Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Western Society has got Decadent

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Brexit certainly is.

I think you'd be surprised when it comes to Trump.

A lot of secret Trump supporters lurking around. Keeping schtum for fear of being ridiculed.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

We've made a virtue out of niceness and progress. We could be lead over the cliff of a volcano and nobody would act up for fear of being impolite.

It's nothing new, keep people in a state where they can be made do anything. We police eachother in this, and anyone that recognises the folly of our ways is, at best, ridiculed.

Our predictability leads us into the most bizarre situations. We have stone faced news reports about spider-goats. We should be deeply concerned about such news but the reports are couched in such humdrum prose so as to neuter and make placid any deep inquiry into such developments while accepting the new reality.

We are sleepwalking. Decadence in my view is utter delusion while the serious developments take place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Years ago I would listen to news, current affairs and political stuff on different platforms. It would drive me crazy because quite frankly I think a large proportion of Western Democracies are run by quite limited individuals who appear to have a pheromone that garners votes but lacks any meaningful substance. Many politicians come across as not particularly intelligent but decent public speakers who know their audience.

I was in Iceland last weekend, was in a volcano, beside amazing land features including the blue Lagoon which was so relaxing and saw the Northern Lights dance across the sky . One of my favourite parts was feeding ducks and Geese at the main Pond in Reykjavik. Also went to the Observatory which had fascinating information about how the land was formed and interesting facts about global warming and how it will affect the glaziers and water level of the world.

The older I get the more I realise that most of the stuff is just noise that I simply do not need to engage. Politics, while important, is mostly a load of sh*t when you factor in how much of the time a politician spends promoting themselves so they keep their job. Celebrity stuff is only important if you allow it to be important in your life.

The funniest thing about our civilisation is the ignorance and lack of self reflection capacity. I mean, arguably, mans humans greatest feat of all time happened so the US could plant a flag on the moon and say "ha, f*ck you Russia" . . This is mankind in a nutshell . . We are capable of so much and yet we manage to corrupt pretty much everything, even ideas like addressing racism/sexism in a positive way . . Isnt every white person automatically racist after what Liam Neeson said ?

giphy5.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

morebabies wrote: »
    I can’t think of a time when there was true diversity of opinion to be honest, but it does seem like we've swung from one extreme to the other. People used to be afraid to speak out against the status quo when the Church / State ruled, now people are afraid to speak out in favour of traditional views.

That's just it. We've moved from groupthink oriented around conservative values to groupthink oriented around so-called progressive values. But the underlying dynamic of conformism is much the same.

When people obtained a standard of living that meant they struggled less or not at all, people used the time and comfort to reflect on how they were different and unique, when you could stop worrying about keeping them alive you could devote yourself enjoying how special your kids were, their thoughts are special, their lives special. Social media has given every one of the special people a kind of reality show of their very own, where they can showcase how very special they and all their thoughts are.

When I was little I genuinely thought the very best thing in the world to be was sensible, it was a word used a lot at home. Make sensible choices, exercise sensible judgement, have sensible friends and generally just be a sensible and dependable person. I was never told I was special, but I was told I was clever/sensible/funny/whatever, whenever I did something clever/sensible/funny/etc. I was praised by my parents, but not for just existing.

Bring back being sensible and raising sensible kids, I say. The world doesn't need special people with special thoughts and insights who raise special children, it needs sensible people more than anything. Not every thought or whim or desire is worth exploring, uttering, protecting or legalizing. Sometimes you're not being alternative or thinking outside the box, you're being daft. You aren't a one of a kind, uniquely complex person who needs to be understood, you just need to grow the F up and be sensible about things. The problem with that is that being sensible sounds a lot more boring than being special or part of whatever social movement is getting the maximum amount of attention at any given moment.

Apply that on a worldwide scale and there's be no problems in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think your referring to Paddy Manning.

ah that lunatic Paddy Manning, literally the only gay man in Ireland who actively campaigned against gay marriage. Without Twitter no-one would ever have heard of him and his rants would be contained to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Western Society is class. You should head into town at the weekend for a few scoops, great craic altogether and you might even get the shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    ah that lunatic Paddy Manning, literally the only gay man in Ireland who actively campaigned against gay marriage. Without Twitter no-one would ever have heard of him and his rants would be contained to the pub.

There was he guy from limerick as well Keith Mills(I think).
    I actually heard a gay guy that I know that he almost regretted voting for gay marriage. Before he used be able to brush on the question about settling down/etc. Now everybody thinks he wants to go off and adopt loads of babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Maybe as a small nation on the edge of europe we can quietly ride out the collapse of western civilisation, then as the one remaining functioning society swoop in and conquer a 1000 year Irish Reich Genghis style. Build a massive show piece capital with the spoils in Navan

Western Society is class. You should head into town at the weekend for a few scoops, great craic altogether and you might even get the shift.

Yep great fun but you have wasted all your resources on frivolities, making you ripe for conquest(no not sexually) by future isis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Giveaway wrote: »
    Yep great fun but you have wasted all your resources on frivolities, making you ripe for conquest(no not sexually) by future isis

Hahaha. Well I tell you what, you keep going to ninja school and you can keep the rest of us protected.

Hahaha. Well I tell you what, you keep going to ninja school and you can keep the rest of us protected.

No ninja school, but when the moment of danger comes i will not be in bed dying of a hangover(but may be running for the hills)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That's just it. We've moved from groupthink oriented around conservative values to groupthink oriented around so-called progressive values. But the underlying dynamic of conformism is much the same.

Spot on.

The mc quaid Catholic Church authoritarianism has been replaced by PC ayotollahs in the media and academia, different faces - same ****

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

conorhal wrote: »
    If any article would inspire me to start digging that fallout shelter it's probably this one....

https://www.thejournal.ie/bezos-tops-forbes-rich-list-again-as-zuckerbergs-wealth-slips-4525145-Mar2019/
    Social media personality and entrepreneur Kylie Jenner has become the world’s youngest self-made billionaire, according to this year’s (Forbes) list......

Sweet sunny Jesus.. Fan's even set up a gofundme to ensure she would secure that title. Humanity can go F itself at this stage.

Fcuking unbelievable how stupid these "fans" are

https://www.businessinsider.com/kylie-jenner-gofundme-fans-crowdfunding-billionaire-2018-7?r=US&IR=T

Definition of decadent. I'm willing to bet many of those "fans" are not far from the poverty line themselves.

But what's important to these dopey sh!ts? - that's right, get a NON 'self made' billionaire past the billion mark who contributes less than the square root of fcuk all to human progress...

Ugh this just enrages me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Muahahaha wrote: »

So because he is gay, he is obliged to subscribe to some sort of gay meme on everything, manning is an interesting person, he identifies as gay but " not lgbt" as that title has political ramifications

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

Could not agree more, I really believe this is the case in Ireland.
    Back in the day we had the bishops as moral arbiters of the nation.
    Now we have Fintan O Toole, Colm O Gorman etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I don't buy into these inevitable cycles of history. Yes, you can learn from the past and identify patterns but you have to ignore quite a lot of change to fit everything neatly into a model that can't be tested in any useful way.
    If people are obsessing over trivialities it's just a sign that life is better, not some omen that everything has to go to **** so we can remember what's important.
    Decadence is a shifting standard, we like to bitch about how the previous generation is soft and has it too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

kowloon wrote: »
    Decadence is a shifting standard, we like to bitch about how the previous generation is soft and has it too easy.

Carol singing, which now must be close to the epitome of clean living, was once very much frowned on as the height of decadence!

I like to envisage in another generation or two, little old god fearing ladies will be meeting up in hotel rooms, to do lines of coke off a lady boys cock and have a good old moan about how the youngsters of the day are decedent as fúck and society is going to hell in a handcart! :D

Advertisement