Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Ho lee fuk:

He's moving like a prime Nadal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Pighead wrote: »
    says Novak 'has a
    sick obsession with wanting to be liked

Hahaha, never a truer word spoken!!! What a man!

It's a pity he has such little interest and such a temper on court (another disqualification today :D ) or he could singlehandedly skyrocket tennis's profile again

Once more he'll be the most talked about player at a tournament despite not coming close to winning. Sport needs villains imo, not all PR robots

About Novak "The celebration just kills me. Honestly, that’s what I’m doing next time: if I play him and I beat him, I’m doing his celebration, in front of him. That will be hilarious, right.”

Haha, and I bet he will do it too! Will be brilliant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

jr86 wrote: »
    About Novak "The celebration just kills me. Honestly, that’s what I’m doing next time: if I play him and I beat him, I’m doing his celebration, in front of him. That will be hilarious, right.”

Haha, and I bet he will do it too! Will be brilliant!!!

Let's see him play him and beat him first, he has a 2-0 record against him but played when he was in a slump in 2017.

Krygios is such a waste of talent.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

With a win today Kiki Bertens will rise to #2 in the world, that's been some ascent! If she does the Madrid-Rome double then she should be the hot favourite for RG (Which would probably mean she'd lose in the second round).

I'm happy with the way Osaka's been playing on the clay, got to the QF's of both Madrid and Rome before pulling out of both. I don't believe her withdrawal reasons, I think she simply wanted to retain the #1 ranking heading into RG and get a few matches on the surface in the process. I'm sure there are better clay courters than her on the tour right now but I honestly wouldn't rule out her winning a third slam on the trot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Cracker of a match between Djokovic and schwartzmann in Rome atm. And some atmosphere as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Konta turning into a serious clay player was not expected whatsoever.:eek:

Still probably goes out in the first week of the french though.:pac:

Novak v Diego was quality aye,looking forward to both finals tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Great final here between Nadal and Novak. Nadal steamrolled through the first set before being edged out of a tight second. Novak as usual having awful trouble with the overhead smash. Has dumped three of them into the net already when in prime position. Nadal the superior player here but Novak doing well to hang in. Final set should be a cracker. Nadal to edge it.

In fairness Djokovic's scheduling has been very tough, so he was always going to be really up against it today after three late night finishes. I'm very surprised he took a set

I'm not sure who I'd fancy for the French really. Both have been way off their best this clay season

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

In fairness Djokovic's scheduling has been very tough, so he was always going to be really up against it today after three late night finishes. I'm very surprised he took a set

I'm not sure who I'd fancy for the French really. Both have been way off their best this clay season

Nadal 100% French open is won.
    The other players should withdraw, obviously something is going on, he just beat the #1 player in the world (who just won 3 slams in a row) 6-0 4-6 6-1.
    It's not a level playing field.

All the top players should not bother with the french, let Rafa win the next 5/6 in a row cos no one else is gonna come close to him.

Also this will let lower ranked players qualify, they'll get some prize money and ranking points - everyone is a winner.

Tennis truly has a massive issue with the next gen, they just can't even threaten these almost 40 year olds.

Can see Nadal winning the French Open when he's in his late 40s.
    Probably will end up with 25 slams, possibly 30.

• Advertisement

Nadal 100% French open is won.
    The other players should withdraw, obviously something is going on, he just beat the #1 player in the world (who just won 3 slams in a row) 6-0 4-6 6-1.
    It's not a level playing field.

All the top players should not bother with the french, let Rafa win the next 5/6 in a row cos no one else is gonna come close to him.

Also this will let lower ranked players qualify, they'll get some prize money and ranking points - everyone is a winner.

Tennis truly has a massive issue with the next gen, they just can't even threaten these almost 40 year olds.

Can see Nadal winning the French Open when he's in his late 40s.
    Probably will end up with 25 slams, possibly 30.
    Somebody's been at the sherry!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Pighead wrote: »
    Somebody's been at the sherry!

No, I'm quite serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

It is Nadal in the French. Not at his best was 3 semi finals and a masters?

I would not exactly say the rest should just give up but he has to be a massive favourite.

No, I'm quite serious.
    I'm guessing you haven't been following Nadal too closely this season then? He is currently experiencing his worst clay season since he was a teenager! He came into Rome having not even made the final of Monte Carlo, Barcelona or Madrid. And the guy is in his in his early 30's not almost 40 as you put it!

