Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Syrian boy bullied in Huddersfield

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Patww79 wrote: »
    England in a nutshell in one short video.

Well Huddersfield (where it took place), in a nutshell:

Increasing tension between many growing diverse communites
    Rampant child grooming gang exposed, further increasing ethnic tensions.
    Overstretched resources leading to packed, unsupervised schools
    Budget cuts from central government across youth clubs and policing
    Significant procedural failures from public & social services
    etc...

volchitsa wrote: »
    Oh and by the way, a couple of points from Wikipedia about waterboarding :

Doesn't have to have a board.

And this, I think, is relevant:

We both agree that this was horrible and disgraceful. I just disagree that it was waterboarding and feel that by overselling/exaggerating the abhorrent behaviour, you are lessening the impact of the bullying. It's like saying every intentional foul in football is a definite attempt to break someones leg as it is vaguely similar process to that which could lead to a leg break.

You really think this is waterboarding?

Ok. Nothing left to say then I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭volchitsa

You really think this is waterboarding?
    I don't think he was tortured anything like as effectively as the CIA would have done, so to that extent no.

But I do think that when someone else said he was water boarded, it's not an entirely risible comparison, which is what the poster I was replying was saying.

The term waterboarding is not some copyrighted legal term, there are all sorts of improvised variations on a theme. This was a 15 year old, and he was subjected to an improvised, not terribly effective form of suffocation using water.

Pedantry about the term used is done to minimise that.
    Ok. Nothing left to say then I suppose.
    And yet you do, it seems.
    We both agree that this was horrible and disgraceful. I just disagree that it was waterboarding and feel that by overselling/exaggerating the abhorrent behaviour, you are lessening the impact of the bullying.

I didn't call it that, I'm just saying that the poster who ridiculed the very notion is being disingenuous. As are you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Oh and by the way, a couple of points from Wikipedia about waterboarding :

Doesn't have to have a board.

If it rains does it count as mass waterboarding

Pedantry about the term used is done to minimise that.

I would argue that it is you that is guilty of pedantry to maximise the incident.

Squeezing water into someone's face and classing it as an ineffective term of waterboarding is bizarre and a gross exaggeration of a horrible act of bullying.

• Advertisement

I would argue that it is you that are guilty of pedantry to maximise the incident.

Squeezing water into someone's face and classing it as an ineffective term of waterboarding is bizarre and a gross exaggeration of a horrible act of bullying.

Other than saying it was an attempt to kill or maim the victim - which nobody has suggested - could you explain what a "gross exaggeration" of a "horrible act" looks like?

Surely if it's a "horrible" act, then describing it as something horrible is hardly a gross exaggeration?

Maybe a minor exaggeration in an attempt to stop people from writing it off as pretty comparable to, say, a water fight? Or indeed, to "squeezing water in someone's face".

Because that's how that comes across to me, and TBH I think the problem is those people who think it's fair enough to compare it to a water fight, not the one who compared it to a torture technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Right, so as I suggested, you would indeed be a "This isn't torture, this is merely enhanced interrogation" kind of guy. :mad:

You realize that "waterboarding" doesn't actually need a board, right? It's merely a variant on forms of water torture that have existed for centuries. And even in its current guise, it doesn't require huge amounts of water : one bit you missed out is that a cloth is often put over the person's mouth and nose so that even small amounts of water block their breathing more effectively. Putting someone in a chokehold first could be another new and fun variation to increase the effect - after all, the old ones must get so boring after a while.

But no, you think it's "less water than you'd get in a water fight" :rolleyes:

This is a 15 year old kid FFS, whatever his nationality. But hey, the people who think it's shocking to any sort of variation on the theme of water torture to a kid are hysterical Helen Lovejoys (whoever that is) and it's just a bit of fun, like a water fight really.

That's how bullying and even abuse was allowed in the past, by hypothetically disapproving of it while systematically minimising it when it happened, and by calling those who don't want to go along with that narrative, "hysterical."

It's neither torture nor enhance interrogation, its a squirt of water in the face and hair. You'd get worse from a blast of a super soaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

All these re-reg accounts are very annoying.

It what has After Hours so far down in the pits right now. It'd be easy to stop too by imposing a wait on new accounts posting like in Soccer, but the Admins don't seem bothered.

