Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Cranberries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Yep; Like listening to nails scraped down a blackboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

silence does not rhyme with violence

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I don't know, the Corrs at least weren't really trying to be cool or edgy or anything and their music was about as offensive as lift music. They were kind of riding on that short lived wave of the UK thinking Ireland was kind of cool (or maybe it was just Chris Evans), and not just bombs and hate, which was the only reason we'd been in the news for decades. Plus they were nice to look at (especially Jim Caroline!).

Incidentally I've never been in a lift that played music.
    Fixed that for you!

I'd never read the words to that John Lennon sing before. Christ almighty.

I think of it as the musical equivalent to William McGonagall's classic poem "The Tay Bridge Disaster".

*sigh* If only John Lennon had been supported on each side with buttresses... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

murpho999 wrote: »
    I liked the Cranberries in their day and think their first two albums were very good.

Thing is threads like this no matter what musician/band/artist it is about will always result in people posting how crap the music is/was.

That's probably because taste varies. I can't believe I have to point that out! I also can't believe you are illustrating your point by mentioning Bowie and the Beatles though. Whilst even they would have people not liking their music, the Cranberries wish they were even a smidgen as good as either of those acts. It's with very good reason that many people, me included, don't like Dolores and co. - they're sh1te!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Robineen wrote: »
    That's probably because taste varies. I can't believe I have to point that out! I also can't believe you are illustrating your point by mentioning Bowie and the Beatles though. Whilst even they would have people not liking their music, the Cranberries wish they were even a smidgen as good as either of those acts. It's with very good reason that many people, me included, don't like Dolores and co. - they're sh1te!

OK, so can you direct me towards the international critically acclaimed hit album you have written so I can just compare it to what The Cranberries have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

How come it's ok to appreciate something without having created one yourself, but it's a requirement for criticising something in some people's eyes?

Don't mind the cranberries, some decent songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

While I prefer 'Linger' and 'Dreams' I don't understand all the hate for 'Zombie'. Just saw there the video for Zombie has over 470 million views on YouTube. Something to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭gifted

I saw the cranberries in killarney..14 years ago I think...they opened for the counting crows....cranberries were brilliant, really got the crowd going...counting crows came on and they just ruined the atmosphere....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

gifted wrote: »
    I saw the cranberries in killarney..14 years ago I think...they opened for the counting crows....cranberries were brilliant, really got the crowd going...counting crows came on and they just ruined the atmosphere....

Well now, there just plain awful. I'd like to run up and kick that lead singer in the nuts, multiple times. Anyone who owns an album of there's should be knee capped.

• Advertisement

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Well now, there just plain awful. I'd like to run up and kick that lead singer in the nuts, multiple times. Anyone who owns an album of there's should be knee capped.

Don't like their songs. The only exception being 'Colourblind' - song used in 'Cruel Intentions'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Always weird hearing Cantonese Cranberries in Chungking Express

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

OK, so can you direct me towards the international critically acclaimed hit album you have written so I can just compare it to what The Cranberries have done?

By your own yardstick, unless you've written an international critically acclaimed hit album, your opinion on music is equally worthless.

If you are Dolores O'Riordan, please don't beat me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Oh Jesus, damn you for reminding me they ever existed. I think their whole credo was based on spending a few weeks in California one time and they came back thinking they were the Beach Boys during the Pet Sounds era... That whiny stupid voice he put on. Shame on your The Thrills, shame on you.

"What's your name?"
    'Poiiirc'
    "Pork?"
    'no, Pooooiiiirccccc'
    "Write it down for me ... oh Padraic, sure why didn't you just say that".

One of the better Gift Grub moments there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Have to laugh at all the dismissive comments.

The most successful Irish band of all time, apart from U2.

How many 25 year old songs have half a billion views on youtube (Zombie). That's twice has much as any U2 song, comfortably more than any song by Madonna, Bruce Springsteen or the Beatles.

But some joe soap on boards thinks they're crap, so they must be......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

By your own yardstick, unless you've written an international critically acclaimed hit album, your opinion on music is equally worthless.

If you are Dolores O'Riordan, please don't beat me up.

It's not my yardstick, I'm just trying to make a point.

To say that a band that have albums that are critically acclaimed (read the reviews) are just shoite is just wrong in my opinion.

Something not being to your taste does not mean you can just go on the net and label something as crap.

infogiver wrote: »
    Dolores was more or less neglecting her kids and starting to become physically abusive.
    The husband had to go to court in Canada to have her removed from the family home.
    The kids will happily see/speak on the phone to Dolores mother but not Dolores.
    Sad thing is Dolores not too bothered about that.

I'll trust you have a good lawyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Multi Platinum selling artists.. Someone liked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's not my yardstick, I'm just trying to make a point.

To say that a band that have albums that are critically acclaimed (read the reviews) are just shoite is just wrong in my opinion.

Something not being to your taste does not mean you can just go on the net and label something as crap.

Some people think it's great. Some people think it's not great.

Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

They were on the same flight as me once, in 1995, to San Francisco. I met the three lads in the airport but Dolores had gone already while they waited for luggage.

"Wanted" from the first album was pretty good. In fact, that whole album was reasonably good in the sense that here was a new Irish band playing this polished, commercial, accessible music that became commercially successful in the UK and USA. Sure they were on a major label but there was a market for that kind of thing and they took their chance.

I seem to remember they first toured the States supporting Suede, and the US audiences didn't really know what to make of Suede but loved the Cranberries.

From then on their music wasn't as appealing. The Thrills though, what an awful, awful, awful band. From concept to delivery. I remember seeing two of them in Yamamori looking completely miserable (this was after their stock had gone down). And yes, they made a conscious decision to play 70's West Coast rock, and went about ordering all the big albums from that genre via a CD ordering club. Rather than, you know, organically growing to love and want to play a particular type of music. Just so calculated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think the debut album is as close to a masterpiece as any debut album has a right to be. I don't know if the perfect pop song has ever been made, but Dreams comes pretty close.

Think they lost their way slightly afterwards, but there are still some good moments in subsequent albums. I guess Dolores O'Riordan has a kind of marmite voice, I happen to be a fan myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Never was a big fan. Maybe some of their stuff was of its' time. But you can't argue that they've been the most successful Irish band since U2. Why have most other Irish bands not come anywhere near their success? Perhaps they're not nor ever were good enough.

And yes, they made a conscious decision to play 70's West Coast rock, and went about ordering all the big albums from that genre via a CD ordering club. Rather than, you know, organically growing to love and want to play a particular type of music. Just so calculated.

I initially read that as 'West Cork rock' and was thinking to myself what is that. They probably would have been a slightly better band had they not had yer man as the lead singer. Such a strained unnatural voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I initially read that as 'West Cork rock' and was thinking to myself what is that. They probably would have been a slightly better band had they not had yer man as the lead singer. Such a strained unnatural voice.

And he could not sing live for love nor money. I heard a few performances by them over the years and your man always sounded atrocious, obviously without studio trickery he just couldn't do it.

What an utterly daft comeback. You can only dislike a band's music if you yourself have made music?

Let me ask you, murpho, had there never been a popular band you didn't like? And if so, did you feel like you couldn't criticise them because you haven't recorded music yourself?

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Have to laugh at all the dismissive comments.

The most successful Irish band of all time, apart from U2.

How many 25 year old songs have half a billion views on youtube (Zombie). That's twice has much as any U2 song, comfortably more than any song by Madonna, Bruce Springsteen or the Beatles.

But some joe soap on boards thinks they're crap, so they must be......

Let me get this straight - if someone dislikes their music, they're wrong? This is playground stuff.

Oh and many crap things are wildly popular. It's not a marker of quality. 400,000 tickets were sold for Garth Brooks here three years ago. Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Dolores has mental health/substance abuse problems, I hope people can understand that. Have seen her out a few times, she has a minder/babysitter following her around while she gets wrecked. It's actually quite sad to see.

Not a big fan of their music but they've some great tunes, Dreams and Linger especially.

One of the Hogan brothers runs a recording studio, the other is involved on the techie side of things for bigger shows that come to Ireland I think - both are a pleasure to deal with, lovely guys.

Robineen wrote: »
    Let me get this straight - if someone dislikes their music, they're wrong? This is playground stuff.

Oh and many crap things are wildly popular. It's not a marker of quality. 400,000 tickets were sold for Garth Brooks here three years ago. Yup.

I never said anyone was right or wrong. But why not say that I said it; and then say that its playground stuff for me to say it......I believe there's a word for that.

Half a billion people like Zombie enough to watch on youtube, 100 million for Linger. They have sold how many millions of albums - 20? 30?

Nobody is right or wrong about music. You either like it, or you don't like it. In this case, you don't like it.....loads of other people do, just like as you say loads of other people like Garth Brooks. Get over it, and don't be such a musical snob; because I can guarantee you that whatever music you like, plenty of other people out there think its crap.

Going to go out on a limb here....

I think there music sounds a lot better(I) if you don't understand the lyrics and (ii) if you are not Irish.

Irish people hear Zombie and they cringe at the republican related content, and probably also at her Limerick accent - a Chilean or Spanish or Brazilian person doesn't come with that baggage, as a listener. Cranberries were and are huge in South America.

Other point on Cranberries - Stephen Street. He worked with them on their first two albums; their output dipped a bit when they stopped working with him.

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I never said anyone was right or wrong. But why not say that I said it; and then say that its playground stuff for me to say it......I believe there's a word for that.

Half a billion people like Zombie enough to watch on youtube, 100 million for Linger. They have sold how many millions of albums - 20? 30?

Nobody is right or wrong about music. You either like it, or you don't like it. In this case, you don't like it.....loads of other people do, just like as you say loads of other people like Garth Brooks. Get over it, and don't be such a musical snob; because I can guarantee you that whatever music you like, plenty of other people out there think its crap.

I wouldn't be calling anyone else a musical snob when you were quite happy to dismiss the views of "joe soap" boards users. What makes your views more valid? Are you also not just a joe soap boards user? What makes you stand out as a trusted musical arbiter?

The very fact that a Cranberries song has far more views than any Beatles one highlights that popularity is not really a marker of quality.

Advertisement