Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N56 - Dungloe to Glenties

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

After I complained, the completed Cloghbolie-Boyoughter scheme is now shown correctly on Gmaps. The aerial imagery is old though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

spacetweek wrote: »
    After I complained, the completed Cloghbolie-Boyoughter scheme is now shown correctly on Gmaps. The aerial imagery is old though.
    Fair play to you. The difference in alignment on the aerial vs map is now stark, serious work done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Has the Gweebarra bends section been updated on the map? No sat imagery so can't really tell. The road looks fairly straight so I assume it has been updated but the old road isn't shown, have they closed off the old bends?

Drove this road for the first time since the upgrade yesterday, really good job done taking out all the bends and merging seamlessly with the bridge. Lots of big cuts through solid granite hillsides as well

And to answer my own question, yes, the old bends have been closed off. A bit of a shame as it was an iconic section of road but definitely a big improvement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

And to answer my own question, yes, the old bends have been closed off. A bit of a shame as it was an iconic section of road but definitely a big improvement
    Has the surface been taken up and returned to grass?

• Advertisement

The realignment is essentially a whole new road, the old Gweebarra Bends section hugs the coastline while the new road cuts straight through the side of the valley.

As far as I could tell, the old road is still mostly there but as a mix of local access and as part of the cycleway, there's no continuous road that you can drive along anymore.

As I said it's a shame in a way, similar to the corkscrew in Doochary that disappeared around 15 years ago, terrible stretches of road but they'll live long in memory for their character

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender to be issued for Phase 3, Kilkenny to Letterilly shortly: http://donegalnews.com/2017/09/major-upgrade-n56-completed-18-months/

N56 Kilkenny-Letterilly awarded to Fox Contracting. Starting shortly. 3.6km. €12m. Early 2019 opening

https://www.donegalnow.com/news/pat-cope-welcomed-progress-made-n56-road-projects/196673

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

marno21 wrote:
    N56 Kilkenny-Letterilly awarded to Fox Contracting. Starting shortly. 3.6km. €12m. Early 2019 opening

Hopefully they have a new project manager since they carried out the work at Quinn's Cross Roundabout outside Limerick.
    It was a total disaster of a job from start to finish, there's a thread on it here in the Limerick section. Can't post a link as I'm on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Passed from Dungloe to Glenties last Friday, Fox Contracting have a track machine and container at a freshly made compound along the route.. Also various Pegs can be seen driven in fields approx 50-100 meters in distance... Great to see some progress...

• Advertisement

Drove the N56 earlier and a site compound has been set up and topsoil stripping seems to have started right at the end of the recently opened Gweebarra Bends section

Edit: Posted in the wrong thread originally so didn't realise this was already reported above!

Phase 3 of this, between Kilkenny and Letterilly has been allocated €6m in 2018.

Phase 4 has been extended and will now be a realignment between Letterilly and the R262 junction south of Glenties. Will likely start in late 2019 when the current phase finishes up.

Interesting, does that mean a Glenties bypass?

It'd be great to get the R262 upgraded as well as it's essentially the main national route as is yet it's in a terrible state. Suppose we won't be seeing any major R road upgrades until the national network is up to scratch

Interesting, does that mean a Glenties bypass?

It'd be great to get the R262 upgraded as well as it's essentially the main national route as is yet it's in a terrible state. Suppose we won't be seeing any major R road upgrades until the national network is up to scratch
    Nope, just both N56 approaches to Glenties. I should've made it clear in the original post

R262 will likely be upgraded in the future but that's outside the remit of TII. N56 Inver-Killybegs will probably be on the table after Dungloe-Glenties is done.

Thought that'd be a bit much, hopefully it'll include a redesign of the junction with the main street to give priority to the N56 if nothing else.

The only issue then would be people abandoning their cars in the middle of the main street while they pop into the shops :)

DONEGAL: A stop/go system will be in place for works on the N56 Glenties/Lettermacaward Rd between Letterilly and Kilkenny until approx. May 2019. Reduced speed limits of 50km/h will be in place until Jan 14th 2019.

From aaroadwatch. Works starting in earnest now

https://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/news/293897/work-starts-on-next-stage-of-n56-project.html

Article on Phase 3 just started.

Phase 4 likely to start in 2019, both sides of Glenties as far as the R262 junction. No Glenties bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Where could I find a layout plan of the new route Kilkenny to Leitirilly and any compulsory purchases of land that where needed?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There were significant CPOs. All the docs went missing when the council redesigned their website so some severe archive.org digging is needed

L1011 wrote: »
    There were significant CPOs. All the docs went missing when the council redesigned their website so some severe archive.org digging is needed

Significant in cost or size of the land?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Volume more than cost - land isn't dear there when zoned agricultural and barely usable as that. Local solicitors had billboards promising to get best prices out of the CPO up for months

Out of curiosity how much on average per acre would land bought under CPO cost. How is it valued?

rightyabe wrote: »
    Out of curiosity how much on average per acre would land bought under CPO cost. How is it valued?

If they paid more than a few grand per acre they overpaid.

Struggling to even find a plan of the new route. Surely this info should be easy to find?

Struggling to even find a plan of the new route. Surely this info should be easy to find?

It was until the council butchered their site.

I was through here earlier and works are in full flow north of Glenties, excellent progress being made. Looks like a fairly complex job with very steep and frequently changing terrain, lots of rock breaking and a lot of infill to do. Was driving so couldn't get any pics unfortunately.

Should be a spectacular drive along the Gweebarra when it's finished though, really looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dollylama

Plenty of detailed drawings to be found in the tender documents which are available for public download but I agree with you, downloading a massive dump of tender gibberish just to view a route map is silly

Are they by any chance tossing the old Mass Inn? I see on one drawing what looks like a new junction going through the middle of it!

They CPOed the Maas Inn so I'd assume so.

Tender out for topological survey on the next phase; Letterilly - Kilraine (R262)

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/rwlentrance_s.asp?PID=129745&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1

• Advertisement

And also for site investigation on the last section from Cloghbolie to Dungloe

Perhaps the last 2 parts may be done together, would be wonderful if so

Advertisement