Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cillian Murphy's looking rough

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Phased reducing down of any welfare until either they get a job, or the welfare goes to zero.

really!:rolleyes:
    The Running Man.

only if arnies in it

But the majority of us are not. And the amount of time is irrelevant, it could be 15 minutes or 15 seconds. Society expects everyone to contribute, those who don’t want to, should not expect the rest of us to foot their bill.
    Just be practical, that isn't going to happen. There isn't a country in the world where everyone contributes, that's human nature. There's no need to get upset about this unless it's out of all proportion to what one might expect, or is causing a significant burden on the individual taxpayer.

Some people will always cheat on their taxes, and there will always be some people who cheat the conditions on welfare provision. If anything, it is tax avoidance which is a far bigger problem, but again, inevitable.

By all means, let's have policies to counteract these problems.

But are they going to be 100% effective each time, will we ever have a society where nobody cheats? Of course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Yr probably right in that we won't ever have everyone working. But attitudes have to change, we can't just keep handing stuff out to those who don't want to work. There has to come a time where we say enough is enough, we're not paying you to live like this. It may take time, but time is one thing there is plenty of.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Sounds like the sort of lady you'd invite round to the bridge club.

Ans fúćķ her off it. Although then you'd be prosecuted for polluting the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think that lady is a lost cause. It's really not her we should be concerned about but those coming up behind her who will end up the very same. Taking her as an example we, as a society, actually did her no favour by not being way firmer on what is acceptable from her earlier on. She suffers for it as I would say her life is the pits. Of more relevance to the general population is the fact that we also suffer for it paying endless money to support her and her crimes on ourselves and our property and of course that poor girl she attacked suffered directly and in a most horrible way. For their own sakes and ours there must be a better way to stop this cycle years earlier. You get one chance but after that, forced residential therapy or something. It'd be way cheaper and more productive in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

and he looked so smokin in Peaky Blinders

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I think that lady is a lost cause. It's really not her we should be concerned about but those coming up behind her who will end up the very same. Taking her as an example we, as a society, actually did her no favour by not being way firmer on what is acceptable from her earlier on. She suffers for it as I would say her life is the pits. Of more relevance to the general population is the fact that we also suffer for it paying endless money to support her and her crimes on ourselves and our property and of course that poor girl she attacked suffered directly and in a most horrible way. For their own sakes and ours there must be a better way to stop this cycle years earlier. You get one chance but after that, forced residential therapy or something. It'd be way cheaper and more productive in the long run.

but then the legal profession wont get all the repeat business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

This suspended sentence BS needs to be audited and overhauled.

Neighbour of mine assaulted 3 people in 1 day, 2 were elderly and one a bus driver. Got ten months for the first one, 5 months each for the other 2 with one suspended and the other to run currently. So 3 for 1 deal. But at the time he already had 6 (!) suspended sentences from previous charges. Judge said it was up to some other bloke to decide to apply them or not.

Then he stabbed someone. Got 4 years. Last 18 months suspended. He's back here now and already harassing people on the street. He's got at least 3 years of suspended sentences that should have been applied as he reoffended after getting them, but naw, just leave him to repeat the behaviour and hurt more people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I honestly think the day will come when someone will take a case against a judge or the state because someone belonging to them was hurt or murdered by a person who was let off previously time and time again. Often a doctor who has no intention to hurt is sued over decisions they made under enormous pressure. Why do judges not have to answer at all for their decisions.There is all sorts of gun laws etc for the safety of the general public but a person like that woman and her fellow-kind who are so clearly out of control and who ignores all rules of society is just as dangerous as any gun. Leaving her out free to carry on is, imo, the same as leaving a loaded gun lying around which is totally irresponsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I honestly think the day will come when someone will take a case against a judge or the state because someone belonging to them was hurt or murdered by a person who was let off previously time and time again. Often a doctor who has no intention to hurt is sued over decisions they made under enormous pressure. Why do judges not have to answer at all for their decisions.There is all sorts of gun laws etc for the safety of the general public but a person like that woman and her fellow-kind who are so clearly out of control and who ignores all rules of society is just as dangerous as any gun. Leaving her out free to carry on is, imo, the same as leaving a loaded gun lying around which is totally irresponsible.

Wish it would happen but I'm pretty sure you can't sue a judge. Even if technically you could, the court system is so corrupt you would never win going against one of their own. Look at the gardai. Caught out time and time again for all kinds of thuggery and nothing happens.

And of course a big reason they let these people off easy is because they tend to victimize people in their own neighborhood and similar social class. They're not going to be causing trouble in a judges neighborhood when they get let off or let out. To a judge a girl in a shop is the same as a junkie. They could care less what happens to either of them, or any person who is poorer than they are. If the girl attacked was the daughter of a politician or solicitor the woman would be in jail for longer I guarantee that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Prisons are full simple that's why the sentence's are so lenient. 158 offences etc. The sentences in this country are a joke but it is what it is. Unless we build more prison's it will continue. Alot of thefts don't even go to court as shops could not be arsed going to court as they will just get no sentence. Irish justice doesn't exist due to lack of reality to put people in prison and most people not caring about the lenght of sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

I think the problem is they view the social contract as already broken. I know for me if I acted out of order and got arrested it would be a big deal, I have a lot to lose job social standing friends and family. It'd hurt a lot. But for others it wouldn't the fear the loss isn't there.
    The social contract is pre broken they have little to lose. Not sure how to fix that really.

Wish it would happen but I'm pretty sure you can't sue a judge. Even if technically you could, the court system is so corrupt you would never win going against one of their own.
    Actions against judges happen every day of the week. They're called appeals, and judicial reviews. They are often successful.

There is a good argument for actions in professional negligence against judges, though. This is technically possible, but doesn't happen. Does anyone really believe that so many doctors and other professions can be negligent, but almost zero judges and barristers? Nope.

Judges hand down sentences that are par for the course. There is no room in prisons. Thats why they cant put people in them. Junkies with 50 plus convictions dont care as they know another theft will see another let off etc. Its a bollix system. Unless we build more prisons and give proper sentences it will continue.

Shops mostly won't even bother taking things to court as they know it'll get suspended. Fukking joke of a legal system. There is no deterent.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

Law abiding tax payers struggle to do the normal things she has got everything free and then some more the pain and suffering she has dished out time after time her freedom in sociability must be challenged I am in favour of laws to allow the state be sued where repeat and bailed multiple offenders offend.
    A separate SW inc disability invalid pension as many are on now for people who break the law with financial sanctions imposed especially when they go inside not sure if this is the case.
    Victims need more from society
    https://extra.ie/2018/12/01/news/irish-news/prisoners-claiming-social-welfare-pensions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It's a joke isn't it?
    Like how could any judge keep a straight face while saying as long as you keep the peace with a record as long as hers.

The solicitor is another prick. "My client is disgusted by her behaviour and asks one day for forgiveness". Well mate no scumbag junkie is gonna phrase things like that. So that's pulled out of your ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

just the 158 previous convictions then

fr mcverry not available for comment no
    Always the same, state releases these mentally ill people, yet seem to get away scot free from willfully neglecting their role in keeping citizens safe.
    This shopkeeper needs to sue the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

seasidedub wrote: »
    Always nice to see a photo of one of the recipients of our tax euros.

Yes - it doesn't say she's a welfare queen, but what are the chances she's not????

Christ, I haul my bum out of bed at 5.45am every weekday, drive an hour each way and pay nearly half of what I earn for this sh%$e...

Is there any political party who has the balls to grasp the welfare nettle??
    And keep in mind 159 convictions, with court time, jail time, garda time, solicitor time, drug rehab time, Tusla time etc etc.
    Any change out of 30,000 per conviction?
    Comes out at 4.8 Million ish

• Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The fella she was shagging must be as rough as herself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement