Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

My understanding was that Supernova was owned by a consortium - pretty much all of whom involved in it owning businesses in Ballincollig, could well be that the businesses which generate greater revenue might need offices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

ofcork wrote: »
    Murphy electrical have closed their shop on princes st.

Very few electrical/electronics shops left in the city. O'Sullivan's on French's Quay, not sure if there's another.

As someone who lives in the city centre (and doesn't own a car) it pretty much means I'm going to do all my shopping online rather than 'local' - since there isn't any 'local' any more. Though I'm sure online sales were already the reason for many of these stores moving out of town or closing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

He's moved to somewhere off Washington St not finished completely, was talking to him last week.

Apparently Princes Street is one of the most expensive in the city centre in terms of rates, can't see how that's justified by the foot traffic atm though maybe it used to be different?

I'd imagine the enormous 50+ person tour groups that gather by the market gates four or five times a day in the summer before wandering in to take photos, block passageways, not buy anything and try sneak into the staff toilets are a big pain for the traders on prince's street itself as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Grange is probably a push for Cork City, but there's planning in to change the credit union adjoining Ryan's Supervalu into a restaurant.

Probably a take away is it? Highly doubt there would be demand for a restaurant there.

EDIT: I stand corrected.
    (A) At ground floor of existing premises, a change of use from an
    independent Credit Union to a Café with external seating and
    awning, and, (B) At first floor level, a change of use from storage to
    customer toilets and store room related to the proposed café
    operation.
    Ryan's Supervalu
    Grange Road
    Grange
    Douglas West, Co. Cork
    https://www.corkcoco.ie/sites/default/files/2019-05/Received%2010.05.2019.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Hogzy wrote: »
    Probably a take away is it? Highly doubt there would be demand for a restaurant there.

EDIT: I stand corrected.

https://www.corkcoco.ie/sites/default/files/2019-05/Received%2010.05.2019.pdf

Is that credit union still open now? Grange is 100% the city by the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

snotboogie wrote: »

It has relocated inside Super Valu itself.

I wonder how a restaurant will do in that location. There's an Asian street food place next door in the Grange pub but I never hear anyone talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

snotboogie wrote: »

Not until after the local elections, thats when the city council boundary is extended. SO for the time being the planning applications are still done through the Co. Council. The fact that the Planning application for the change of use is under the Co. Council website pretty much backs this up too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/A-new-Penneys-a-cinema-and-hotel-but-residents-fear-traffic-chaos-in-Wilton-2b064297-d05f-4a10-b58c-c14cdf5a7104-ds

The traffic is already mental there , unless they can upgrade the road how are they allowed get planning for this when what infrastructure will be put in place?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

fin12 wrote: »
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/A-new-Penneys-a-cinema-and-hotel-but-residents-fear-traffic-chaos-in-Wilton-2b064297-d05f-4a10-b58c-c14cdf5a7104-ds

The traffic is already mental there , unless they can upgrade the road how are they allowed get planning for this when what infrastructure will be put in place?
    Long term it'll be beside a Luas stop and along a core bus corridor

Short term .. bike lanes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Planning granted to redevelop Wilton SC. 3 story’s with cinema and food court when completed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

It has relocated inside Super Valu itself.

I wonder how a restaurant will do in that location. There's an Asian street food place next door in the Grange pub but I never hear anyone talking about it.

I'd wonder the same. I've gotten delivery from that Asian place a couple of times though and it's been very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭rob316

fin12 wrote: »

The magical wilton corridor, council are putting CPO's on homeowners gardens along wilton road. One person is going to lose 7m off their front garden!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

rain on wrote: »
    I'd wonder the same. I've gotten delivery from that Asian place a couple of times though and it's been very good!

I must check it out. It never even enters my head when thinking about getting food out. I always just associate that location with either Super Valu or the Grange. When I think about food the village is where I'll always think of to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Only noticed this recently but my favourite Motor Factors place, Dicksons on Anglesea St is closed. Not sure when it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

rob316 wrote: »
    One person is going to lose 7m off their front garden!
    Wow. That must put the new road/lane right on their doorstep. Didn't know they were going to lose that much, though it was ~2m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

The magical wilton corridor, council are putting CPO's on homeowners gardens along wilton road. One person is going to lose 7m off their front garden!
    Wow. That must put the new road/lane right on their doorstep. Didn't know they were going to lose that much, though it was ~2m.

Same here, unless they're using 7 feet (2.1m) to make it sound more dramatic.

The Wilton road is relatively straight. I don't even see why they would want to take 7 meters.

Using the measuring tool on google maps, most of the gardens (parking lots) average at 12m from the road, on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The Wilton road is relatively straight. I don't even see why they would want to take 7 meters.

Using the measuring tool on google maps, most of the gardens (parking lots) average at 12m from the road, on either side.

The road will have 2 car lanes, 2 bus/Luas lanes, 2 cycle lanes and 2 2 metre wide footpaths so will need to be substantially wider than the current set up of 2 driving lanes, a bus lane and narrow footpaths. Details here: Wilton Road designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,180 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Cork (Dorothy Perkins/Evans) to close in the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Cork (Dorothy Perkins/Evans) to close in the city!

Along with 22 other stores as part of an insolvency restructuring by Arcadia Group

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-48367379?__twitter_impression=true

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Indeed. Along most of that road you could fit the road itself inside some of those gardens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/bs01tc/topshop_stores_in_ireland_earmarked_for_closure/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app
    Topshop would be a big loss to Opera Lane and i would say it does well there. Could be a perfect location for a Zara though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/bs01tc/topshop_stores_in_ireland_earmarked_for_closure/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app
    Topshop would be a big loss to Opera Lane and i would say it does well there. Could be a perfect location for a Zara though!

The RTE article linked in that Reddit post does not say Topshop Cork will close. On the Dorothy Perkins / Evans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Zara wanted the Victoria Hotel across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,180 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You'd be amazed at how little some of these high street shops make when everything is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Considering rents, staff and insurance, it's a wonder some do. Major mark up needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

I love that Dorothy Perkins/Evans building, if we had better and more open minded planning laws you could do something special with it, along with 90% of the buildings on Patrick's street.

Anyone know what's going on with the old Dunnes on the North Main Street?
    I noticed today that something is going on in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I know a manager in top shop she said it's people returning stuff bought online all day long. The stores sell very little

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I know a manager in top shop she said it's people returning stuff bought online all day long. The stores sell very little

So much for the convenience of buying online.. And if the store closes because no one is buying there and they have no physical store to do size swaps / exchanges, it becomes even less convenient.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

who_me wrote: »
    So much for the convenience of buying online.. And if the store closes because no one is buying there and they have no physical store to do size swaps / exchanges, it becomes even less convenient.

Shopping online for clothes is idiotic and ill advised. What if the item(s) doesn’t fit or look like the advertised product?

At least in a bricks and mortar shop you can go in, try things on, look and check them up close before you buy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Shopping online for clothes is idiotic and ill advised.
    It's called a sizing chart, and works very well. I've saved a huge amount of money by buying clothes online, and only once have I needed to return something. I'll still buy in a bricks and motor shops, but avoiding shopping online entirely is idiotic.

Advertisement