It's neither torture nor enhance interrogation, its a squirt of water in the face and hair. You'd get worse from a blast of a super soaker.

And you really don't see much difference between choosing to have a water fight with a bunch of friends, where you can stop whenever you want, and what happened in that incident?

Not to mention that it's been suggested that the same people broke his arm.

But yeah, sure, it's like play fighting with your friends. Off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭facehugger99

DS86DS wrote: »
    Funny how you don't hear about the kids in German schools been attacked on a continual basis by the children of Syrian immigrants.

Selective outrage from the Whitey-is-evil brigade as usual.

Ah yes, the poor western white male demographic :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

It what has After Hours so far down in the pits right now. It'd be easy to stop too by imposing a wait on new accounts posting like in Soccer, but the Admins don't seem bothered.

No, its knobheads talking about getting a bit of water in their face and saying its waterboarding. My god there are some sensitive souls here.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭yoke

Meanwhile in Ireland we have our own problem, African heritage school boys ganging up in Balbriggan robbing children on the street and threatening pregnant women and their unborn children with broken glass bottles... Wheres the gratitude after their parents were welcomed here and granted asylum? Fcking disgraceful!

Well what do you expect if they grow up their whole lives being called n*gger whenever someone wants to have a go at them?

You can’t expect people to integrate if you don’t treat them as your equals - keep differentiating by calling them pejorative names and they will treat you differently back, it’s only natural.

Conversely, treat them the same and you will notice that they become the same as you, over time.

One of my kid’s friends is black (born in Ireland), he got suspended from school for fighting one time... I gathered later on that the fight started because the other guy called him n*gger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

At least people can have their say here, no matter whether you agree or not. Unlike other online media organs which usually close comments on anything remotely controversial.......https://www.thejournal.ie/syria-refugee-teen-uk-assault-video-4364636-Nov2018/

volchitsa wrote:
    Because that's how that comes across to me, and TBH I think the problem is those people who think it's fair enough to compare it to a water fight, not the one who compared it to a torture technique.

Nobody compared the act to a water fight. They compared the amount of water used as less than would be used in a water fight.
    volchitsa wrote:
    But yeah, sure, it's like play fighting with your friends. Off you go.

Nobody suggested that.

It seems that you are reading between lines that do not exist.

yoke wrote: »
    Well what do you expect if they grow up their whole lives being called n*gger whenever someone wants to have a go at them?

You can’t expect people to integrate if you don’t treat them as your equals - keep differentiating by calling them pejorative names and they will treat you differently back, it’s only natural.

Conversely, treat them the same and you will notice that they become the same as you, over time.

One of my kid’s friends is black (born in Ireland), he got suspended from school for fighting one time... I gathered later on that the fight started because the other guy called him n*gger

What a load of sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

What would be the ideal outcome is if that bullying sack of sh1t gets his come uppance and bullying in general gets highlighted.

However what is likely to happen is that it will be framed as a racist attack - which it may or may not be, as that thick English lad looks like the sort that lives to bully - and English kids will be severely punished if they stand up to a refugee kid bullying them and refugee and islamic bullies will be able to bully with no consequences.

This same mentality allowed thousands of girls to be raped and prostituted like chattel for years. And then people wonder why Tommy Robinson is popular.

professore wrote: »
    What would be the ideal outcome is if that bullying sack of sh1t gets his come uppance and bullying in general gets highlighted.

However what is likely to happen is that it will be framed as a racist attack - which it may or may not be - and English kids will be severely punished if they stand up to a refugee kid bullying them and refugee and islamic bullies will be able to bully with no consequences.

This same mentality allowed thousands of girls to be raped and prostituted like chattel for years. And then people wonder why Tommy Robinson is popular.

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

Ah yes, Lowerhouses. What a dive of an area. Huddersfield has to be one of the most racist ****holes I've ever had the misfortune of spending time in.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    This boy is NOT one of them. He is from Syria. So you are trying to shoehorn a seperate issue into a thread about a an attack on an injured boy from Syria. Why would you bring economic immigrants into this thread when it is not the topic of the thread? What have economic migrants got to do with a boy from Syria being bullied ? What possible reasons could you have for doing that, I wonder?
    Like I surmised earlier, you are either a nasty scumbag who's trying to **** stir for cynical reasons or one of the many thick as pig**** morons who can't see through the cynical manipulation of their own stupidity.

What part of Syria is he from?? You seem to know so much about him.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    At least people can have their say here, no matter whether you agree or not. Unlike other online media organs which usually close comments on anything remotely controversial.......https://www.thejournal.ie/syria-refugee-teen-uk-assault-video-4364636-Nov2018/

You do realise it says right at the end of the article why the comments are closed, yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

yoke wrote: »

Rubbish, no excuse to threaten the life of an innocent woman and her child while she went to the aid of a young boy being attacked and robbed in the fashion that happened recently in Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

A real English lion heart, like a young John Terry.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Faugheen wrote: »
    You do realise it says right at the end of the article why the comments are closed, yes?

Usually thejournal just says 'comments are closed for legal reasons' in relation to something that happens in the RoI. Normally anything that happens abroad has comments enabled whether someone has been charged or not. I'd say they just decided they didn't have the time or energy to moderate comments that such an article typically generates.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Usually thejournal just says 'comments are closed for legal reasons' in relation to something that happens in the RoI. Normally anything that happens abroad has comments enabled whether someone has been charged or not. I'd say they just decided they didn't have the time or energy to moderate comments that such an article typically generates.

Comments are also closed on the Ballybrack story. Nothing legal about that, like you said, i'd say they can't be arsed moderating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

What an ugly back and forth about what is obviously a contemptible incident. Just because people condemn one incident why do others come in and say Oh but what about the million other incidents?

As for the waterboarding analogy, it is obvious this is not overt waterboarding but it is an ugly form of bullying using water. It is reported that the bully said to the boy ''I will drown you,'' which indicates he knew he was going to try and induce that sensation via choking and water.

The boys sister was so badly bullied in the same school, including having her scarf ripped off, that she tried to commit suicide by slitting her wrists. The boy had a broken wrist from an earlier attack, I don't know who the attackers that time were.

The children are war refugees from Homs, Syria.

This kind of mocking ''Pshaw, shure isn't it the same bullying we all had,'' is trivialising the events, and is wrong and small-minded. These children are obviously being subjected to an orchestrated campaign of abuse from rotten nasty gougers and I hope the bullies are severely punished and expelled from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The kids FB page is now known. Unsurprisingly he is a tommy robinson fan. Along with a couple of FB pages for football casuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Zorya wrote: »
    What an ugly back and forth about what is obviously a contemptible incident. Just because people condemn one incident why do others come in and say Oh but what about the million other incidents?

As for the waterboarding analogy, it is obvious this is not overt waterboarding but it is an ugly form of bullying using water. It is reported that the bully said to the boy ''I will drown you,'' which indicates he knew he was going to try and induce that sensation via choking and water.

The boys sister was so badly bullied in the same school, including having her scarf ripped off, that she tried to commit suicide by slitting her wrists. The boy had a broken wrist from an earlier attack, I don't know who the attackers that time were.

The children are war refugees from Homs, Syria.

This kind of mocking ''Pshaw, shure isn't it the same bullying we all had,'' is trivialising the events, and is wrong and small-minded. These children are obviously being subjected to an orchestrated campaign of abuse from rotten nasty gougers and I hope the bullies are severely punished and expelled from school.

yeah but how do you know it's not a leafy middle class area of Homs? well? Wholly unscathed or ravaged by conflict? huh?

Or something

lawred2 wrote: »
    yeah but how do you know it's not a leafy middle class area of Homs? well? Wholly unscathed or ravaged by conflict? huh?

Or something

Hmmm. I'm thinking that's sarcasm, sometimes it's hard to know around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Zorya wrote: »

Have you ever seen bullying? The bolded above is exactly what it is. And it can go on for years. Calling someone gay once or something is not bullying in any meaningful sense.

• Advertisement

professore wrote: »
    Have you ever seen bullying? The bolded above is exactly what it is. And it can go on for years. Calling someone gay once or something is not bullying in any meaningful sense.

Yes. I homeschooled my children due to pervasive bullying as we were outsiders in an isolated rural community. You don't need to explain to me what bullying looks like.

Advertisement