Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Missing Icelandic man

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

agsdi wrote: »
    He already reported it to Clontarf but they didn't get back to him.
    I doubt if they’d get back to him, assuming of course that he gave all the information he had to Clontarf. If so they’d have no reason to get back to him. It’s not as if they’d be updating him on their investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

agsdi wrote: »
    A mate told me that he saw a man that he thought was identical to Jon on the seafront at Clontarf a few days after he went missing. Him and some people he was with walked past him and when they saw his picture later they went and reported it to Clontarf station. They haven't got back to him. Does that mean he was mistaken or what?
    I don't know if they do get back to people who report such leads. Especially when it's a high profile missing person case - apparently police always receive masses of tips on such an occasion. No doubt it's being considered - he likely wasn't the only one who reported that sighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

I don't know if they do get back to people who report such leads. Especially when it's a high profile missing person case - apparently police always receive masses of tips on such an occasion. No doubt it's being considered - he likely wasn't the only one who reported that sighting.

Yes, reported a sighting of a missing girl a few years ago, no one got back in touch with me for any more details. Thankfully it was a good outcome in that situation. Hopefully the same can be said of this case but looking most unlikely as each day passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

Calltocall wrote:
    Interesting, wasn’t aware he was familiar with Ireland

Virgin Media just had a piece on their News at 5.30 bulletin and said it was his first time in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

nc6000 wrote: »
    Virgin Media just had a piece on their News at 5.30 bulletin and said it was his first time in Ireland.

Saw that report, his mother Hanna was interviewed and is lost for words at how he vanished in such a busy part of the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Yes, Blaithnaid Timothy. She was never found but was pronounced dead by the coroner a few years later, as there was ‘sufficient evidence’ that she had drowned. She had been researching suicide on her laptop. Poor girl.

Hoping for a better outcome for this chap.

It is a tragic situation re the Icelandic man. It is quite regular now for people to go missing, some unfortunately take their own life but you would be surprised at the number who go to England etc and just cut all links with families.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,787 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There were some more photos on virgin tv news and interview with his mum.

He looks very different in the cctv and colour photos to the black and white picture that is lampposted... I would not recognise him from the black and white v cctv.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

No more news on this?

Nothing, it’s gone cold, so bizarre, there were a few reports on this thread of possibly the man being spotted out by clontarf, I don’t know if that was definite but nothing since then, It doesn’t look good, almost two months missing, bizarre to vanish from such a busy area

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Reminds me of the Trevor Deely case, so bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,787 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

*bump*
    Another appeal just aired on Virgin Media news today. They said it was Jonsson's first visit to Ireland & that DNA samples have been taken from family members - I presume in order to identify any bodies discovered say washed up on beach.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Olibh

May 2019 Update

Icelandic man Jon Jonsson is still missing since leaving the Bonnington Hotel, Dublin Ireland at 11.05a.m on Saturday Feb 9th 2019.

His family have a Facebook page:
    Jon Jonsson missing in Dublin.

The family have also set up a website. See Facebook page for address.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Just looked it up, this is the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/jonjonssonmissing/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

This story struck me as really strange, that area in general is quite safe how did he just go missing :confused::confused:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/fresh-appeal-issued-for-icelandic-man-missing-in-dublin-1.3803655

Yeah ..i had played a tournament of poker in the same hotel just a few months prior.

Apparently he had lost of money just before he went missing.

I don't know about safe, there was a shooting there in that same hotel not too long ago. But it was called The Regency back then and they changed the name but its the same hotel.

Its a LOVELY hotel by the way.

There are no tournaments held in Ireland that have a 5k buy not for years and even when they were they were rare

Also the indo havent a fecking clue how much money he may have lost the night before the only person who would know is him, absolute piece of trash click bait

You are correct not since the EPT stopped making regular stops here.

HOWEVER..

There are cash games tho :rolleyes: and there are usually cash games at every tournament they are often the main attraction.

