17-05-2021, 18:01   #3001
Wetasanotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieSituation View Post
It says 'BUS' on the front of the icon. It also will be a bus stop on a roadway. It's unlikely to be serviced by any trains.
Then why even bother with an icon?
Bad design is bad design.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-05-2021, 18:05   #3002
BonnieSituation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetasanotter View Post
Then why even bother with an icon?
Bad design is bad design.
I agree that putting bus on the front of the icon is somewhat tautologous, but let's be frank here. It's clearly a bloody bus.

It's not like it's an icon on a wall in an office building with no context.

It's an icon, atop a pole at the side of a street. What else might it represent?

No amount of acting all Helen Lovejoy-esque about the blind leper in a wheel chair who can only speak Arabic on Tuesday mornings being unable to distinguish between a bus and a train is gonna change the fact that, it's a bloody bus.

There's more to criticise than that icon and yascaoimhin's idea of a more iconic flag is worthy of further discussion as well.

But let's have some perspective.

Last edited by BonnieSituation; 18-05-2021 at 10:19.
17-05-2021, 18:53   #3003
Thelonious Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcsb View Post
2023 to 2024 but could still be cancelled by then. There'll be nothing like that on the h spine anyway.
That's when the real fun will start, the Mannix's of this world wont let CPOing etc happen without a long drawn out fight.
(3) thanks from:
17-05-2021, 20:19   #3004
cgcsb

Are they STILL making the Irish version of place names italic? Why on gods green earth? Does this not annoy the life out of people? Why italic? Just do the whole thing in italic so.
17-05-2021, 22:40   #3005
GT89
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post
Yes it does - but will that entice people out of their cars and onto buses, especially for orbital journeys?

Leave the car behind for a bus that’ll trundle along and possibly wait at certain locations to catch up on the schedule.

It’s a very fine balancing act getting the running times right.
Thing is though buses running way ahead of schedule and leaving early isn't going to entice people out of their cars either. People want a service they can depend on. I haven't really noticed go ahead buses going a whole lot slower than DB routes and I've been using them since they started operations in 2018.

Few times I've seen them pulling stopping at bus stops opening and closing the doors with no one getting on or off but I haven't noticed them trundling along. During normal circumstances at least.

Last edited by GT89; 17-05-2021 at 22:44.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-05-2021, 00:29   #3006
Wetasanotter

Quote:
I agree that putting bus on the front of the icon is somewhat tautologous, but let's be frank here. It's clearly a bloody bus.

It's not like it's an icon on a wall in an office building with no context.

It's an icon, atop a pole at the side of a street. What else might it represent?

No amount of acting all Helen Lovejoy-esque about the blind leper in a wheel chair who can only speak Arabic on Tuesday morning's being unable to distinguish between a bus and a train is gonna change the fact that, it's a bloody bus.

There's more to criticise than that icon and yascaoimhin's idea of a more iconic flag is worthy of further discussion as well.

But let's have some perspective.
They're spending millions (tens of millions?) on the redesign - it's valid to criticise elements of such.

Stop ranting and make a better argument than going on increasingly weird segues about arabic, simpsons characters and whether someone is blind or not.
Thanks from:
18-05-2021, 00:43   #3007
BonnieSituation

Quote:
They're spending millions (tens of millions?) on the redesign - it's valid to criticise elements of such.

Stop ranting and make a better argument than going on increasingly weird segues about arabic, simpsons characters and whether someone is blind or not.
Me? Segues? Surely not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT89 View Post
True but a native Chinese or Arabic speaker might not realise that
Methinks you might have missed wee GT89's contribution, since deleted, which I was parodying.

Perhaps wind your own neck in yourself before you go around "ranting" at others especially seeing as your contributions on the last couple of pages have been you jumping in with two feet. A wee bit rich.
18-05-2021, 04:08   #3008
Wetasanotter

Quote:
Methinks you might have missed wee GT89's contribution, since deleted, which I was parodying.
So you understand neither parody nor hyperbole, got it.

Quote:
Perhaps wind your own neck in yourself before you go around "ranting" at others especially seeing as your contributions on the last couple of pages have been you jumping in with two feet. A wee bit rich.
You also clearly don't understand what a rant is (here's a hint, two sentences do not make one)

You posted that having a useful visual icon that made it clear and obvious what the stop is for was unnecessary because it was self-evidently a bus stop.

I posted the obvious question as to why even bother with an icon if that's true, and that bad design is bad design (regardless of functionality).

You then wrote 6 sentences, none of which addressed my two simple points while having a wee auld grandstanding rant.

P.S. As a bonus, you also don't understand what the word tautologous means. It refers to either logical arguments or written sentences, the word you were looking for was redundant. Perhaps you should try to write clearer rather than 'cleverer'? It might also help you make an actual response to what someone posts rather than making the thread about you.
18-05-2021, 07:15   #3009
Pete_Cavan

Quote:
You posted that having a useful visual icon that made it clear and obvious what the stop is for was unnecessary because it was self-evidently a bus stop.
That's not accurate. I'm pretty sure his/her point was that whether the icon is a single or double decker bus is irrelevant, as the whole context will make it clear it is a bus stop. I think it's a fair point, whether it's a single or double decker bus on the icon isn't going to make it any more or less recognisable as a bus stop.
Advertisement
18-05-2021, 10:15   #3010
BonnieSituation

Quote:
So you understand neither parody nor hyperbole, got it.

You also clearly don't understand what a rant is (here's a hint, two sentences do not make one)

I posted the obvious question as to why even bother with an icon if that's true, and that bad design is bad design (regardless of functionality).

You then wrote 6 sentences, none of which addressed my two simple points while having a wee auld grandstanding rant.

P.S. As a bonus, you also don't understand what the word tautologous means. It refers to either logical arguments or written sentences, the word you were looking for was redundant. Perhaps you should try to write clearer rather than 'cleverer'? It might also help you make an actual response to what someone posts rather than making the thread about you.
Wow.

Look at this guy.

Eh, thanks for demonstrating to me what a rant actually is.

Where would we be without your input I wonder?

Probably standing with our Chinese and Arabic speaking friends at the bus stop waiting on a train no doubt.
18-05-2021, 10:18   #3011
BonnieSituation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Cavan View Post
That's not accurate. I'm pretty sure his/her point was that whether the icon is a single or double decker bus is irrelevant, as the whole context will make it clear it is a bus stop. I think it's a fair point, whether it's a single or double decker bus on the icon isn't going to make it any more or less recognisable as a bus stop.
I thought my point was pretty damn clear. But then again, some people all too readily let the red mist descend, for God knows what reason.

In all my years on boards and in my professional career I don't think I've ever seen such "passion" for an icon atop a bus stop.

If they put as much effort into their public submissions as they do on here losing the rag, imagine what we could all achieve. Such misplaced ranty energy. Shame.
18-05-2021, 15:01   #3012
Sam Russell

Mod: Can you stop the bickering.

This is about Busconnects. The redesign and rebranding is not for here. Start a new thread if you think it is worth it.

(3) thanks from:
02-06-2021, 21:29   #3013
CatInABox

Only tangentially related to BusConnects at this stage, but the news about Deirdre Conroy, opponent to all things BusConnects, has had me in stitches today. Really made my day.

https://twitter.com/wereontheditch/s...27401921482763
(4) thanks from:
02-06-2021, 21:52   #3014
AlmightyCushion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInABox View Post
Only tangentially related to BusConnects at this stage, but the news about Deirdre Conroy, opponent to all things BusConnects, has had me in stitches today. Really made my day.

https://twitter.com/wereontheditch/s...27401921482763
It reads like a parody story. She only thought about renting the cupboard out to a student because she had one of her kids in it and they were complaining about it.
Thanks from:
12-06-2021, 07:09   #3015
LXFlyer

H Spine implementation

The details of the first round of the new bus network have been published - the H Spine which will replace routes 29a, 31/a/b and 32 along the Howth Road Corridor, to be implemented on Sunday 27th June.

Full details including timetables from termini are here:
https://www.transportforireland.ie/h-spine/

A brochure has been published which shows the routes:
https://www.transportforireland.ie/w...h-11.06.21.pdf

This is a relatively straightforward set of changes from a customer perspective, as it involves the 29a becoming the H1, the 32 becoming the H2, and the 31 becoming the H3. The main changes are an increase in services, and that these routes will operate co-ordinated schedules to deliver a 7-8 minute frequency for much of the day along the Howth Road between City Centre and All Saints Road in Raheny.

These routes will retain the same routing as currently taken, with the exception of the H2 which will operate via Carrickhill Road and Wendell Avenue in Portmarnock, rather than directly along Strand Road.

An additional route H9 will operate some morning peak hour extras inbound only from All Saints Road to the city centre.

A new hourly radial route, route 6, will replace the 31a and 31b and this will operate along the Howth Road to Raheny before deviating along Watermill Road and James Larkin Road, before continuing to Sutton Cross, and then operating first via Strand Road and Shielmartin Road before continuing around Howth Head via the Summit to terminate at Howth Railway Station.

Services will have longer operating hours along the corridor (first outbound buses at 05:00 (Mon/Fri), 06:00 (Sat) and 07:00 (Sun), with last departure from city centre at midnight (Mon-Fri and Sunday), and 00:15 on Saturdays.

Overall there will be about 40 extra departures on the corridor in each direction Monday-Friday, and over 50 extra in each direction on Saturday and on Sunday.

The only other change for now is that the 102 and 32x will have a small routing change in Portmarnock where they will route directly along Strand Road rather than via Wendell Avenue and Carrickbrack Road.

This spine really is a test-bed for the operator (Dublin Bus in this case) before we get into much more complicated changes such as the C Spine later this year.

No fare changes are happening with this round of changes - that will happen with the C Spine (including the 90 minute ticket I expect) as it will involve quite a few new local and orbital bus routes which will result in more connections being made.

Overall, the changes are positive, with longer operating hours and increased service levels throughout the day across the corridor.

The only potential downside that I see, is that the number of the departures from Baldoyle on the H1 will be one less between 07:30 and 08:30 compared with the 29a, and simlilarly the H2 has one less departure from Malahide during that period (there will be extras from further in at All Saints Road).

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion