Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas FM to pull 'Baby it's Cold Outside'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

touts wrote: »
    What about Santa Baby. That relationship seems very abusive of the man involved.

And I saw Mammy Kissing Santa Clause never mentions that Santa consented to this assault.

And what about

Grandma got run over by a reindeer - Clear case of Elder abuse

Away in manger - child abuse any child in a manger needs to be taken into care.

Auld Lang Syne does not promote responsible drinking

The first Noel mentions Israel and not a word about the oppressed Palestinian people

Santa Clause is coming to town makes a hero of a man revelling in violating the GDPR regulations

Oh Christmas tree promotes deforestation.

Basically people need to get over themselves. This actually hurts the #metoo movement.

You need to mail this to them and see if you will get a response

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

'Baby it's Cold Outside' is the latest victim of the crazy age we wlive in, having been pulled by Christmas FM.

What next?

I fairness, the female character does get a bit rapey on the second part of the song. Poor guy just wants to get away from her. It's a bad message to be sending out to anyone impressionable enough to listen to Xmas FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

What next?

Fairytale of New York, hopefully. They should definitely remove the line after 'you scumbag, you maggot' that some people seem to enjoy putting extra effort into singing. Maybe bleep it really loudly or replace it with the Ronan Keating, Moya Brennan version.

No particular reason, other than the fact that it would really annoy the kind of people who get annoyed about that kind of thing.
    Well fook them, I've just pulled Christmas FM from my car's presets.

Just to balance this out - and because I'm even more petty - I've added it to mine. I don't even like Christmas songs, but I'll make sure to listen to it every day now. At some point before the 25th, you'll find me and my car buried in a brick wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

'Last Christmas' would be welcome.

And ‘Fairytale of New York’, an excellent song that I just cannot listen to anymore. Just too damn overplayed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

https://g.co/kgs/AU6aaC

Jump in My Car

David Hasselhoff

Have a drink, have a drive
    Go out and see what you can find
    If her daddy's rich take her out for a meal
    If her daddy's poor just do what you feel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

There is at least one version where the roles are reversed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpDLpz88V-I

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Can Christmas FM just do it properly and remove itself from the airwaves?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've heard it played on Xmas FM this year. Is someone telling porkies?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Fairy tale of New York should be axed too. How dare Shane McGowan shout Kirsty McCall down in that duet!

Is that the cheap lousy f a g g o t song ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

nthclare wrote: »
    Is that the cheap lousy f a g g o t song ?

No, it's the "you're cheap and you're haggard" song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Fairy tale of New York should be axed too. How dare Shane McGowan shout Kirsty McCall down in that duet!

Well.... she does call him a cheap lousy ******, clearly hate speech and should be banned as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Not mad about the song but I did like the Tom Jones, Cerys Matthews version. That song was played to death on Christmas FM over the years and I've never had a problem with it. It's not offensive, can those who don't like it not just ignore it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Snowflakes ruining everything

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I wish thay banned all Christmas music tbh.
    Except Frankie goes to Hollywood. That song's class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

biko wrote: »
    Snowflakes ruining everything

The real snowflakes won't even appear for Christmas, they are too white they were told.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

NOT EVEN READING IT.

GO F**K YOURSELF.

WHOEVER IT IS.

**** OFF, **** OFF, **** OFF. RUINING EVERYTHING. ASK ME BOLLOCKS.

CAPS ARE NEEDED

#STUPIDC-UNT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

I like wham - last christmas, and fcuk the begrudgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Well.... she does call him a cheap lousy ******, clearly hate speech and should be banned as a result.

Don’t know if serious but there have been calls for that. Or bleeping the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

Don’t know if serious but there have been calls for that. Or bleeping the word.

In that song I think the word there is used in the Lewis CK kind of way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I wish thay banned all Christmas music tbh.
    Except Frankie goes to Hollywood. That song's class.

Those working in retail over the Christmas exposed to these tunes on a loop must be near needing Post-traumatic stress disorder.

There is at least one version where the roles are reversed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpDLpz88V-I

Another example:

I think removing the song is a pretty stupid and counter-productive move. A rudimentary reading of the whole song lyrics, (not just the "what's in this drink" line) along with consideration of the time the song was written in, should be enough for anyone with any level of critical-thinking ability to know that it's not about date rape or men forcing themselves on women.

But tbh the worst bit about removing it is the subsequent melodramatic whining by the "offended by the offended", like such:
    theguzman wrote: »
    These type of people won't be happy until all Christians are executed I think.
    Cork Lass wrote: »
    Unfortunately we are living in a snowflake society.

It's much more unfortunate that we live in a society where people still unironically use the word "snowflake".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Ridiculous, nonetheless how is this considered a Christmas song?

'Baby it's Cold Outside' is the latest victim of the crazy age we live in, having been pulled by Christmas FM.

What next?

You know i actually hate this song but because of the latest left madness i actually have the urge to do whatever is in my power to make it number one from now until all eternity

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Fairytale of New York, hopefully. They should definitely remove the line after 'you scumbag, you maggot' that some people seem to enjoy putting extra effort into singing. Maybe bleep it really loudly or replace it with the Ronan Keating, Moya Brennan version.

Fairytale of New York is a classic, no way should it be changed just to suit the leftie PC losers.

Fairytale of New York, hopefully. They should definitely remove the line after 'you scumbag, you maggot' that some people seem to enjoy putting extra effort into singing. Maybe bleep it

You cheap lousy fagg ot
    You cheap lousy fagg ot
    You cheap lousy fagg ot
    You cheap lousy fagg ot
    You cheap lousy fagg ot

Class song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

biko wrote: »

ok. actually a bit rapey. but only cause its a theatrical performance.

Really, nobody was following anything but the tune up until these loons started their shyte.

was anyone actually imagining these semi-rapey shenanigans?

that video is 10 times more graphic than anything i'd pictured when the song was in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,179 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

theguzman wrote: »
    Next to get the chop is Fairy Tale of New York over the inclusion of the word "******". These type of people won't be happy until all Christians are executed I think.

There already trying to do it.
    47378521_2245662515465988_8147583476254638080_n.png.jpg?_nc_cat=105&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=43cee374f455be7e059cd4bdbf93c4df&oe=5CA55D40

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

https://g.co/kgs/AU6aaC

Jump in My Car

David Hasselhoff

Jump in my car
    I wanna take you home
    Jump in my car
    It's too far walk on your own

Still better than 'Smell this rag' by Bill Cosby.

• Advertisement

Advertisement