Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VSDC Free Video Editing Software - jerky playback. Solution or alternatives?.

• 06-08-2014 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭

I want to start playing with video that I shoot on my Sony RX100 camera.

I have downloaded VSDC Free Video Editor.

My problem is that I'm getting jerky playback from any of the files that I load into it.

The footage is shot at 1920 x 1080 (16:9) with a framerate of 50fps. Sound frequency is 48khz.

I have inputted these settings, but it makes no difference.

Any thoughts? Anyone use this software? If not, any suggestions for freeware?

Thanks.

D.

Ps. I've tried MS Movie Maker, but I can't seem to separate sound and video, which I want to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What are your computers specs? 1080 at 50fps is serious and requires serious PC grunt to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

ScumLord wrote: »
    What are your computers specs? 1080 at 50fps is serious and requires serious PC grunt to work with.

Windows 8.1

3.00 Intel Core 2.

8Gb RAM (4 x 2)

Nvidia Quadro FX 1700 graphics card.

Both Movie Maker and Cyberlink's PowerDirector (trial version) playback the video without a hitch.

Thanks for the reply.

D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What format video files are you using? Might be best converting to a more editing-friendly format or proxy - even the main video editing suites would struggle with that heavy sort of footage.

Dinarius wrote: »
    Windows 8.1

3.00 Intel Core 2.

8Gb RAM (4 x 2)

Nvidia Quadro FX 1700 graphics card.

Both Movie Maker and Cyberlink's PowerDirector (trial version) playback the video without a hitch.

Thanks for the reply.

D.
    If you can't find a problem and Johnnys suggestion of converting doesn't work more ram might help.

The only problem with converting will be a loss in quality for things like colour correction.

I don't know if Adobe still offer trials of premiere but you could try that to see if it can handle the files better, then at least you know it's a limitation of the software you're using now.

Files are .MTS

Photoshop plays them without a hitch too, albeit without sound since it doesn't support Dolby.

I must have something wrong in the settings.

Thought someone might be familiar with this program.

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement

Update:

Gave up and am now trialing PowerDirector Ultra.

D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

MTS files aren't designed for editing, or indeed even viewing on a computer. They're just a compressed file type cameras use to store footage. They should be converted into a format programmes can actually work with. A friend of mine had similar issues when he only had access to MTS files.

If you have the files still on your camera, plug it back in and use the editing software's dedicated import feature (I'm not sure how good any free software is in that regard as I've only really worked with FCP). Sony might also offer a proper import software.

They need to be converted and uncompressed as the film type is not intended for what you're trying to use it for. Doing so will improve the quality of footage and your editing workflow (plus the pressure on your harddrive).

Johnny,

Many thanks.

I don't have the files on the camera anymore. They're on my computer.

PowerDirector imports them without a problem, but doesn't offer any Import Settings to convert them on the way.

So, what App could I use to convert them?

And what file type should I convert them to?

Thanks again.

D.

I'm still on a tape camera so Premiere records off the camera in mpeg.

From what I can see premiere also works with mts. They have a cut down version called premiere elements that's around €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 onaaaaa

1080p with 50fps is no problem, I just touch VSDC Free Video Editor, and I know you can cut some video clips for saving space,lol,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 CynthiaYoung

I think Kinemaster pro paid version free download at GameStoreMobi will be the most good changes.

I’ve been using the free version of DaVinci Resolve for the last three years.

Superb. And the support is superb also. Just check out the demo videos on their website.

D.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi - similar issue too. have moved to a gopro and recording at 2.7k 60fps and a pc with an i7 and 12gb of ram.

But Pinnacle 24 is stuttering like mad. Reading up, it seems my older GTX750 gc does not support whats needed - H.265/4 I think.

Video stutters in other programs too. VLC is fine, and not sure why.

Any recs on a graphics card to support 4k/2.7k video editing.

Thx

Advertisement