Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Undateables...

Options
13»

Comments

This post has been deleted.

The comedian who labelled it the "would you shag a crip" show has cerebral palsy and is unable to speak...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Ridley_(comedian)

The doctor who raised the motion expressing concerns is the mother of a teenager with autism...

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-06-24/doctors-accuse-the-undateables-of-exploiting-people-with-disabilities/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The comedian who labelled it the "would you shag a crip" show has cerebral palsy and is unable to speak...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Ridley_(comedian)

The doctor who raised the motion expressing concerns is the mother of a teenager with autism...

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-06-24/doctors-accuse-the-undateables-of-exploiting-people-with-disabilities/

Dr Rachael Pickering said The Undateables had left her "disturbed at being part of a society that might seek to view disabled people as a source of comedy".

I think people sympathise with their trials and tribulations, rather than laugh at them.

Admittedly as I said earlier I found a couple of Tourettes outbursts quite funny, but that's because of the unexpectedness of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Dr Rachael Pickering said The Undateables had left her "disturbed at being part of a society that might seek to view disabled people as a source of comedy".

Well Dr. Rachael needs to reality check if she's actually ''disturbed'' by the programme. It's not played for laughs whatsoever and the featured people are not a source of comedy at all. If you get a kick out of seeing someone struggle with a learning difficulty or physical disablilty then I'd suggest it's you with the problem, and that's an attitude problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Omackeral wrote: »
    Well Dr. Rachael needs to reality check if she's actually ''disturbed'' by the programme. It's not played for laughs whatsoever and the featured people are not a source of comedy at all. If you get a kick out of seeing someone struggle with a learning difficulty or physical disablilty then I'd suggest it's you with the problem, and that's an attitude problem.

My thoughts exactly. I assume when you say ''If you get a kick out of...'', you are referring to anybody, and not specifically me?

I don't get a kick out of anything of the sort. I once laughed when my friend unexpectedly swung her fist at me over my kitchen table and shouted ''ARSE'' (I wasn't expecting her to do an impression) , and when the man in Grayson's clip, having proposed to his girlfriend, then said ''bitch!''. She started giggling, herself. I doubt I'd find it funny if I was in the presence of a person with Tourette's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I've watched it a couple of times.

There really is no reason apart from exploitation for not editing the awkward silences.

Like 99% of modern day reality television, it's just a diluted version of the Victorian freak show.

Some of those awkward silences are part of their 'condition' to them its not normal at all its the way it is. We might find it awkward because it isn't what we perceive to be the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

tatumkelly wrote: »
    I watched an episode the other day that started with 'Mary has a long term illness and would like to find love'....

I have a long term illness, am I "undateable"? No... I'm not!

The phrasing cut me a little :(

Obviously not, cos it shows that people with long term illnesses ARE dateable. The name of the programme has been explained many times in the thread. It was never said that Mary was undateable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

My thoughts exactly. I assume when you say ''If you get a kick out of...'', you are referring to anybody, and not specifically me?

Absolutely not you Widdershins. Just people in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I enjoy the way they are open to finding love and don't let their disability get in the way. Their attitude would put some people to shame, including me as they just get out there and do it, instead of finding excuses (ahem)

That programme always puts me in good humour as it shows and the power of positive attitude.

They have the same problems as anyone else, awkward first dates with awkward silences, someone telling you I love you too soon and all other situations that everyone else encounters in the World of Dating!

I've followed a couple of their stories and the characters have a lot of depth about them.

id rather watch the Undateables with bags of personality and can do attitude than an episode of Celebrity Big Brother with a load of fake, false tanned wannabees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

My favourite was the really pretty lady with alopecia who met the ex footballer and they had a snog on the park bench. She was really astute and pointed out how he kept chewing the gum when he got nervous, cue him chewing even more. The whole thing was class viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

It's probably my favourite show in years and i don't watch alot of t.v anymore.i especially hate reality t.v.i do not see it as exploitation in the slightest.at least not anymore than any other folk appearing on t.v.i genuinely didn't know about what the wide spectrums of autism or what aspergers entailed until i watched the show.it humanises people instead of labeling them.
    The people on the show don't feel sorry for themselves and show optimism in the face of adversity.there are some truely fantastic characters on it who are whitty and hilarious,my favourite being Richard and Alex.i actually find alot of the people on the show more relatable that those on that other dating show first dates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

They seem to focus on people with autism, learning difficulties, tourettes etc.

The real 'undateables' are introverted and average to ugly looking blokes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

I find the show saddening tbh.

It's lovely that people with such disabilities can find love and it's very heartwarming.

At the same time, I have a family member with down syndrome and they won't ever have the opportunity to fall in love or go on a date and it crushes my soul a small bit seeing the people with down syndrome on it.

I think the show is great but just pulls at my heart strings too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I find the show saddening tbh.

It's lovely that people with such disabilities can find love and it's very heartwarming.

At the same time, I have a family member with down syndrome and they won't ever have the opportunity to fall in love or go on a date and it crushes my soul a small bit seeing the people with down syndrome on it.

I think the show is great but just pulls at my heart strings too much.

How do you know that? Obviously having down syndrome is a big obstacle lets not try to deny that but I wouldnt have thought it impossible for somebody with it to find love/or date people?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

wakka12 wrote:
    How do you know that? Obviously having down syndrome is a big obstacle lets not try to deny that but I wouldnt have thought it impossible for somebody with it to find love/or date people?

To be fair, 'downs syndrome' covers over 80 types of the disability. There are high functioning people with DS who have jobs and independence and there are people with DS who are completely dependent on others for basic needs.

The guy with DS in the undatables is a fairly high functioning guy. He's an actor I noticed him in The Inbetweeners episode where they go to Thorpe Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I don't want to use the word offensive, because we'll have that whole "what offends you is your business" argument.

How about words like "the most mawkish and exploitative television ever seen"? The worst point and stare programme I can remember, masquerading as faux concern for its victims subjects. Anyone associated with the production of this should be shown the door and told to go drool over photos of road traffic accidents.
    I've watched about 2 half shows. With my mouth open at the idea that this passed a slew of checks, the person who thought of it, the director, the producers, the tv company etc. etc. And no one shouted "stop, it's just wrong". It's the extreme form of that Jerry Springer and Jeremy Kyle form of exploitation.

Well you should have closed your mouth and paid more attention to what the programme is about.

Family members of the people featured are asked to get in touch with the producers if they want to be on the show, it's not like C4 scour the country seeking out people so they can make fun of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

People can deny it all they want but the people who view the show believe they are better or more "normal" than the people on it, even on a sub conscious level.
    I can imagine woman sitting with a glass of wine giggling with their husbands watching it living a so called normal life getting enjoyment looking at awkward people on the television, I personally hope their husbands are having an affair on them.

I would say most of the people on this site met their partners when they were drunk in a nightclub, I wonder how they would have acted going to a restaurant or somewhere stone cold sober with a television camera pointed at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

People can deny it all they want but the people who view the show believe they are better or more "normal" than the people on it, even on a sub conscious level.
    I can imagine woman sitting with a glass of wine giggling with their husbands watching it living a so called normal life getting enjoyment looking at awkward people on the television, I personally hope their husbands are having an affair on them.

Talk about projecting some really bizarre bitterness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well that is the whole premise of the show, these people suffer from undesirable traits that we agree make dating hard and we appreciate this. We think we are 'better' as in yes we don't want to have the illness/disease that they have

Advertisement