Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I bet you didnt know that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

By that I mean is "empty" space actually made of some sort of "stuff" or is it just defined as the distance between other "stuff". I personally find it hard to believe it's not made of something - for the simple reasons that I can't really comprehend nothingness (a lack of anything at all implies non existence to me, and if you're looking at it how can you say it doesn't exist!) and also seeing as "empty" space can transmit force, carry light etc, it seems reasonable to expect that there must be some medium to physically enable the transmitting / carrying.

Sorry - I realise these are questions, not snippets of information!

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question correctly, but if I am, this has already been solved by Einstein. Yes, the "empty" space is made out of something, we call it space-time and Einstien calls its a "fabric" because it's malleable.

Einsteins General Theory of Relativity is all about Space-Time and how objects move and interact in it. When you accept that what you visually see as "empty" as you describe it, is an actual fabric that holds everything together, then it becomes more obvious why objects can orbit around each other.

It also explains why light bends around large objects like stars, because space-time itself bends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Woody Guthrie’s song Vigilante man was written about a slum lord in New York driving up rents to force people out so he could sell the land.
    The slum lord in question was Donald trumps father.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question correctly, but if I am, this has already been solved by Einstein. Yes, the "empty" space is made out of something, we call it space-time and Einstien calls its a "fabric" because it's malleable.

I just about grasp the spacetime thing, as in the concept of space and time being intrinsically linked and how that gives rise to things like time dilation and so on, you can't move through one without effecting the other. So far, so clear as mud.

But I'm still a bit lost as to whether it is an actual physical thing, or it's just the nothing between physical things, kind of like the holes in a sieve say.

When the universe expands is it because more of this spacetime "stuff" has been physically created (in which case what is being made from?) or is it just that the other stuff has moved and the gaps between have gotten bigger?

I've a feeling I'm explaining this like a five year old coming back from anaesthetic!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

david75 wrote: »
    Woody Guthrie’s song Vigilante man was written about a slum lord in New York driving up rents to force people out so he could sell the land.
    The slum lord in question was Donald trumps father.

insert not sure if serious meme here

The song is about the hired thugs ("vigilantes") who would violently chase away migrants to California trying to escape the Dust Bowl, a man-made ecological catastrophe in the American Great Plains during the 1930s.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

https://youtu.be/jANuVKeYezs
    This is the song he wrote about Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

But I'm still a bit lost as to whether it is an actual physical thing, or it's just the nothing between physical things, kind of like the holes in a sieve say.

When the universe expands is it because more of this spacetime "stuff" has been physically created (in which case what is being made from?) or is it just that the other stuff has moved and the gaps between have gotten bigger?
    Yeah, it's actual stuff and more of it is physically created when the universe expands.

So when galaxy clusters move apart it is due space being created between them not their own motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Even asked to bite down on something like say if you were at the dentist getting a mouth guard fitted...well you can't bite down, only up, because of course it's your jaw that moves and your bottom teeth move with it. So you can't move your top teeth at all thus you can only bite up.

Fourier wrote: »
    Yeah, it's actual stuff and more of it is physically created when the universe expands.

So when galaxy clusters move apart it is due space being created between them not their own motion.
    Is that just a hypothesis or is it a proven fact?

Where could it possibly be coming from? It's creation must require energy of some sort?

Is that just a hypothesis or is it a proven fact?

Where could it possibly be coming from? It's creation must require energy of some sort?
    Proven fact.

Spacetime is capable of creating more of itself under the right conditions, it doesn't require energy.

Proven fact.

Spacetime is capable of creating more of itself under the right conditions, it doesn't require energy.

Surely no energy requirement would mean its not a physical thing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

AllForIt wrote: »
    Even asked to bite down on something like say if you were at the dentist getting a mouth guard fitted...well you can't bite down, only up, because of course it's your jaw that moves and your bottom teeth move with it. So you can't move your top teeth at all thus you can only bite up.
    Yep. On the other hand Parrots can move both jaws(beaks).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Surely no energy requirement would mean its not a physical thing?
    No, energy isn't really required despite spacetime being physical. Physicality doesn't imply energy being required.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

No, energy isn't really required despite spacetime being physical. Physicality doesn't imply energy being required.

Hm. Doesn't that break the conservation law? The vacuum contains energy, doesn't it?

Doesn't that break the conservation law?
    Energy conservation applies to matter, not spacetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Peanuts grow underground.

Kablamo! wrote: »

Legumes!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Cartouche wrote: »

Eg: you don't need to be great at maths to be an architect

this is obvious to me but everyone says to me "i wanted to be an architect but i was bad at math,i can barely add"

This is so true. The amount of times we receive a set of drawings and attempt to lay out walls/ceilings to find out that the architect has added up the room sizes incorrectly or didn't measure the actual floor area properly is unreal.

Polar bears are left handed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Legumes!

So are soya beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

mfceiling wrote: »

Except this lad (hope this attaches right)

search?q=coca+cola+polar+bear&client=ms-android-tmobile-gb&prmd=ivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwif6_qeqrzXAhVJCsAKHdbKA_cQ_AUIEigB#

So are soya beans.

Well, they are beans after all...

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Well, they are beans after all...

And the clue was in Peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Polar bears don't have hands

Myth busters covered this years ago.
    Myth: Polar bears are “left pawed”
    There is no evidence to support the notion that all great white bears are left pawed. Scientists observing the animals haven't noticed a preference. In fact, polar bears seem to use their right and left paws equally.

The word "Arctic" comes from the Greek for bear, and "Antarctic" comes from the Greek, meaning "opposite of the Arctic" or "opposite of the bear."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

The dot on an i and j is called a tittle ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

So are soya beans.

However, unlike peanuts, they don't grow underground. :)

New Home wrote: »
    However, unlike peanuts, they don't grow underground. :)

Absolutely. Yet the peanut, or ground nut, is still the seed of the fertilised flower that appears, as usual with plants, on stems of the plant above ground. The ovary is located at the base of what appears to be the flower stem but is actually an extremely elongated floral cup. After the flower is fertilised, a stalk at the base of the ovary lengthens to form a thread-like structure known as a page. The peg grows down into the soil, and the tip, which contains the ovary, develops into the peanut pod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Kablamo! wrote: »
    Former US president Jimmy Carter was a peanut farmer from Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

gogo wrote:
    The dot on an i and j is called a tittle

Matthew 5:18: "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Absolutely. Yet the peanut, or ground nut, is still the seed of the fertilised flower that appears, as usual with plants, on stems of the plant above ground. The ovary is located at the base of what appears to be the flower stem but is actually an extremely elongated floral cup. After the flower is fertilised, a stalk at the base of the ovary lengthens to form a thread-like structure known as a page. The peg grows down into the soil, and the tip, which contains the ovary, develops into the peanut pod.

We always called them monkey nuts when they were in every kids pocket for weeks after Halloween. But in truth the only monkeys that eat peanuts are contained in zoos, as peanuts don't tend to grow where monkeys live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,453 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The little hard pointy bit at the end of a shoelace is called an Aglet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement