Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elephant & Castle chicken wings? Read first post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Has anyone tried the TGI Fridays Jack Daniel's ones Bootiful

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I havent tried those wings (though by all accounts they sound awesome!)...

Just wanted to say that I think this is the single longest thread I've seen on Boards that has stayed on topic the longest hahahha!!!

They must be some pretty astounding wings!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

they certainly are. :D

you can get them quite a few places now that the 'secret sauce' isn't so much of a secret any more, they have them in TGF Friday's and the schoolhouse next to the Canal in the city centre and I even had them in a restaurant in Cork called Soho, and i'm pretty sure they are a lot of places in between. :)

its actually kind of evolved past E&C now that a lot of people are making their own. you CAN just throw them in the fryer and then toss them in melted butter and franks sauce, but there's so much more you can do to improve it beyond what you'd get in any restaurant.

the short answer is "yeah, they're the mutts nuts!" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Anyone ever try doing these bad boys on a BBQ?

Same rules apply i guess---?

Cooked some deboned chicken thighs on the bbq over the weekend and then drowned them in franks+butter but this time I put in a tablespoon of philadelphia cheese as recommended on another thread. They were amazing. Couldnt really taste the cheese but it added a lovely creamy texture to the sauce and thickened it up nicely too. Another franks success :D

I'm addicted to the wings/thighs/oysters in franks and my parents love it too but my sister finds them too spicy and sometimes too vinegary though I think boiling the sauce before adding the butter can remove some of the vinegar but personally I like a little of that tangy vinegar taste :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

This is a great thread and I'm going to have a proper read through it later on!

In the meantime, has anyone tried the wings at The Counter in Dundrum?

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5932

Unfortunately they are in the background of this photo, but you'll get the idea. The burgers, potato/sweet potato fries and onion strings are really good too.

Not having been to E&C yet - because any time I've gone there there was a wait of 45 minutes - TriBeCa in Ranelagh has the best wings I've had so far (apart from homemade ones :D).

• Advertisement

I bet your a Big Alex if you ate all that yourself :eek:
    This is a great thread and I'm going to have a proper read through it later on!

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5932

Unfortunately they are in the background of this photo, but you'll get the idea. The burgers, potato/sweet potato fries and onion strings are really good too.

Not having been to E&C yet - because any time I've gone there there was a wait of 45 minutes - TriBeCa in Ranelagh has the best wings I've had so far (apart from homemade ones :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

They are an imitation of the E&C wings. Good, but not as great as the originals.

Pot wrote:
    I bet your a Big Alex if you ate all that yourself :eek:

:D Ah, that lot was between two of us!
    olaola wrote: »
    They are an imitation of the E&C wings. Good, but not as great as the originals.

Yeah, I thought they were good, but not gorgeous. Have you tried the ones in TriBeCa though? I haven't been to E&C (yet), but I would be astonished if they were not every bit as good as theirs.

BTW I'll be making your recipe this week, tomorrow probably! :)

:D Ah, that lot was between two of us!

Yeah, I thought they were good, but not gorgeous. Have you tried the ones in TriBeCa though? I haven't been to E&C (yet), but I would be astonished if they were not every bit as good as theirs.

BTW I'll be making your recipe this week, tomorrow probably! :)

Dont forget the Philadelphia cheese:cool:

Pot wrote:
    Dont forget the Philadelphia cheese:cool:
    it's actually a great base for any kind of a creamy sauce instead of using cream.

there's one they do in lidl (or possibly aldi) in a green tub that has some herbs in it which is spot on and much cheaper than real phili. i think it's german made from the label, but i forget the name of it at the moment.

it works as anything from a base for a steak sauce to a creamy base for pasta to something to mix into the eggs for scramble or an omelette to give it a creamier flavour.

to celebrate getting a nice new cast iron griddle pan, I made a gorgeous sauce to go on a griddled striploin steak last night and all that was in it was the cream cheese with herbs, finely diced chorizo, a splash of milk to thin it out and some grated parmesan. will probably put mushrooms in it next time too. :)

the only thing to be wary of is to take the pan off the heat a minute before you add the cream cheese so it doesn't split, but apart from that it couldn't be easier. :)

• Advertisement

I was in town today and made it my business to finally try E&C's wings:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6164

I found the wings a bit overdone and they seem to have skimped on the sauce. While they were not bad, they're not as good as the ones in TriBeCa.

I was in town today and made it my business to finally try E&C's wings:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=6164

I found the wings a bit overdone and they seem to have skimped on the sauce. While they were not bad, they're not as good as the ones in TriBeCa.

Looks like there is NO sauce on them at all!! :eek:
    I think they forgot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bog basher

Elephant and castle and Tribecca chicken wings are good but if you want to taste great chicken wings take a holiday in Canada. Canadians are the world experts when it comes to chicken wings. Chicken wings and canoes are what they do best!

BTW - Can anyone tell me how to start a new thread? There is meant to be a a 'Post new thread' button in the top left hand corner of the screen apparently, underneath the 'User CP' heading? Not for me though for some reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

That's funny, I was in there yesterday too and found them really dry and there was feck all sauce on them too. I had to ask for some extra sauce and it came out in a wee ramekin thing, in a cold gelatinous lump :(

bog basher wrote: »

BTW - Can anyone tell me how to start a new thread? There is meant to be a a 'Post new thread' button in the top left hand corner of the screen apparently, underneath the 'User CP' heading? Not for me though for some reason?
    newthread.gif

The icon is a little further down the page in the food forum, under the sub-forum list.

WindSock wrote: »
    That's funny, I was in there yesterday too and found them really dry and there was feck all sauce on them too. I had to ask for some extra sauce and it came out in a wee ramekin thing, in a cold gelatinous lump :(
    for some reason E&C don't seem to realise that their secret isn't secret any more and seem to have totally stopped making any effort to do good wings and are just running on their reputation. shame really, considering they started it all (in dublin anyway).

even TGIF are doing a better job of them than they are and have even started doing 'boneless' wings using the mini-fillets and usually lash a heap of sauce on them too. just a shame i always find myself with a hangover after eating there, even if i don't drink. must be something in the food. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Dee101

Haven't read through the last 25 pages of the thread but...I made chicken wings with the Frank's Buffalo Wings last week and I have to say I didn't like them at all. Just got a really sharp overpowering vinegar taste coupled with a severe burning sensation and I could taste little else!!. Horrible!frown.gif
    I normally like spicy food but these were just inedible...

I mixed it with melted butter and poured over the cooked wings. Did I do something wrong here? Is the original Frank's sauce any better??

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RaoulDukeHST

Dee101 wrote: »
    Haven't read through the last 25 pages of the thread but...I made chicken wings with the Frank's Buffalo Wings last week and I have to say I didn't like them at all. Just got a really sharp overpowering vinegar taste coupled with a severe burning sensation and I could taste little else!!. Horrible!frown.gif

I mixed it with melted butter and poured over the cooked wings. Did I do something wrong here? Is the original Frank's sauce any better??

Hi Dee. Franks 'Buffalo Wings' already have artificial butter flavour in them. Best to try the original "Hot Sauce" and add the real butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭david_1888

Where on the Southside of Dublin, can you get Franks hot sauce, ive tried Tesco Merion, Tesco Baggot St, Sandymount and Dunnes in Rathmines but to no avail, craving some of the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

david_1888 wrote: »
    Where on the Southside of Dublin, can you get Franks hot sauce, ive tried Tesco Merion, Tesco Baggot St, Sandymount and Dunnes in Rathmines but to no avail, craving some of the stuff

I've got it in Donnybrook Fair and the Spar in Ranelagh recently...

Where can I buy a blue cheese dip/dressing??? Can't find it anywhere, and I tried making my own, but it worked out horribly...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Dee101

Hi Dee. Franks 'Buffalo Wings' already have artificial butter flavour in them. Best to try the original "Hot Sauce" and add the real butter.

Cool thanks, but does the original have that really strong vinegary taste like the buffalo one?.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It's vinegary, but not too much so. I generally add extra vinegar to it actually.

olaola wrote: »
    Looks like there is NO sauce on them at all!! :eek:
    I think they forgot!

I know! :confused:

That's the delight of Buffalo wings! :D

BTW page 25? It's only page 8 for me. If you go into your user settings you can change the amount of posts displayed per page... less page turning! :)
    Sinfonia wrote: »
    I've got it in Donnybrook Fair and the Spar in Ranelagh recently...