He's obviously favourite going to France but nowhere near as nailed on as previous years. Novak, Thiem and even Tsitsipas (who beat Rafa in Madrid last week) are all in the mix. He may have won relatively easy in Rome but as has been mentioned Novak had two really tough night matches prior to the final and still managed to give Rafa a decent match. Your rant may have been relevant a couple of years ago but it doesn't really apply in 2019.

Still not convinced that anyone can take him in best of 5 on clay

• Registered Users Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭josip

I haven't watched anything since Australia.

Has Nadal brought his new going for winners approach to the clay circuit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

glasso wrote: »
    Still not convinced that anyone can take him in best of 5 on clay

I think that'll be what saves him here, he's definitely vulnerable over 3 sets. I think he'll win it but I've a feeling this will be his last.

Christy42 wrote: »
    He gives out about Djokovic pulling out of the Australian and then proceeds to have a temper tantrum against Ruud.

For all that he disparages the sport and claim not to care he sure does seem to get emotional on the court.

some speculating that they are related - that the podcast guy just caught him on a chatty day where he was even more off guard and he may have realised what he had done after and led to the blow up.

interesting that Krygios just says that he doesn't have it in him to win a GS - that he's just not consistent enough (and/or not willing to focus on tennis and that he spends more time playing basketball than tennis outside matches) and that he's ok with that. all the press is about how he's a wasted talent but he just goes his own way.

he still makes a pretty good living.

the bit in the podcast about him winning the ATP 500 in Mexico and being on the lash every night through it is pretty amazing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

I'm hoping to see Felix get a decent run in Lyon leading into RG. Believe he could upset a few.

glasso wrote: »
    some speculating that they are related - that the podcast guy just caught him on a chatty day where he was even more off guard and he may have realised what he had done after and led to the blow up.

interesting that Krygios just says that he doesn't have it in him to win a GS - that he's just not consistent enough (and/or not willing to focus on tennis and that he spends more time playing basketball than tennis outside matches) and that he's ok with that. all the press is about how he's a wasted talent but he just goes his own way.

he still makes a pretty good living.

the bit in the podcast about him winning the ATP 500 in Mexico and being on the lash every night through it is pretty amazing!

I listened back to the full podcast.

While the quotes about the big 3 were what made the headlines, it was a mere fraction of the whole piece, which I have to say I found fascinating in the extreme.

When have we ever seen a tennis pro being that candid in recent history?

I couldn't help laughing at him recounting his week at Acapulco. Out every night and getting hammered and then beating the likes of Nadal who has probably never been drunk in his life :pac:

Described his trainer as more of a "consultant" - who's main contribution in Rome was to wake him up in time for a match :D. Said there's very little all round camaraderie in the locker rooms. Guys like Verdasco don't speak to anyone, for example. Has gotten over his beef with wawrinka. Still has never lost his roots and longs to spend all his time back home in Canberra

Confirmed my thinking that Murray is an extremely popular player amongst his fellow pros. He made a valid point about the Murray-Djokovic head to head. I reckon that's one regret AM will have from his career - a lot of the one-sidedness of that rivalry is sheerly down to the difference in mental strength between the two. Ability wise NK actually rates Murray higher although he clearly dislikes ND on a personal level

Anyhow, I admire NK's honesty. if I could earn sh1t-tons of money and not have to train for it, I'd be crawling out of bed myself in the afternoon :pac:

• Advertisement

I think that'll be what saves him here, he's definitely vulnerable over 3 sets. I think he'll win it but I've a feeling this will be his last.

Barring injury, and with some likely scheduling tweaks, I think rafa will probably be able to remain a contender at the French for another 4/5 years yet imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Agree with jr86, it was a brillant podcast, and I woud urge everyone to give it a listen - just to get an idea of the psyche of Kyrgios! I dislike Ben Rothenberg, but he did a good job with the podcast, although you couldn't get a more entertaining guest than Kyrgios to be fair.

I dislike Ben Rothenberg, but he did a good job with the podcast, although you couldn't get a more entertaining guest than Kyrgiosto be fair.

Yeah exactly this, BR came across well in fairness

I listened back to the full podcast.

While the quotes about the big 3 were what made the headlines, it was a mere fraction of the whole piece, which I have to say I found fascinating in the extreme.

When have we ever seen a tennis pro being that candid in recent history?

