Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are so many social scientists left-liberal?

Options
  • 11-02-2015 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

William Reville posed the question in the Irish Times:

He opines:
    Every social scientist I ever met was liberal-left. This uniformity always struck me as very odd. I accidentally came across a new, rigorous academic analysis of this question in the journal Behavioral and Brain Sciences. The authors are worried by recent problems in social psychology research, including fraud and problems with replicating results

Further:
    Psychology has robustly demonstrated the value of diversity of viewpoints for improving creativity, discovery and problem-solving. The authors conclude that lack of political diversity undermines much social-psychological science by embedding liberal values into the research questions and methods, by steering researchers away from politically unpalatable research topics and results, and encouraging conclusions to be drawn that mischaracterise liberals and conservatives. Of course, homogeneously conservative social sciences would face the same problem as homogeneously left-liberal social sciences.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/why-are-so-many-social-scientists-left-liberal-1.2082755

I expect young people to be liberal and a lot of social science is young, but I have suspected that there is more than a little group think involved for some time in social science with the potential for driving disastrous social policy.

What do people think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

It's a interesting notion to be debated alright. You would like to think that all scientists and peoples ingaged in research were neutral and leave there political, social and moral viewpoints to aside to create results that were not accidentally or otherwise skewed in one direction or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Basically, a social scientist is going to be looking at society on a macro level and more likely to be aware of different social groups and be more open-minded about different groups and lifestyles.
    A conservative individual is generally less likely to be concerned with people different from themselves and more concerned with maintaining their own position.

And social scientists are likely to be fairly well educated and therefore more exposed to information about the world and be more open-minded.

All very generally of course.
    reprise wrote: »

the potentil for driving disastrous social policy.

What do people think?

Why disastrous?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Well analysis of how a society works, its nuances, grassroots and so on, is pretty left-wing in and of itself isn't it?
    I mean, to give an example: when some kid commits an awful violent crime, the left wants to examine their background and what factors led to them turning out the way they did, whereas the right prefers to focus on the here and now and deems examination of the background to be making excuses, whereas it's not to make excuses - it's very valuable to address what factors lead to such problems, in order to prevent same recurring.
    (Obviously I only mean very generally speaking).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

The rich want to mainstain the status quo and thus are conservative / right wing

The young educated start off liberal, grow rich and move to the right as they get older.

Social scientists are those that work with and for the majority of whats good for society not the narrow pointy rich top of the pyramid and thus are lefties.

Its always been the same, it will always be the same. No one wants to change the system they just want to be in the top pointy bit.

Its not rocket science.

They are there to balance out the right-wing economists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

People can think you're lefter than Trotsky or righter than the KKK depending on what perspective they have on your opinion when in reality you are probably somewhere around the middle.

Basically, a social scientist is going to be looking at society on a macro level and more likely to be aware of different social groups and be more open-minded about different groups and lifestyles.
    A conservative individual is generally less likely to be concerned with people different from there, and more concerned with maintaining their own position.

And social scientists are likely to be fairly well educated and therefore more exposed to information about the world and be more open-minded.

I'ma agree with the two kings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Economics is a social science, and those right-wing economists are all social scientists though - so the article is pretty far wrong (or maybe that was your point :pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Reality is left liberal. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

A conservative individual is generally less likely to be concerned with people different from there, and more concerned with maintaining their own position.

Why disastrous?

In fairness if you are a left-liberal it does not necessarily mean that you are more open minded and educated. A person could be conservative leaning to the right but open-minded on the direction thier conservatism takes.Plenty of conservatives are educated too!:D

However I agree with your point about social scientists analysis of society. Which make them look at how the different strands of society can interact and function. Resulting in a hippie tinge :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I'ma agree with the two kings.
    I said, when two, Kingses post before you (that's what I said now)...

so the article is pretty far wrong (or maybe that was your point :pac:).

As long as there are no follow up questions, yes, yes it was.

So far, kings and a bishop have posted. I await pawns, queens, knights and rooks.

So far, kings and a bishop have posted. I await pawns, queens, knights and rooks.

I've been called a pawn and a queen at various stages in my life. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Venus and Earth have posted too. Only six planets left.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Three words:

Government Grant Money.

Anyone who relies on government money to advance professional is left liberal. To be anything else is to be a turkey voting for christmas.

In fairness, although I'm left-liberal myself and dislike William Reville, I think the article has a point. If the field were more diverse it would likely generate more ideas and be better for it. I don't think there's anything much to disagree with there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

reprise wrote: »
    William Reville posed the question in the Irish Times:

He opines:

Further:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/why-are-so-many-social-scientists-left-liberal-1.2082755

I expect young people to be liberal and a lot of social science is young, but I have suspected that there is more than a little group think involved for some time in social science with the potential for driving disastrous social policy.

What do people think?

It goes beyond that. Most scientists are liberal people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

steddyeddy wrote: »
    It goes beyond that. Most scientists are liberal people.

He suggests a more even spread in STEM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

In other words, the liberal values of feminism and environmentalism were embedded in the ethical assumptions.

The author, a biochemist, has decided that the disparate fields of feminism and environmentalism are 'liberal values'. Has this been agreed upon by academia?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Turtwig wrote: »
    Reality is left liberal. :pac:

only if you are blind to logic and reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Social Democracy is the only game in town. 75 years of post war analysis has shown that Western Europe has very little time for gibbering lunatics on the right or gibbering lunatics on the left. We are pragmatic creatures. The last 30 years has seen a trend towards social liberalism and soft economic conservatism. It's a fine place to be at the moment. It's a freedom of choice.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    The author, a biochemist, has decided that the disparate fields of feminism and environmentalism are 'liberal values'. Has this been agreed upon by academia?
    And he uses the term "liberal-left" which puts me off straightaway. As opposed to... "liberal-right"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A desire to fit in. Given the mental group think of the left and the pressure to conform means that they do not deviate from their dubious version of the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

http://jacobinism.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/stigmatise-shame-and-silence.html
    In academia, the humanities began a process of decline as the demands of rigorous and fair-minded scholarship gave way to the requirements of a stultifying and increasingly censorious political correctness. The pursuit of objective truth and knowledge fell before endlessly competing claims from subjective 'lived experiences' and 'narratives', and international solidarity fell before a grotesque cultural relativism, itself informed by a neurotic culture of self-lacerating guilt. The lexicon of political activism - originally developed to identify irrational judgements made about people based on their unalterable characteristics - assumed a metaphysical dimension. Racism, misogyny, and homophobia were no longer alterable matters of law, belief, and practice - they became immovable structural toxins, against which not even the most broad-minded liberal could be reliably immunised, and to which well-intentioned people were often subject without their knowledge.

a good article about the direction of the left-liberals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Danny Dorling answered a similar question with 'that's just what happens when you study society long enough'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

And he uses the term "liberal-left" which puts me off straightaway. As opposed to... "liberal-right"?

Ultimately it's an opinion piece regardless of its author's credentials.

Surely environmentalism is concern with the condition of the biosphere that sustains all life? I'm baffled as to how concern with the very planet that sustains all life and how we impact upon it as human beings could be characterised as a 'liberal value'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Surely environmentalism is concern with the condition of the biosphere that sustains all life? I'm baffled as to how concern with the very planet that sustains all life and how we impact upon it as human beings could be characterised as a 'liberal value'.

An opinion piece based on this:

Political Diversity Will Improve Social Psychological Science

https://journals.cambridge.org/images/fileUpload/documents/Duarte-Haidt_BBS-D-14-00108_preprint.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

It's complete rubbish with the usual caricatures. All of the academic left are data-less cultural theorists, whilst the right are rigorous value- free scientists. Environmentalism has already been coopted by the most conservative disciplines already - ecological economics, renewable energy law etc. Meanwhile we hear people like Tomas Piketty, for example, address issues such as the myth of equality-generating growth from within economics itself. Reality is much messier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Ostrom wrote: »
    It's complete rubbish with the usual caricatures. All of the academic left are data-less cultural theorists, whilst the right are rigorous value- free scientists. Environmentalism has already been coopted by the most conservative disciplines already - ecological economics, renewable energy law etc. Meanwhile we hear people like Tomas Piketty, for example, address issues such as the myth of equality-generating growth from within economics itself. Reality is much messier.
    In what way is environmentalism co-opted by ecological economics? Do you view ecological economics as bad?

I've not read up on ecological economics as much as other economic schools, but (led by guys like Herman Daly), it definitely seems to be doing a lot of important work on putting together economic theories which don't depend upon neverending-growth (of the kind which makes climate change inevitable), as our current monetary system does.

Advertisement