Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N69 - Listowel Bypass [under construction]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Locals unhappy about damage this scheme could do to the town.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/news/concerns-emerge-on-bypass-35698064.html

There is constant traffic entering the town from the Tralee side due to the lack of an alternative crossing of the River Feale. This isn't even a proper N69 bypass, it simply loops the N69 around to the end of the John B Keane Road, the relief road built on the former trackbed of the North Kerry Railway, and becomes a 50km/h urban road for the length of this relief road. It's not a bypass that completely takes traffic out of the town, I'd label it more a relief road.

To be honest, the locals should be struck down with glee that this scheme is on the table. It's one of two schemes not under construction or in the capital investment plan (along with N5 Ballaghaderreen-Strokestown) that is in the pipeline and close to shovel ready. There's 70 schemes or so that we can't get progressed but this is almost ready to go. They are very lucky they have a scheme at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Couldn't agree more. Listowel is a real pain to get through at the best of times for somewhere so small.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Couldn't agree more. Listowel is a real pain to get through at the best of times for somewhere so small.

All pretty much local traffic though? I know it's an alternative route from Tralee to Limerick but nationally not important.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

road_high wrote: »
    All pretty much local traffic though? I know it's an alternative route from Tralee to Limerick but nationally not important.

N69 is a national road so funded nationally. Design work is being done by Kerry NRDO/Kerry County Council.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Kerry more needs the Adare and Macroom bypasses first, both are outside the county but have the biggest effects. Macroom is especially bad.

• Advertisement

Both the Adare and Macroom bypasses are ahead of the Listowel bypasses in the queue. They are both funded whereas this isn't

I'd argue Killarney need a bypass before Listowel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

marno21 wrote: »
    Both the Adare and Macroom bypasses are ahead of the Listowel bypasses in the queue. They are both funded whereas this isn't

I'd argue Killarney need a bypass before Listowel.

I'd agree especially to divert traffic from the Molls Gap to Cork and Tralee roads. I think there was a masterplan to build an entire new road from Farranfore to out near Lissivigeen somewhere.

Doltanian wrote: »
    I'd agree especially to divert traffic from the Molls Gap to Cork and Tralee roads. I think there was a masterplan to build an entire new road from Farranfore to out near Lissivigeen somewhere.
    There sure was/is: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057586335

Currently suspended.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/compulsory-purchase-order-listowel-bypass-published/

The N69 Listowel Bypass has been submitted to An Bord Pleanala.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Is it going to be S2 or 2+2 DC?

• Advertisement

S2 with roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Hardly needs to be 2+2 DC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Hardly needs to be 2+2 DC

You would be surprised, the Tralee bypass is 2+2 which is total overkill but there you have it, future proofing I suppose.
    Anyway, Listowel bypass is S2

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Thanks lads. :-)

Kevwoody wrote: »
    You would be surprised, the Tralee bypass is 2+2 which is total overkill but there you have it, future proofing I suppose.

S2 will still be fine for Listowel - it's not exactly a big place and will still be a big improvement on having to go through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Kevwoody wrote: »

Said the tralee bypass was a waste of money originally and I think it still is. The only benefit it has is relieving the N21 by creating a new route to Killarney. The rest is a white elephant and 2+2 was complete overkill. A bypass to the N86 rather than to the N69 would have made more sense economically.

The Listowel bypass with WS2 should do fine. It can be a right pain to navigate through so I get the merits of bypassing the town.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Said the tralee bypass was a waste of money originally and I think it still is. The only benefit it has is relieving the N21 by creating a new route to Killarney. The rest is a white elephant and 2+2 was complete overkill. A bypass to the N86 rather than to the N69 would have made more sense economically.

The Listowel bypass with WS2 should do fine. It can be a right pain to navigate through so I get the merits of bypassing the town.
    Given that the Tralee bypass is 8km long and would've been a wide single carriageway otherwise, which would have cost 10% less, the decision to go 2+2 was the right one, especially considering it's future proofed.

Remember that the Westlink had less than 10,000 cars on it at the start and it was a narrow 2x2 bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

Limerick74 wrote: »

Closing statements in oral hearing to be heard on Thursday from 10am. A quick hearing these days.

Decision due on Listowel bypass by 9 November 2017.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/HA0052.htm

• Advertisement

The N69 Listowel Bypass has been approved by An Bord Pleanala

http://www.radiokerry.ie/green-light-given-listowel-bypass/

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Irish_rat wrote: »

You're obviously not very familiar with Tralee! The traffic situation in my part of town has been absolutely transformed since the bypass opened. And as Marno pointed out, there was a very sound economic basis for going with 2+2.

It's great news the Listowel (semi-)bypass has been granted PP. It's exactly the right scheme for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

Quackster wrote: »
    ........It's great news the Listowel (semi-)bypass has been granted PP. It's exactly the right scheme for the town.

Worrabout the barn owls, bats, whooper swans, and otters :confused:

marno21 wrote: »
    The N69 Listowel Bypass has been approved by An Bord Pleanala

http://www.radiokerry.ie/green-light-given-listowel-bypass/

Brilliant news, should make my occasional trips from Cork to Ballybunion that bit easier! When can we expect this to start construction?

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=128473

Tender has appeared for consultants to take this all the way now. I'm surprised it's come this quick, it must mean that the project is now fully funded.

I'd expect this to start now in early 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Tender for Consultants to take scheme through phases 5 to 7 of TII PM Guidelines likely to be awarded next week

Tender for Consultants to take scheme through phases 5 to 7 of TII PM Guidelines likely to be awarded next week

Fantastic. That was quick

• Advertisement

Awarded to Jacobs:

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/207773

Advertisement