Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Urgently need to fix teeth damaged during childhood abuse

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hilfe

So I'm a bit confused after this. Is it wrong to tell the dentist that this is affecting my mental health severely. My social work and psychiatrist stated that it's important to mention it so that I find a dentist I feel comfortable with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hilfe wrote: »
    So I'm a bit confused after this. Is it wrong to tell the dentist that this is affecting my mental health severely. My social work and psychiatrist stated that it's important to mention it so that I find a dentist I feel comfortable with.

No, i think dentists understand that bad teeth can really impact a person confidence and view of themselves. But that won't sway the dentist into exposing themselves financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The dentist will want to assess if the condition of your teeth is due to neglect and/or physical trauma, and if the same issues are likely to occur after treatment. Finding a Dentist you feel comfortable with is important, but remember, your Dentist is not a social worker or psychiatrist and may be inclined to avoid providing treatment if they think the issue is psychological rather than dental, and dental treatment may not have the expected mental benefit the patient is looking for.

So I’ll sum this up, your Dentist will focus on his/her area of expertise, your teeth, the psychological element of your recovery may be aided by improvements to the condition/appearance of your teeth, but judging by what you posted, the issues are more complex, therefore other professional treatment may be needed. Irrespective of your life experience, you are unlikely to get a Dentist to allow payment by instalments after costly treatment has been provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hilfe

Dav010 wrote: »
    The dentist will want to assess if the condition of your teeth is due to neglect and/or physical trauma, and if the same issues are likely to occur after treatment. Finding a Dentist you feel comfortable with is important, but remember, your Dentist is not a social worker or psychiatrist and may be inclined to avoid providing treatment if they think the issue is psychological rather than dental, and dental treatment may not have the expected mental benefit the patient is looking for.

So I’ll sum this up, your Dentist will focus on his/her area of expertise, your teeth, the psychological element of your recovery may be aided by improvements to the condition/appearance of your teeth, but judging by what you posted, the issues are more complex, therefore other professional treatment may be needed. Irrespective of your life experience, you are unlikely to get a Dentist to allow payment by instalments after costly treatment has been provided.

I don't know if what you intend to communicate is coming out the same in written form.

I don't think a dentist is a psychologist nor do I think that they are going to treat trauma derived from childhood.

As I repeated many times on this thread I have a social worker and a psychiatrist. I attend counselling sessions.

I am in physical pain from my teeth and I carry scars around the gums and damaged teeth due to blunt force trauma. Walking around like this is causing me great distress.

It isn't unreasonable for anyone to assume that removing the cause of my distress will go some way to making me feel less distressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't know if what you intend to communicate is coming out the same in written form.

I don't think a dentist is a psychologist nor do I think that they are going to treat trauma derived from childhood.

As I repeated many times on this thread I have a social worker and a psychiatrist. I attend counselling sessions.

I am in physical pain from my teeth and I carry scars around the gums and damaged teeth due to blunt force trauma. Walking around like this is causing me great distress.

It isn't unreasonable for anyone to assume that removing the cause of my distress will go some way to making me feel less distressed.

I suggest you ignore things like that.

There is a clear, well documented relationship between perceived deformity and mental health. No one will judge you for talking about this in terms of mental health and if they do I suggest you look elsewhere. I would say that very few professionals would suggest you are confusing a dental health professional for a mental health professional.

You are also right to think that this should help your mental health. Again this is well established in the medical literature. A girl I worked with had a scar on her head from childhood abuse which affected her tremendously until she had scar revision surgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Sorry to hear about that OP, nothing worse than feeling like your appearance is holding you back from fully enjoying your life.

Seeing as you seem to feel you'll eventually be able to afford the expensive treatments once you're more settled in your career, maybe you could look into clip on verneers as a stop gap between now and that indefinite point in the future? They don't look amazing, and can look false if they are cheaply made, so aren't a good long term solution, but definitely better looking than teeth with severe issues, rotting or crookedness or gaps. Like, it will stop inciting disgust from others and you'll be able to smile again, at least. They are only a few hundred quid. Tonnes of different brands and producers, so I can't advise on that as I know very little , but sounds to me like it could be perfect for what you want at this moment in time.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgMT-uQzPTHoGlQRygnvT8QBfMifEoVZUeAw&usqp=CAU
    https://www.theperfectsmile.co.uk/cosmetic-dentistry/smiles-2-suit-u/digital-smile-designing/snap-smile
    Teeth-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

That's a great suggestion BB. I never heard of those. Maybe go for that OP.

Advertisement