Where can I buy a blue cheese dip/dressing??? Can't find it anywhere, and I tried making my own, but it worked out horribly...

Have a read through this thread. There are some very good recipes for blue cheese dip in here. They're way better than anything you'll get in the shops! What did you put into yours that made it turn out so bad?

Cool thanks, but does the original have that really strong vinegary taste like the buffalo one?.
    i quite like the vinegary flavour, but the missus likes it less so, so i generally cook out the franks for 5 minutes whilst the butter is melting which gets rid of a lot of the vinegar and also helps to coagulate the franks and butter so it sticks to the wings more easily.

and always go for the franks original if you can get it, the buffalo one is a poor substitute. just remember the original has a tad more punch to it, so have extra butter on hand to dilute it if you overdo the franks and remember it's all about personal taste so keep at it till you find a ratio that suits. :)

Ok went to The Counter last night. Had the wings. They were 'ok' … my observations were:
    - They didn’t boil the sauce up to make it a lumpy, which I think adds a certin je ne sais quoi.
    - The dips on the side were gak - tasted like cheap watered down salad dressing.
    - The exterior of the wings wasn't as cripsy as E&C, so the sauce didn't hold onto it as well.
    - And while the wings were quite big, the larger ones were very tough.

Burgers were pretty crap & overpriced. Fries were good though. But that's another thread :)

yeah, you really do need to boil up the sauce with the butter at least a little or it doesn't taste right at all imho.

Ok, I have spent some time going through part of this thread quoting what I think are good recipe posts. Sorry if I have left out a few, I just want to bring them up closer for future reference :)
    foodaholic wrote: »
    you can get Franks hot sauce (make sure its the buffalo one) in Tescos of all places. Heres the recipe for the blue cheese sauce

Half a cup of sour cream
    Three quarters of a cup of mayonnaise
    Half a cup of blue cheese crumbled
    1 clove of Garlic, crushed
    1 teaspoon of lemon juice
    1 tablespoon of cider vinegar ( or white wine vinegar)
    2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley

just mix it all together
    georgeous wrote: »
    Is it sad that I've registered just to talk about wings? Thought not.

I've spent the last 2 nights making wings using Ballymans recipe and deep frying, and tonight I tried steaming and then baking... and oh sweet jaysus, I don't think I've ever felt so happy in my life.

The better method? In my opinion, the steaming and baking tasted a lot better and crispier - I steamed the wings for about 12 minutes, then put them on a baking tray to let them cool for about 15 minutes, and allow excess grease etc to drip off - then covered them in kitchen foil and put them in the fridge for an hour - I then took the foil off and returned to fridge (uncovered... what food poisioning?) for another 20-30 minutes to let them dry out and help the crisping - then into an oven preheated to 230ish degrees for 30-40 minutes, turning once - while they're in the oven I sorted out the sauce. After the wings were finished baking I let them cool for a few minutes, then threw them into a largish bowl, poured the sauce over them, put a plate on top of the bowl to cover and gave it a little shaky-poo. Oh... my... dog. I am actually thinking of going back to the supermarket and getting some more wings right now.

When I deep fried they weren't great, but that might be because I did it in a pot with brand new oil and so the starch content of the oil wasn't high meaning they didn't get very crispy, and also I don't think I put enough butter in the sauce.

Ballyman, you are a legned. You're on my christmas card list.
    Jamfan wrote: »
    Gonna ressurect this one...

Right, my reipe is a little bit different, and I know that wingosseurs will not be pleased...

I use a mix of half wings and half drumsticks. Most people agree that the drumsticks are way better than the wings: so much more meat.

OK, aside from using drumsticks I also BOIL them first. Yes, I boil them instead of deep frying (I hate deep fat fryers - remember them from the 80s as being disgusting and having to be cleaned with caustic soda) or grilling them. I boil the wings for about ten to fifteen minutes and the drumsticks for maybe five minutes longer.

I then also remove the skins, which by that time are hanging off. This leaves a lean, low-fat wing or drumstick that is tender, moist and succulent. After boiling I pre-heat the grill to 250 degrees Celsius and blast the wings/sticks on each side until nicely coloured.

For the dressing I use two thirds Franks Hot Sauce and one third melted butter. For my blue cheese dip I use Danish Blue (Rosenborg), which I think is the best blue cheese.

I don't bother with celery sticks because I hate celery even more than scummy Tefal fryers. hehe

Really, believe me, this produces awesome results. The wings are moist and juicy, and not tough and chewy like they often are when deep fried.

By the way, the Franks label says the recipe calls for clarified butter, and not Stork or what have you.

Enjoy!
    eightyfish wrote: »
    I just thought I'd add my method - after a few tries, this recipe makes wings as close as I've tasted to E&C's. Adapted from recipe in post #7. They're really good.

Chicken Wings, 800g pack
    Butter/Connacht Gold, 3-4 tablespoons
    Frank's Red Hot Wings Sauce (Superquinn), 3-4 tablespoons
    White Wine Vinegar, 1 tablespoon

Use a 15ml tablespoon measure, if using an actual spoon be generous as most aren't 15ml.

Deep fry the wings (skins on) for 10-12 minutes, depending on size, at 180C in clean oil. In a frying pan, melt the butter completely on a low temp, add the white wine vinegar. This will curdle the butter - it will clump together. This gives the coating a batter-like look and texture. Add the sauce, stir to evenly distribute the butter for a few minutes. Add the wings, and turn each one to coat all sides. Shake the pan gently to coat evenly. Leave them in the pan for a few minutes to the sauce coating dries out a little.

Serve with Crème Fraiche as a cooling dip. Yum.
    vibe666 wrote: »
    i find melting the butter with the franks (original, not the wing sauce, its manky by comparison) on a high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, has the same effect of clumping it together a tiny bit to help it stick to the wings.

for anyone afraid (or unwilling) to fry their wings, there's a very interesting article on the various methods of baking wings to get the optimal results HERE.

oddly enough, resting in the fridge overnight coating in baking powder appears to do the job as far as crispiness and browning are concerned, so if you're the sort who likes to bake rather than fry, it might be worth giving it a go. :)
    mine have evolved way past just wings now, i've been editing it and adding to my method since day one and I'm not at a stage where I'm just buying a whole chicken and chopping it up into managable pieces, marinating it for 48 hours in buttermilk (24 hours won't do the job, needs the full 48 hours, but seriously, any chicken you can do this with will blow you away, it's the only way to go) coating in 3/4 plain flour & 1/4 cornflour mix with a teaspoon of smoked paprika and pepper, then deep fried and tossed in franks original cooked out with a knob of butter. I don't see me ever just cooking wings ever again.

i used to love E&C wings and 4 years ago i would have given them 10/10 every time, but since i started experimenting with my own franks sauce, they've slipped way down and i'd be pushed to give them a 5/10 now in comparison to the above. not (just) blowing my own trumpet, the missus would murder ye for it too. :D
    Pot wrote:
    Elephant & Castle Buffalo sauce

3rd cup of franks

4 knobs of butter

and 2 knobs of Light Philadelphia cheese

splash of white vinegar

heat up bring to boil and then 15 mins under grill

Super i tell thee Super
    you can make your own blue cheese (or any other dip) very easily by adding a little water to some mayo. i know it sounds too simple to be true, but 've tried dozens (literally) of ways of making a dip to go with it and never got it quite right until someone told me to just use a bit of water in some mayo to thin it down and then add whatever else you want to it, be it crumbled blue cheese, roasted carlic or whatever else takes your fancy.

i takes 2 minutes to do and comes out perfect every time because if you use too much water, you just have to put a bit more mayo in to thicken it up again. :)

when we do it we either roast off some garlic cloves in the oven and squeeze them into it, or just use blue cheese and a little pepper.

incidentally, philadelphia is a great base for just about any type of creamy sauce and goesgreat with steak. we've used it as a base for our wing dip several times before and it's pretty good, but the mayo thing just works too well to not do it that way.

WindSock wrote: »
    Ok, I have spent some time going through part of this thread quoting what I think are good recipe posts. Sorry if I have left out a few, I just want to bring them up closer for future reference :)

At last recognition :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Well. I have mastered the Buffalo wings (to my own preference) but I have to say i love the idea of adding the cream cheese to 'cream' up the sauce.

Also - what are the reasons for boiling the Franks/butter? Does it get rid of some of the sharpness? I normally don't do it - just heat it up.

• Advertisement

Its just better that way

Advertisement