Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords CP this wk/end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Eh, lads - who ordered the rain? I specifically asked for a sunny GP!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

stupid sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

got back to late to ride and their was an a4 race, so shot up on the motor bike i think it was the a2/3 race i helped out with

few pics http://s804.photobucket.com/albums/yy327/killalanerr/swords%20GP/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,113 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm definitely looking forward to seeing you guys suffering;)
    My wish was granted

Slippery conditions today - I understand there was a crash (A3?) at the fast corner on the descent off the Nags Head, with one rider reverting to BMX-style riding to get back on the road. Another guy came off elsewhere on the circuit, and was left with plenty of roadrash on his thigh

Separate A4, A3 and a combined A1/A2 race, with Ryaner taking 3rd place in the A4 and Ryan Sherlock getting 5th in the A1/A2 race.

Plenty of boardsie representation - here's some pictures of a few:

Not suffering enough (he took the hint next time round though;)):
    SwordsGP2011047.jpg?t=1307291207

First Lady;):

SwordsGP2011174.jpg?t=1307291073

Oldest Boardsie (photographer excepted;)):

SwordsGP2011089.jpg?t=1307291078

Fastest Boardsie:

SwordsGP2011066-1.jpg?t=1307291596

Winningest Boardsie:

SwordsGP2011036.jpg?t=1307291769

Rottenest Boardsie;):

SwordsGP2011082.jpg?t=1307292012

I'll put some more up on the photobucket account later

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Missed the break (kinda on purpose as I was being marked closely and thought it would be better to bridge on the climb) - I didn't get across and there was a lot of negative racing after that.

Last time up the climb, I decided to do a solo TT effort, fastest lap of my race and could see 3rd on the final climb but couldn't get to it (I was 3-4 minutes back when I started the last lap I think).

My file is up here: http://app.strava.com/athletes/8492

Great course out there, well run event too. We need more races like that before the RAS as prep - a good drag is great as it is not so easy to be a scrubber and it forces everyone to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Race was good! The oldest Boardsie had a puncture...a nail no less thru the rear wheel! got a change from Colm Rigley (a junior wheel) and chased and caught them just shy of the flyover before heading back onto the N1. Happy days no big gears so I will motor up the climb...or so I thought...Punctured at the start of the climb, hit a pothole. Ferguson (aka b0ll0x)on it. A crashed A2 rider, ex clubmate was on hand to give me his sram or shimano 11 speed wheel for my campag 10 speed. I can tell you all now that they dont work together...except the 11 sprocket. I chased with my ex, he got the junior wheel this time! for a full lap in the 53x11 we caught them at the foot of the climb exactly where I punctured the previous lap. Now I can tell you I was absolutely Fegusoned going up on the 39x11 and got the bullet near the top...no worries I will chase back on got them again just before Ballyboughal. Happy days....The lights were turned off permanently the next time on the hill and I must admit, although I feel ashamed to admit, I quit!!!

So thats it I deserve a premiership trophy next year!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

Good turnout with 60 in the A3 bunch - 4 and a half laps and up the nags head 5 times. Cycled out and arrived at the sign on for 11 am to find out there was an hour delay. Thank god I went out with another guy from the club as we were able chat away and kill the time. Had done the course twice in the swords club league and apart from up the naggs head climb it wasn't as hard. The main difference between the two were that the speed yo yo'd quite a bit in the A3's as the bunch reacted to break attempts compared to the constant effort in the league races.

Kept well up the front on the first lap and led the bunch onto the climb but just took it easy up it. A break went on the first full lap and was doing turns of the front with 4 guys, just keeping the pace ticking along. Had to laugh at lads shouting to chase down people jumping off the front as they were sitting comfortably in the middle of the bunch. If you want to chase people down then come out and do it yourself! Anyway the wannabe directeur sportifs giving orders annoyed me a bit so i just dropped back into the bunch and span along for another lap before trying to get away on the motorway. Came to nothing so just ticked along till the 2nd last time up the climb. Pace up it was good - set mostly by two Cuchulainn lads and then I took it up for the final section. Tried to break off the summit a few times and got a bit of a gap once or twice but the bunch kept getting pulled back.

Was at the front taking taking it handy into ballyboughal and sat up for a bit as two guys went up the road. Nobody was reacting so put the head down and went after them, making sure not to drag the entire bunch with me. Figured that a break had to go before the motorway as everything was chased down on it. Picked up one of the guys from swords and was joined by a guy I knew well from our stint in the A4's. We got the pace line going and kept plunging away. First time I looked back and the bunch were hovering but we were joined by another guy then and with 4 we kicked on better and caught one guy ahead - 5. Kept the pace high and when i looked back again I couldn't see the bunch. Happy Days! We worked well on the motorway and were joined by two more guys and fair play to them they didn't hang at the back but went straight to work in the line.

At the turn off the motorway to the climb i passed pprenderville doing marshal duty and gave him by best blue steel face. Knew that we had it at this point but the a few of us still put good turns in. I put in a big effort half way up and then John from Navan did likewise and just kept if going for the rest of the way up. When I look back we were clear with the bunch eating up some of the guys from our break. John took the win and really deserved it as he had been doing lots of turns at he the front the whole day. Came 2nd and was pretty happy to get some A3 points.

Fantastic feed of apple pie, sambos, tea and coffee after the race and thanks to swords cc who made it happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Fair play to honkjelly and John Kenny. John did big turns on the front the whole race and deserved the win. I was a bit surprised the winning break stuck. We had a man in it and I chased everything down last lap but was surprised how few had a big dig to get across or bring it back. I saw our man coming back on the last climb and gave it a dig and made the top 10 but not the prizes. Looking forward to next year.

Great circuit-I'm surprised Swords riders don't take all the big climbing prizes on the calendar (presuming that's the club league circuit?) Thanks to Swords CC for a great event, safe, well organized, decent distance for A3s, and lots of cake.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,113 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Fair play to ryaner, LDB and honkjelly, great to see some swords riders get results on the home circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

honkjelly is a Dublin Wheeler *spits* ( ;) ) but very much a wednesday night regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

honkjelly is a Dublin Wheeler *spits* ( ;) ) but very much a wednesday night regular.

a bit of poaching is called for me thinks. Joe McNally - get out your chequebook (or use tarts/cakes/tea/coffee as he seems to like these). this man is A1/2 material shortly I think after his upcoming mid-summer Swiss training camp/sufferfest up the mountains.

my season has come a shuddering halt last week or so. missed last 2 Wed lge spins and looks like this week as well. flu like symptoms since last Turs and feels like im swallowing nails every time i swallow now. gargling warm water with copious amounts of salt and on meds which im hoping fixes me. might try a jens voigt and just say shut up throat on wed night.

enjoyed marshalling yesterday altough would have preferred to have been riding. arrived on time only to find out race was delayed an hour so went back home with friend for tea and came back out late only to bump into Joe McNally on old N1. got hi-vizeses and flag off him and was assigned to turn off for Nags head. got lots of pics from here so here are a few of these best. Lusk_Doyle - you're some poser. well done to all yesterday. thank God the rain stayed away for the most part.

picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9692
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9693
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9694
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9695
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9696
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9697
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9698
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9699
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9700
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9701
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9702
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9703
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9704
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9705
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9706

picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9707
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9708
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9709
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9710
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9711
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9712
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9713
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9714
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9715
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9716
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9717
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9718
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9719
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9720

picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9721
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9722
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9723
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9724
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9725
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9726
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9727
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9728
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9729
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9730
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9731
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9732
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9733
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9734
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9735

picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9736
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9737
    And finally.
    picture.php?albumid=1741&pictureid=9738
    which one of these lads won the race? well done on getting away. would sicken you alright listening to people shouting to catch breaks when they do nothing themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

which one of these lads won the race? well done on getting away. would sicken you alright listening to people shouting to catch breaks when they do nothing themselves.

Was 1st and 2nd as you see in the picture. It's ok when you are up the road cos you don't hear them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Lusk_Doyle - you're some poser.

Thanks P! Must get rid of that helmet. Awful mushroom looking thing on the top of my head so it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

morana wrote: »
    .... I was absolutely Fegusoned...

LOL!. That's one to use in the future:D.
    honkjelly wrote: »
    Had to laugh at lads shouting to chase down people jumping off the front as they were sitting comfortably in the middle of the bunch. If you want to chase people down then come out and do it yourself!

Same craic in Donegal, guys going off the front & one or two muppets sitting in the bunch shouting "Up, Up, Up". Shove it Up yer hole gobsh*tes.
    honkjelly wrote: »
    John took the win and really deserved it as he had been doing lots of turns at he the front the whole day. Came 2nd and was pretty happy to get some A3 points.

You two guys will be joining me in A2 very soon, sooner than I want to know:rolleyes:. Well done honkjelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

I have to agree with the comments about lads shouting to jump and follow wheels etc, always does my head in, I remember one lad giving out because he was blocked in and no one would go with an attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Rocketpocket

I done the A3 race.Hardest race ive ever done,fair play to the lads in the break staying away, i tried to get away a few times but no luck.Anyone got the results?

might have pictures of you if you want me to have a look. what club gear/bike were you on?