Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know what distance are the two tunnels on the route? And what are they going underneath, is there something too expensive to CPO?

Not sure on the distance but one is going under the race course to avoid essentially closing it, and the other is tunnelling under sensitive habitat (limestone pavement, karst scrubland) to get around (under!) environmental legal protection of said habitat.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,183 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Fella on Newstalk Yates show this evening reckons this won't be started until at least 2025. Was he mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

6 wrote: »
    Fella on Newstalk Yates show this evening reckons this won't be started until at least 2025. Was he mistaken?

At the rate this is going, 2025 seems optimistic. Don't forget, the M28 is still going through the planning process with no end in sight nearly 3 years after the plans were submitted to ABP. They'd have to submit for planning in the next few months to get construction started by 2025.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

He’s right

It’s going to take some tome to get through the planning process then there’s a few years of advance works on the way

That section on Newstalk was pants. No fact checking of some misinformation by the Green Party rep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Doubt it, this project is going at a snails pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭xckjoo

marno21 wrote: »
    He’s right

It’s going to take some tome to get through the planning process then there’s a few years of advance works on the way

That section on Newstalk was pants. No fact checking of some misinformation by the Green Party rep.
    What was the misinformation? Just listened there and didn't hear anything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Doubt it, this project is going at a snails pace.

Project is very contentious and being so close to city and the Lough Corrib SAC will always cause major concern and delays.
    Cannot understand why concrete aspects of the GTS re public transport and P&R cannot be implemented in next 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

youngrun wrote: »
    Cannot understand why concrete aspects of the GTS re public transport and P&R cannot be implemented in next 3 years
    How often do you have to be told? We can only have public transport and other improvements after the Ring Road is built!

youngrun wrote: »
    Project is very contentious and being so close to city and the Lough Corrib SAC will always cause major concern and delays.

Well very little has been done in the last 3 years on the GTS; lots could have if there was the will - to be honest the GTS is looking more and more like a bit of an oul smokescreen.

• Advertisement

Well very little has been done in the last 3 years on the GTS; lots could have if there was the will - to be honest the GTS is looking more and more like a bit of an oul smokescreen.
    Just thinking about what has been done (not necessarily in the last 3 years):

1. They put a P&R out at the airport. They never built a bus lane on the Monivea Road (or Parkmore Road) for the buses. So the buses had to queue in the same line as cars. They were then "surprised" when no-one used it.

2. They experimented with two lanes inward and two lanes outward along Lough Atalia and College Road. I was actually in favour of this, thinking that one of them could be bus lane. But they didn't do that. The experiment is finished now, never to be heard of again.

3. They replaced roundabouts with traffic lights, and are due to do another one this year (Menlo/Kirwan). In fairness, the replacement at Terryland was a big improvement, and we won't have the situation of cars being stopped on a roundabout when they're all done. However, they will still be stopped.

4. Christmas P&R at the Racecourse. This takes a lot of cars out of the city and I welcome it. However, this year, they were charging per passenger instead of per car. If it keeps going in that manner, usage will go down.

5. Opening Oranmore train station, and the fantastic free P&R there. Have used it myself several times when going to the city centre and it's a great addition.

6. Bus Lanes on the SQR.

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Assuming a positive planning outcome and assuming government commit the funding, then 2025 would be optimistic. The next government is likely to be more climate conscious so pro car measures particularly ones that are as expensive and extreme in scope as this one are likely to fall out of the budget. Most parties are now promising 10% of transport spend going to cycling.

• cgcsb wrote: »
    Most parties are now promising 10% of transport spend going to cycling.

I'll believe it when I see it

serfboard wrote: »
    Just thinking about what has been done (not necessarily in the last 3 years):

1. They put a P&R out at the airport. They never built a bus lane on the Monivea Road (or Parkmore Road) for the buses. So the buses had to queue in the same line as cars. They were then "surprised" when no-one used it.

2. They experimented with two lanes inward and two lanes outward along Lough Atalia and College Road. I was actually in favour of this, thinking that one of them could be bus lane. But they didn't do that. The experiment is finished now, never to be heard of again.

3. They replaced roundabouts with traffic lights, and are due to do another one this year (Menlo/Kirwan). In fairness, the replacement at Terryland was a big improvement, and we won't have the situation of cars being stopped on a roundabout when they're all done. However, they will still be stopped.

4. Christmas P&R at the Racecourse. This takes a lot of cars out of the city and I welcome it. However, this year, they were charging per passenger instead of per car. If it keeps going in that manner, usage will go down.

5. Opening Oranmore train station, and the fantastic free P&R there. Have used it myself several times when going to the city centre and it's a great addition.

6. Bus Lanes on the SQR.

Anything else?

Alot of old stuff on this list and not part of any specific strategy per se - what of those above done in the last 5 years let alone 3?

what of those above done in the last 5 years let alone 3?
    Well I did say "not necessarily in the last 3 years". As best as I can establish, these projects opened in:

1. Airport P&R - May 2013.

2. Two lanes inward and two lanes outward along Lough Atalia and College Road - May 2015.

3. Replacing roundabouts with traffic lights - various years, but one is due to happen in 2020.

4. Christmas P&R at the Racecourse - started 2005.

5. Oranmore train station - opened July 2013.

6. Bus Lanes on the SQR - opened in 2012.

So,
    A lot of old stuff on this list
    Agreed.
    and not part of any specific strategy per se
    Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

serfboard wrote: »
    They replaced roundabouts with traffic lights, and are due to do another one this year (Menlo/Kirwan). In fairness, the replacement at Terryland was a big improvement, and we won't have the situation of cars being stopped on a roundabout when they're all done. However, they will still be stopped.

Could they grade separate the existing junctions with sections of cut and cover??

It would be a pain in the arse to built but could be better in the long term??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Last Stop wrote: »
    Could they grade separate the existing junctions with sections of cut and cover??

It would be a pain in the arse to built but could be better in the long term??

For an insane amount of money and virtually no (or actually no) benefit. And you're still going to need a new bridge.

L1011 wrote: »
    For an insane amount of money and virtually no (or actually no) benefit. And you're still going to need a new bridge.

Would it be that expensive? Newlands Cross was arguably a far bigger job and was relatively cheap! Realistically, we’re talking about a maximum of 6 junctions.

There would be significant benefits as you’d have free flow through the N6 and on the roads across it.

Yes I accept you’re going to need a new bridge. If you ran a route from the Kirwan roundabout through Menlo Park to the junction of the Thomas Hayes Rd at Dangan, it could work.

There is €600m on the table here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

More land at Newlands to play with and also the mainline was going straight. Mainline is not straight through multiple roundabouts/ex roundabouts in Galway and some of the most problematic are fully built up around

• Advertisement

More land at Newlands to play with and also the mainline was going straight. Mainline is not straight through multiple roundabouts/ex roundabouts in Galway and some of the most problematic are fully built up around

Can’t agree with that. The majority of the junctions were former roundabouts meaning there’s plenty of space around the junction. Plus you have a central median along most of it.

• Last Stop wrote: »
    Can’t agree with that. The majority of the junctions were former roundabouts meaning there’s plenty of space around the junction. Plus you have a central median along most of it.

You should go along to the oral hearings and make that proposal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Today's connacht tribune
    VsQ9kEk.jpg

J4TYdfL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

Not sure how you would do that at the traffic lights at the end of the bridge on the east side of the river.
    I remember when they built the bridge they laid down plastic and rock for months to compress the soil in that area, adding and removing rock where necessary.I think that part of the road effectively "floats" (I don't know the correct technical term) but I believe that the soil conditions in that area would make a cut and cover challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Last Stop wrote: »
    Looking at the drawings there are some very messy junctions.

I wonder was grade separating the existing junctions ever considered?

This coupled with a new road/bridge between the Kirwan roundabout and N59 at Dangan would have freed up a lot of the traffic problems.

I often wonder was this option ever considered, you're talking about grade separating 5 junctions (including Coolagh), it's tight and messy, I know, but there seems to be enough land/space around these junctions, you maybe lose 4 or 5 houses and an industrial unit or 2 (Kirby Eng) near Tuam Road Junction. Then you might lose a 10/12 houses near Menlo Park,(plenty of space to build new ones just nearby) and then continue along the Corrib to link in with existing proposed route heading west to Bearna. It should be possible to widen the entire existing route to add bus lane?
    This option is obviously not going to give you the capacity you might get with an entirely new road but it's surely going to cost a fraction of the price, and the saved money could go towards public transport and cycle routes.

No doubt there are serious issues and concerns that I'm missing here, and apologies if this option has been thrashed to death before. However I suspect it hasn't been seriously considered because planners want the holy grail of a full by-pass.

Does anyone think that the new programme for government might cause the currently planned project to be shelved?

tYhCFSb

It would save a lot less money than you might think, for a lot less benefit and a much longer disruption period.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'd forget about this project for now. It will never get funding even if it gets through planning. Best devote energies on what bus connects measures are going to be put into place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I often wonder was this option ever considered, you're talking about grade separating 5 junctions (including Coolagh), it's tight and messy, I know, but there seems to be enough land/space around these junctions, you maybe lose 4 or 5 houses and an industrial unit or 2 (Kirby Eng) near Tuam Road Junction. Then you might lose a 10/12 houses near Menlo Park,(plenty of space to build new ones just nearby) and then continue along the Corrib to link in with existing proposed route heading west to Bearna. It should be possible to widen the entire existing route to add bus lane?
    This option is obviously not going to give you the capacity you might get with an entirely new road but it's surely going to cost a fraction of the price, and the saved money could go towards public transport and cycle routes.

No doubt there are serious issues and concerns that I'm missing here, and apologies if this option has been thrashed to death before. However I suspect it hasn't been seriously considered because planners want the holy grail of a full by-pass.

Does anyone think that the new programme for government might cause the currently planned project to be shelved?

tYhCFSb

I suggested this many moons ago.

The main problem with the current (non) solution is all the at-grade junctions not solved by roundabouts, and then not solved by taking them out and replacing them with traffic lights.

The main problem is the total lack of any proper public transport. No commuter trains. No buses. No cycle lanes that are safe to use. etc etc etc.

An east west Luas would make a huge difference with a spur out the Tuam Rd to a P&R to soak up all that traffic that clogs up Claregalway.

However, if they build the bypass, that will allow all those cars parked overnight outside one off houses scattered all over Co. Galway to get where they want to go (unless it is city centre). After that does not work, just like the roundabouts did not work, then they can try the public transport solution.

[The roundabouts were built so that all twelve tribes could have a roundabout named after each one, even if that meant a few extra roundabouts had to be built just to get to the round dozen even though they were not required].

[The roundabouts were built so that all twelve tribes could have a roundabout named after each one, even if that meant a few extra roundabouts had to be built just to get to the round dozen even though they were not required].

Eh, as far as I know that was a nuts conspiracy theory from a now-gone poster - not actually the truth!

There were (and are) un-named roundabouts in Galway; they didn't have to go add any.

How, precisely, do you think add a 'not required' roundabout to a dual carriageway? None of the junctions were light controlled at the time.

Really not something to go claiming without evidence considering the only person I ever saw claiming it in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Eh, as far as I know that was a nuts conspiracy theory from a now-gone poster - not actually the truth!

There were (and are) un-named roundabouts in Galway; they didn't have to go add any.

How, precisely, do you think add a 'not required' roundabout to a dual carriageway? None of the junctions were light controlled at the time.

Really not something to go claiming without evidence considering the only person I ever saw claiming it in the past.

Did you every hear of Galway county council and the Muppets in the council chambers. Anything is possible

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement