Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When was your first concert?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What?! really? that's incredible
    They had recently released their album State of Euphoria which because of the funkiness of it was negatively received by many.
    Some knobs felt the need to gob on the bad to express their disliking of it.

However, it's actually a great album that still sounds good today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

They had recently released their album State of Euphoria which because of the funkiness of it was negatively received by many.
    Some knobs felt the need to gob on the bad to express their disliking of it.

However, it's actually a great album that still sounds good today!

Yeah figured it would be to do with SOE alright, still though, pretty hard up and Among the Living, a masterpiece, only came out about 18 months before.

No wonder they walked, I'd have been pissed if I was at that gig and had it ruined...

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

It was actually a good gig!

Yeah, I have to agree although it's not cool to admit it. It was a great gig, last one of the tour if I remember correctly. I got free tickets so went along for the laugh with fairly low expectations.

Yeah, I have to agree although it's not cool to admit it. It was a great gig, last one of the tour if I remember correctly. I got free tickets so went along for the laugh with fairly low expectations.

How You Remind Me electric and acoustic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

don mclean siamsa cois laoi 1984. brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Sirsok wrote: »
    Metallica RDS 04, all my mates were going but my dad wouldnt let me go with them so i had to go with him, he didnt want to go see slipknot so misses then but hey i was 14 my dad bought me a ticket ill forwver be gratefull.

Stuff like that stixks with you forever, im glad i went with my dad that day as olposed to my mates

my mate has the exact same story. Are you Dave?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

Boyzone in Bundoran. My babysitter took me, I think I was around 8 years old. Have no memories of the band but only the merchandise stand. Getting a glowband was priority over the music in those days 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

The Undertones in 1980 in the Savoy Limerick, followed shortly after by Thin Lizzy in Dromkeen

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

First live band I saw was The Waterboys in The Majestic Ballroom in Mallow on the Fishermans Blues tour,great gig. A few years after to my next gig Iron Maiden in The Point 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

D.R.I McGonagles 19th April 1990. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭griffin100

RosieJoe wrote: »
    That was my first gig, and they walked off after 20 minutes because people were spitting on them :mad:

I was at that gig and remember Scott Ian getting serious pissed if. It seemed to be a thing for some people. At Iron Maiden in The Point in 1990 the same thing happened. It was raining spit from the crowd onto the stage. Bruce stopped the gig and said if one more gob landed on the band they’d walk off. It stopped after that.

My first gig was Xentrix and Sabbat in McGonagles in 1989.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

griffin100 wrote: »
    I was at that gig and remember Scott Ian getting serious pissed if. It seemed to be a thing for some people. At Iron Maiden in The Point in 1990 the same thing happened. It was raining spit from the crowd onto the stage. Bruce stopped the gig and said if one more gob landed on the band they’d walk off. It stopped after that.

My first gig was Xentrix and Sabbat in McGonagles in 1989.

The support band were gobbed on all during their set I remember so that's probably why carried on during Anthrax's set.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Queen at the RDS Simmonscourt in Nov '79, awesome light show. Great memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

rushfan wrote: »
    Queen at the RDS Simmonscourt in Nov '79, awesome light show. Great memories.

Man, I'm so jealous! They were electric on the Live Killers tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 viewer

Mamas Boys Fairways Dundalk - '87 I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

The Undertones played some strange venues in 70s/80s, I remember reading that they played at a GAA hall in Ardboe which is a townland in Tyrone, another strange one I recently read was Metallica playing in Antrim town in 1988, they must have played there because it is the nearest town to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Came across this earlier, Classic Dublin Gigs page https://www.facebook.com/272423591202/posts/10157226900251203/

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Either Cranberries or U2, mind blurry..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭thebourke

bon jovi dublin rds 1988 supported by lita ford!great show..went to see them recently in the rds!guy has some energy..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭thebourke

the_syco wrote: »
    Type O Negative in the SFX. I'm guessing 98/99/00.

it was june 1996 ..i was at the gig..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Iced earth, warbringer and elm street in the button factory in 2014, Feel like I’m probably one of the youngins here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭thesultan

Oasis Cork 96.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Status Quo - Cork City Hall 1984 - End of the road tour.
    Went with my older brother and 2 of his friends. They had the first Van Halen album on in the car which blew me away but was nothing compared to Quo later
    Was deaf in school the next day.

As an aside, was reading the program after and there was a quote from Tommy Cooper in it. He died live on TV the same night.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

The first and only "concert" I've ever been to was The Corrs, back in '95 I think it was.

• Sunstroke 94 for me though that was more a festival ? Next gig I was at was Stone Temple Pilots in the SFX a few months later which was to be the scene of many a good night for years to come. I have a feeling I saw them at their best that night was only 14 though, never liked anything else they did outside of core and purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Sunstroke 94 for me though that was more a festival ? Next gig I was at was Stone Temple Pilots in the SFX a few months later which was to be the scene of many a good night for years to come. I have a feeling I saw them at their best that night was only 14 though, never liked anything else they did outside of core and purple.

Great gig. Sunstroke I mean

• Great gig. Sunstroke I mean

Ah what a time to be young Mickey. My little fun house playing as we got there, terrorvision later, then Ice Cube with his "party over here, **** you over there". My ears still hurt from Helmet who were the loudest that day and the bass from Wilma's Rainbow still stuck in my head now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Metallica '92 at the point depot, some experience for a first proper gig.

Sunstroke 94 for me though that was more a festival ? Next gig I was at was Stone Temple Pilots in the SFX a few months later which was to be the scene of many a good night for years to come. I have a feeling I saw them at their best that night was only 14 though, never liked anything else they did outside of core and purple.

To say I'm jealous here would be a understatement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

AC/DC, Olympic Ballroom, August 1979

Advertisement