Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Joys of Fasting

Options
  • 06-03-2019 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I had the OW-01 burbling on the drive this morning, warming up, me in full armour skipping around. Woman comes down, "What are you doing? It's Wednesday!" "It's a Day of Fast!" says I. "Not that kind of fast, you fuckin' ape. Now put that thing away and go to work!" :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Totally misread that thread tittle...

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Not really but I will eat fish for dinner this evening. Don't eat enough fish because it's fecking expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

No I don't fast.
    I like to cook and eat.

To me, fasting is a form of self-flagellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You'd know by me that I've never fasted a day in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I fast all the time, but only between meals. And snacks.

Never really fasted in a planned way but on occasion due to a random coming together of events I might miss Dinner and breakfast and hence go nearly 24 hours without eating.

Can not say I noticed too many negative or positives from this - with the exception that when I go for my morning 10k having not eaten - somewhere around 6-10k I get into this weird kind of Euphoria state that actually feels really good. Any everything I do in the hour after that seems hyper real - be it a shower or eating breakfast or having sex or whatever - the experience just seems so much more than it usually does.

Have meant to read up on this. I know a podcaster I background listen to mentioned exactly the same thing recently. Just can not remember which podcast it was. I have a sneaky feeling it was that Blindboy one. But it was nice to hear it randomly from someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I used to do a week of intermittent fasting about once a yr.

Day on, day off.

It's a nice feeling alright, you get a buzz going. The problem is breaking it on the 'eat day'. It's tempting to keep the fast going longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Not really but I will eat fish for dinner this evening. Don't eat enough fish because it's fecking expensive.

Plenty types are reasonably priced...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I do the 16/8 fasting and it's great. Feel better, more energy, healthy weight. Can't recommend it enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Sure, I follow a 18/6 fasting cycle most days when I'm working, I spend a lot of time in hotels so with free buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as access to food in the business lounge combined with tonnes of available food in my work location, I need to have some food regiment or I shall be the size of a bus.

So lunch is 12 noon, snack on some cheese/nuts or similar before 6pm and that's it. I can't really say that I see too many benefits from it apart from my non-ballooning weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭all the bais

Would do the 16/8, 6 days per week. Find it quite easy and feel I enjoy my meals more.
    Dropped over 3 stone in a year. Would recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I had a chicken sandwich there at 11. It was the first thing I'd eaten since I had a Bakewell tart and tea at 10 in Costa.

I ate it fairly quickly, but fast, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I fast 3 times a day.

Between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner and again between dinner and supper.

And I snack during those fasting windows.

Its great

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

The main reason the 16/8 or 5/2 fasts give any result are because you generally end up eating less and are therefore in a calorie deficit. Same results can be achieved by tracking calorie intake, doesn't really matter what time of day you have them. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

I intermittent fast everyday and feel great on a university/work/gym routine

Sh1t works

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

scdublin wrote: »
    The main reason the 16/8 or 5/2 fasts give any result are because you generally end up eating less and are therefore in a calorie deficit. Same results can be achieved by tracking calorie intake, doesn't really matter what time of day you have them. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

It's not just about your calorie intake going by modern studies.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fasting-benefits#section9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I'd wholeheartedly recommend experimenting with a practice known as mindful eating. It's about taking the time to fully experience the act of eating, and can have a radical impact on eating habits, and renew our sense of pleasure, appreciation, and satisfaction with food. It doesn't mean fasting, but it does mean reappraising your overall relationship with food.

Now it's not about taking 5 minutes to eat a raisin, but it is about slowing down and becoming aware of the taste, texture, and sensation of eating. It's about listening to your body and stopping when you are becoming full, considering the provenance of where your food came from, eating food that is wholesome and nutritionally healthy. It's a very simple and emotionally rewarding way to incorporate mindfulness into your day.

Now I've no doubt many people will ignore what I say. There's a culture in Ireland of equating value with quantities of food - there's a reason for all those all-you-eat buffets and carveries serving up vile slop which is laced with salt, fat, and sugar - usually frequented by red-faced buffoon before they go and spend multiples on lager and wine of what they spent on the food. Then complaining they feel fat, bloated, and depressed. Or getting one of those disgusting chicken fillet rolls, and eating it at their desk as they check Instagram on their phone for the 76th time that day.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend experimenting with a practice known as mindful eating. It's about taking the time to fully experience the act of eating, and can have a radical impact on eating habits, and renew our sense of pleasure, appreciation, and satisfaction with food. It doesn't mean fasting, but it does mean reappraising your overall relationship with food.

While appreciating the artistry of Phil Collins.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Now it's not about taking 5 minutes to eat a raisin, but it is about slowing down and becoming aware of the taste, texture, and sensation of eating. It's about listening to your body and stopping when you are becoming full, considering the provenance of where your food came from, eating food that is wholesome and nutritionally healthy. It's a very simple and emotionally rewarding way to incorporate mindfulness into your day.

Now I've no doubt many people will ignore what I say. There's a culture in Ireland of equating value with quantities of food - there's a reason for all those all-you-eat buffets and carveries serving up vile slop which is laced with salt, fat, and sugar - usually frequented by red-faced buffoon before they go and spend multiples on lager and wine of what they spent on the food. Then complaining they feel fat, bloated, and depressed. Or getting one of those disgusting chicken fillet rolls, and eating it at their desk as they check Instagram on their phone for the 76th time that day.

I live in the American Gardens building on West 81st street. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack, I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water activated gel cleanser. Then a honey almond body scrub. And on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub. Then apply an herb mint facial mask, which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion. There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me. Only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our life styles are probably comparable, I simply am not there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Closing this for the moment. due to the opening post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement