Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The slow set...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

the Grove. 'Time after time'.

Jane, you were me first ever shift. Im sorry that (a) my tongue got tired and (b) i thought you said your name was 'chain' and i just thought that was weird. Then I thought you were 'Shane' and that disturbed me even more. It was only the next day I realised you must have been Jane....

PS I didnt know what to do after it so I just said thank you and left :facepalm:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

anewme wrote: »
    Unchained melody as played in Ghost. My 21st birthday party flashes before me.

Happy or sad?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Club Nassau advertises itself as 'Home of Slow Set'. They play mainly 80's music I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

infogiver wrote: »
    Happy or sad?

A moment in time.

can still remember my outfit!

Was in love with a much older guy, it all came out that night and was the biggest Scandal anyone heard of!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Advertisement

A stroke of genius really

Mind you I'll see your Spandau and raise you a Duran

https://youtu.be/6Uxc9eFcZyM

"i hear your name, in certain circles" ,jeez im getting old lol

"i hear your name, in certain circles" ,jeez im getting old lol

I've a worse one, wait now...

https://youtu.be/2cFOLFtw2Ic

haha "is this the train to desert moon"

• Advertisement

lets do one more

Penny lover
    Hello
    Suddenly
    Cherish

haha "is this the train to desert moon"

That's MT USA classic along with zz top

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

lets do one more

Same singer. Great taste we have!

anewme wrote: »
    Penny lover
    Hello
    Suddenly
    Cherish

Penny lover is class

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Yep, that was another sure fire number.

When you think of it, it was a great effort by society coaxing women into opening up to the prospect of a relationship, encouraging the mating ritual. Stick on a romantic song, introduce alcohol, have the whole peer pressure thing going on. The youth of today are being denied the opportunities we had...

Society was much better at that pre disco when everything was a slow set. And people danced with multiple partners on a night out.

Youth today have tinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

The Castle Arms Durrow on a Sunday night.
    DJ Nicholas Mooney slowing it down with

Then he'd speed it up with

or this one

Brilliant nights out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Ah the slow set. Where standards had no showing with the old beer goggles.

• If I could find something in Valentia but cahirciveen , portmagee or ballinaskelkigs would be perfect. .possibly in two or less years.

Suspect Ballinskelligs would be a little pricier than Caherciveen, but beautiful down around there - always think Caherciveen very underrated, tends to be almost bypassed while tourists go for the Kenmare, Sneem, Waterville, Killarney. Not a beautiful town, but good spot for going out, bit livelier than Waterville on a dark January night.

Prices aint going down though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

...has it definitely definitely disappeared or any clubs or pubs out there still churn it out?

Probably, somewhere in Roscommon or Edenderry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

And if all that there is is this fear of being used, I should go back to being lonely and confused.

If I could.

I would.

I swear.

• This says it all really:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEViQXpUsIo

"Slow set is dead. What do you say, when you're eternal flame Has been drowned by her Purple rain"

I remember one night - forgive me I was very young then - thinking it was a good idea to stand stock still in the middle of a dance floor when "So Long Marienne" came on, with my head in my hand. Just stood there during the whole song.

When I was asked if I was ok I just answered "Yea - it's just such a sad song". Never got so many offers of drinks, chats, or the company of so many girls in one night in my life. Was meant to try it again sometime - but I fear I grew up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

infogiver wrote: »
    I've a worse one, wait now...

https://youtu.be/2cFOLFtw2Ic
    That needs to be full screen with memories of MTUSA and Sundays sitting at home listening to music we would rarely hear on the radio and videos we'd never see. (Tempted to fire up George Thorogood now:confused:)

If you were any way shy, the slow set was an absolute nightmare but you would get experience by being a wingman, asking your friends female interests' friend for a dance to increase his chances of a dance. And that lead to many interesting situations:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

The lad who used to DJ in the local GAA club always played Baby Stop Crying by Bob Dylan as part of the slow set, it was his calling card, so to speak. I don't think I ever heard it played anywhere else.

Mind you, there was probably a few young wans crying most nights at the state of the big mullahs giving them their best moves....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

blastman wrote: »
    The lad who used to DJ in the local GAA club always played Baby Stop Crying by Bob Dylan as part of the slow set, it was his calling card, so to speak. I don't think I ever heard it played anywhere else..

I love that song :)

Around 1999, I was sixteen and my brother and his mate took me to the local nightclub.

At the end of the night, they played this and the whole nightclub sang and danced along. :/ My brother said that the DJ played it as the last song every week. I think the slow set was gone then but the DJ was trying recreate it or something :)

Advertisement