I couldn't help laughing at him recounting his week at Acapulco. Out every night and getting hammered and then beating the likes of Nadal who has probably never been drunk in his life :pac:

Described his trainer as more of a "consultant" - who's main contribution in Rome was to wake him up in time for a match :D. Said there's very little all round camaraderie in the locker rooms. Guys like Verdasco don't speak to anyone, for example. Has gotten over his beef with wawrinka. Still has never lost his roots and longs to spend all his time back home in Canberra

Confirmed my thinking that Murray is an extremely popular player amongst his fellow pros. He made a valid point about the Murray-Djokovic head to head. I reckon that's one regret AM will have from his career - a lot of the one-sidedness of that rivalry is sheerly down to the difference in mental strength between the two. Ability wise NK actually rates Murray higher although he clearly dislikes ND on a personal level

Anyhow, I admire NK's honesty. if I could earn sh1t-tons of money and not have to train for it, I'd be crawling out of bed myself in the afternoon :pac:

I really think NK is bigging up how little he trains. Like the kid who always claims he never studies for exams. Sure he could care little and earn millions but if that was then why blow up vs Ruud? Just take the large cheque and walk away. I don't care about his lack of training but the lack of respect he shows for his opponents in some matches is childish.

I have no doubt that he trains less than other pros but I would certainly take anything he says with a pinch of salt.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I really think NK is bigging up how little he trains. Like the kid who always claims he never studies for exams. Sure he could care little and earn millions but if that was then why blow up vs Ruud? Just take the large cheque and walk away. I don't care about his lack of training but the lack of respect he shows for his opponents in some matches is childish.

I have no doubt that he trains less than other pros but I would certainly take anything he says with a pinch of salt.

I'd doubt he is really. I'm pretty sure he has mentioned that he trains for a bit most days, and I'd well believe that. Even hitting for an hour would be enough to keep the eye in.

Looking at him out on court he looks like a guy who has never spent a day in the gym or done a day's physical training, and his injury record is poor for someone with his athletic build

You'd be very surprised at what adrenaline can do. Some of the most indifferent people off the pitch are known to become complete competitive animals on it. I wouldn't describe NK as overly competitive, but with testosterone flowing through the body it can bring out emotional reactions

I despised absolutely everything about the gym when I was playing GAA and used to skip many sessions but when I went I would absolutely put in 110%. Its strange what being in the zone can do for anyone

I'd doubt he is really. I'm pretty sure he has mentioned that he trains for a bit most days, and I'd well believe that. Even hitting for an hour would be enough to keep the eye in.

Looking at him out on court he looks like a guy who has never spent a day in the gym or done a day's physical training, and his injury record is poor for someone with his athletic build

You'd be very surprised at what adrenaline can do. Some of the most indifferent people off the pitch are known to become complete competitive animals on it. I wouldn't describe NK as overly competitive, but with testosterone flowing through the body it can bring out emotional reactions

I despised absolutely everything about the gym when I was playing GAA and used to skip many sessions but when I went I would absolutely put in 110%. Its strange what being in the zone can do for anyone

Sure but you liked playing the game (I am hoping you didn't try gaa for the money). Kyrgios seems to suggest he is indifferent to the sport itself. He definitely looks after himself (in terms of he is obviously physically fit and not exactly a couch potatoes, he has an injury record as you say) though he could consider a goal in itself as opposed to doing it for tennis. I am sure he doesn't train as much as others but he has a tendency to try and make such a big deal out of his lack of training that I reckon he bigs up his nights out/lack of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Favourable draw for Nadal in Paris. Federer has it tough with a possible quarter final against Tsipitpas and a semi against Nadal.

Djokovic has the tougher draw with a possible quarter final against Zevrev and a semi against Thiem.

Nadal has Nishikori in a possible quarter with either Tsipitpas or Federer in the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Tough draw for Naomi Osaka on the womens side. Winner of Ostapenko v Azarenka awaiting in R2. RG never the happiest of hunting grounds for Aza but she's been showing a few resurgent signs of late, can see her beating Ostapenka and giving Osaka some grief after.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Favourable draw for Nadal in Paris. Federer has it tough with a possible quarter final against Tsipitpas and a semi against Nadal.

Djokovic has the tougher draw with a possible quarter final against Zevrev and a semi against Thiem.

Nadal has Nishikori in a possible quarter with either Tsipitpas or Federer in the semi.

I wonder how many games Nadal will drop until the quarters :pac:

Can see him dishing out bagels left, right and centre early on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

French Open thread here.

Advertisement