I hope he is ok.

I doubt its to do with poker and more the state of his own mental health.

Gone over 3 months now.

I fear his poor family will never get an answer. I would say it is almost certain that he took his own life. No sightings, nothing in 3 months. If he was still alive and out and about then someone would have spotted him. If he does not have close friends here who he is able to live a reclusive life with then he is dead - that would be a completely bizarre and unlikely thing to do as well.

Most likely he is gone in to the sea. :(

Suicide just seems so prevalent nowadays especially in men. I know some many who are gone.

I don't know if it was always this way or we just are more open about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Olibh

Yes, it is very tragic that so many are gone through suicide and mostly men as you said.

It is still baffling that Jon Jonsson wasn't seen leaving the area after leaving the Bonnington Hotel.

An Irishman who went missing in Malaysia quite recently turned up after 2 months.

I know of someone who went missing from Dublin many years ago. He was found by his brother, wandering on a street in London. He had had a temporary break down.

The family of Jon Jonsson are still searching for Jon. I can understand that completely. Someone must know something. My heart goes out to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It's nearly 5 months now, and no update.
    His family are in Crime call tonight to make a fresh appeal.

Bizarre nothing new has come to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Appeal for information on crimecall with CCTV.

Very strange case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Dead in the sea most likely. Probably went off at a spot with no camera. You would be surprised about how little people give a fcuk about what is going on around them. People don't give a fcuk sadly.

I think that’s a bit unfair to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I'd say due to the fact he lost money at the poker tournament he either commited suicide or owed money to the wrong people

• Advertisement

Andrew00 wrote: »
    I'd say due to the fact he lost money at the poker tournament he either commited suicide or owed money to the wrong people

4 grand he lost the previous night not a huge sum. I suppose he may of owed money out alright. People saying he headed for the sea, surely he was on CCTV somewhere else on the way. Maybe the Gardai werent on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Dead in the sea most likely. Probably went off at a spot with no camera. You would be surprised about how little people give a fcuk about what is going on around them. People don't give a fcuk sadly.

Bit much

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Very mysterious case.

His wife and The family are devastated.

Hopefully some more information comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    4 grand he lost the previous night not a huge sum. I suppose he may of owed money out alright. People saying he headed for the sea, surely he was on CCTV somewhere else on the way. Maybe the Gardai werent on the ball.

We don't know exactly how much he lost though for certain. How do we know that the 4k wasnt his last bit of money and he couldn't cope with the gambling anymore.

Its crazy that in such a built up area with houses and businesses everywhere that there isn't more CCTV. It's 2019 ffs

Andrew00 wrote: »
    We don't know exactly how much he lost though for certain. How do we know that the 4k wasnt his last bit of money and he couldn't cope with the gambling anymore.

Its crazy that in such a built up area with houses and businesses everywhere that there isn't more CCTV. It's 2019 ffs

There are loads of CCTV cameras at the junction where Whitehall church is he was heading up that way past the hospital. The only turn offs before that junction are into housing estates. So safe to say he made it that far at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    He flies to Ireland for a poker tournament, brings several thousand euro with him, and then vanishes.

Was the poker tournament that he went to a big event?

the_syco wrote: »
    He flies to Ireland for a poker tournament, brings several thousand euro with him, and then vanishes.

Was the poker tournament that he went to a big event?

Not really it was an amateur event taking place over the course of a few days. The big one was on the Saturday with a 50k prize for the winner. He probably lost a good few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Brought no phone
    left his passport behind
    His bank cards haven't been used.

Yep. I hate to say it but I think our friend Jonny Johnson took the plunge

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Gardai said losing four grand in a night was not particularly unusual for a regular poker like Jon and they reckon he still had several more grand on him. But they don't think anything sinister happened to him either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Does anyone know what happened in the last hand(s) he played? Whoever took his money, whether by skill or some sick beat, must be going through hell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement