Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boy (8) dies after dog attack

• 23-03-2020 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/boy-8-dies-after-being-attacked-by-dogs-in-dublin-39067536.html

Very little information on what exactly happened. Two Rottweilers apparently. Poor little fella, not much older than my own. RIP.
    An eight year old boy has tragically died after being attacked by two dogs in Dublin.

The child died this morning at Crumlin Children's Hospital.

At around 4pm yesterday, the child was seriously injured following a reported attack by a number of dogs at a house in the Tallaght area.

The child was taken to Tallaght Hospital with serious injuries before being moved to Crumlin yesterday.

The dog warden has been notified and the dogs have been confiscated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Horrible way to go

The parents will never forgive themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Horrible way to go

The parents will never forgive themselves

Who said the parents of the child were to blame in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Zebra3 wrote: »
    And daft comment of the day award goes to...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Awful story the poor child,why do people want to own these dogs it amazes me. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Do we know what breed of dog?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Do we know what breed of dog?

Reported as Rottweilers on RTE news

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

These dogs can be vicious. Tough lesson for the parents.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Awful story the poor child,why do people want to own these dogs it amazes me. RIP

Guard dogs, yard attached to family home/storage business. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The owners know this, that's why they chose that breed.
    They figured owning this breed would make their home more secure from intruders.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Not in direct relation to this tragic incident(which is a bit different, 2 rottweiler guard dogs in a business yard attached to the home), but I don't get why some people want dangerous breeds of dogs. I see these people out all the time with no muzzles on the dog, some let them off the lead, and others who can barely control the dog. Do they think they're hard ********? That it's some sort of status symbol? I think the majority of these people are idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

All dogs are vicious if brought up that way

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

All dogs are vicious if brought up that way

I never hear of children being killed by jack russels or golden retrievers though?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

tuxy wrote: »
    The owners know this, that's why they chose that breed.
    They figured owning this breed would make their home more secure from intruders.

Gotta get a dangerous breed of dog, wait make that two dogs, to keep my family safe....

Wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Cutting the tail off a dog when they are pups for fashion and wonder why they are vicious.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

EriT wrote: »

Shock horror, you used google and managed to find a couple of obscure cases. Would you agree or not that fatal dog attacks happen almost entirely among rottweilers/pit bull terriers etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

sligeach wrote: »
    Not in direct relation to this tragic incident(which is a bit different, 2 rottweiler guard dogs in a business yard attached to the home), but I don't get why some people want dangerous breeds of dogs. I see these people out all the time with no muzzles on the dog, some let them off the lead, and others who can barely control the dog. Do they think they're hard ********? That it's some sort of status symbol? I think the majority of these people are idiots.

Their one isnt vicious and wouldn't bite anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Zebra3 wrote: »

Well, seeing as the parents were (supposed to be) responsible for (a) the child, and (b) the animals ... I can't see how they weren't to blame.

Poor child. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

Shock horror, you used google and managed to find a couple of obscure cases. Would you agree or not that fatal dog attacks happen almost entirely among rottweilers/pit bull terriers etc?

I would have thought that would be Labradors due to their size and how popular they are.

Unfortunately both a Rottweiler and a pit pull terrier are very attractive to the wrong type of person . The kind of people that shouldn't own any type of dog.

Both when brought up corectly can be fantastic family dogs.

I don't own either .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

No such thing as a dangerous breed, we have restricted breeds in Ireland alright.
    Our 10 year old Rottweiler died last year and she was the perfect family pet, not guard dog, family pet. She lived alongside my 7 and 4 year old children, cat and other dog ( a Chihuahua) and never once did she ever give me any reason to question her temperament. We miss her dearly and I will definitely have another one one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I never hear of children being killed by jack russels or golden retrievers though?

Size counts , I've seen plenty cranky jack Russel's , difference between a little dog that'd take a chunk out of your leg , and huge Rottweiler that'd knock you on your back and then take a chunk ..
    A well trained ,well socialized rottweiler can be a great pet ...(still would leave kids unattended with one ),

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Christ that poor child. The pain and horror he went through must have been absolutely shocking. His final moments were just barbaric.

RIP

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭BurnUp78

If a jack Russel bites someone it's not going to make the news. My neighbour has a papillon and she's a little **** that's extremely aggressive but because it's the size of a rat it can't really do any damage and the owner has no desire to discipline/train it.

When a rottweiler is aggressive and attacks a human/other dog its a different story because they are so large and powerful and the only people who should own these dogs should be experienced at handling large breeds and same goes for German shepherds, Akitas, Mastiffs etc and these dogs should never be allowed to be unleashed in parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

There was never a bad dog born, rip to the poor child

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    If a jack Russel bites someone it's not going to make the news. My neighbour has a papillon and she's a little **** that's extremely aggressive but because it's the size of a rat it can't really do any damage and the owner has no desire to discipline/train it.

When a rottweiler is aggressive and attacks a human/other dog its a different story because they are so large and powerful and the only people who should own these dogs should be experienced at handling large breeds and same goes for German shepherds, Akitas, Mastiffs etc and these dogs should never be allowed to be unleashed in parks.

But everyone who owns those breads would consider themselves experienced enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

There was never a bad dog born, rip to the poor cratur

Out of interest, where so you reckon your IQ lies in the grand scheme of things? Top third? Top tenth?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There was never a bad dog born, rip to the poor cratur

A rest in peace to the poor child who died a horrific death would be more appropriate

Ms2011 wrote: »
    No such thing as a dangerous breed, we have restricted breeds in Ireland alright.

Can some breeds have the potential to be more dangerous than others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

I've a rottweiler dog, his there for the look and does a good job. His quiet and friendly but i still wouldn't take the chance of leaving him around children. Rottweilers are a very jealous breed and having two of them isn't a great idea. It's mainly bad owners more so than bad dogs.

Every dog can be vicious. Labradors and terriers can be viscous around stock I and often had issues with them.

Advertisement