all committing the same crime, would mean it can be defined as a scam. Its not a one off theft, its an on going "scam".

Advertisement