Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

The Equinox looks really interesting. You'll be in esteemed company using Ogham on it.

If you can say, will the bezel overhang the case, or sit flush like the image?

It'll be flush - I had wanted 40mm originally but it wasn't possible with the tungsten shell over steel casing - so it's a 42mm watch and I didn't want to put off too many people with overly large case - so no overhang - every mm counts (you say 43mm and some people will automatically turn off).

And heh on the script - yeah if it's in ogham then people won't be able to recognise it as a Sólás watch immediately 😉

I know Roy Klokker from the Valhalla watch brand too - a very nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Thirdfox wrote: »
    It'll be flush - I had wanted 40mm originally but it wasn't possible with the tungsten shell over steel casing - so it's a 42mm watch and I didn't want to put off too many people with overly large case - so no overhang - every mm counts (you say 43mm and some people will automatically turn off).

And heh on the script - yeah if it's in ogham then people won't be able to recognise it as a Sólás watch immediately 😉

I know Roy Klokker from the Valhalla watch brand too - a very nice guy.

Thanks TF. Appreciate the difference 1mm can make to the perception of size. Will be following this with very close interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Solas CE on Random Rob live stream right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnf0AeOEras

Some eagle eyed people spotted that the crown size was used from the Starlight's 4mm rather than 6mm - here is the correct crown size render in proportion to the case:

PDilm3ml.png

Much better sized now :D

And what the markings that go around the bezel translate as:

l26r2cjl.jpg

While I'm no Fitz or the other YT guru - I am planning on using the Sólás YT channel to provide an "electronic" instruction manual for those who may not understand the intricacies/nuances of owning a mechanical watch (preaching to choir here I know!)

For Youtube - in order to get a custom channel URL - I need at least 100 subscribers (which apparently I do have) - but maybe Google knows my personal account is a subscriber too... could I ask a favour and ask that one more person subscribes so that I get to 101 subscribers so I can check why I'm not getting the option to choose a custom URL

Here's the current address to the Sólás YT channel (very handy to remember I know):
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzG9JP5stquq4FId7I9flTw

Really appreciated :D

No OnlyFans Sólás account I promise :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Subscribed

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Sent you my address. Getting excited now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Subscribed to bump your numbers up. Watches are savage yokes tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

You're up to 111 now.
    ðŸ‘

Seems like YT just takes its time to "unlock" the custom URL feature (might be useful info for Fitz too) - thanks for helping guys - at way over 100 subs now and still no option for the custom url (you'll actually see that on the warranty cards I gave a tinyurl address: www.tinyurl.com/solaswatches to redirect to the YT channel for the instruction e-manual).

• Advertisement

When do you reckon Ireland folk will have the Starlight in hand?

All going well the shipments from Dublin should start next week at some point (hence me sending out the survey to backers asking for confirmation of addresses) - then I'm aiming for about 10 watches shipped out per day - so all the KS backers should be covered within 19 days+weekends when I'll have time to QC more watches but post office isn't open on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,460 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I should have bloody bought 2!
    Completely forgot my baby brothers 21st birthday is next month and now he has seen the watch he is trying to lay claim!
    I may well be a customer at retail too TF ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

With the easing of restrictions is a mini-meet / handover a runner? Hassle to organise and suit everyone I know but... would be nice, y'know before you get all famous and ivory towerish... :D

banie01 wrote: »
    I should have bloody bought 2!
    Completely forgot my baby brothers 21st birthday is next month and now he has seen the watch he is trying to lay claim!
    I may well be a customer at retail too TF ;)

Ha - well the retail pre-order comes with a 100 euro discount (and a serial number too - depending what variation you get a no.2 serial is still available :pac: - and while I say September on the site - it's more likely that August would be the actual delivery date.
    fat bloke wrote: »
    With the easing of restrictions is a mini-meet / handover a runner? Hassle to organise and suit everyone I know but... would be nice, y'know before you get all famous and ivory towerish... :D

I would love to get the meet up - there is a slight issue on my part (I remember we had mentioned perhaps even doing something using the postage fees to organise an event somewhere before C19 hit). There is a Thirdfox jr (thankfully not named that) on the way - and in fact it's a very good reason why I will most certainly have the watches sent out by end of June ;) - as such I hope it's understandable that I will be safely cocooning myself in my tungsten tower for the whole Fox family :)

I'd be keen to have an Equinox party in the future :) - and even before that hopefully boardsie meets will occur again and we'll all have a chance to meet in person.

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Ah the old 'having a baby to avoid meeting random people from a watch forum' trick. Heard it all before.

Congrats!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Wishing you lots of Sonas with the new arrival, Thirdfox. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Best of luck, and congratulations to all in the expanding TF household!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭893bet

It is most important to remember at this time.....that a new baby is the perfect excuse for a brand spanking new watch for yourself under the guise of it being a birth year watch for a present in 21 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Congratulations and welcome baby FourthFox

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Congratulations and best wishes to the Thirdfox family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Congrats!

RMDrive wrote: »
    Ah the old 'having a baby to avoid meeting random people from a watch forum' trick. Heard it all before.

Second only to "I was just trying to get a gummy venus di milo stuck on her clothes!" :D
    893bet wrote: »
    It is most important to remember at this time.....that a new baby is the perfect excuse for a brand spanking new watch for yourself under the guise of it being a birth year watch for a present in 21 years time.

Ha - that completely escaped my mind - taking delivery of all the baby stuff over the last few weeks has prepared to take delivery of my "little babies" (as I call them) - they've reached Guangzhou airport today.

And thanks everyone for the congratulations - I think most of the work has been performed by MsThirdfox to be fair - and well - I do have a personal eagrán brádan feasa to hand over to babyfox - a birth year watch that should be pretty cool once he's old enough to understand the story behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Excuse my ignorance but is this the first 'babyfox'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I think most of the work has been performed by MsThirdfox to be fair

Dont be modest, you kept up your end of the deal ;)

FcXTw1Lh.jpg

No escaping the tax man here :D - Revenue's been pre-paid their cut of VAT and import duty to ensure the pallets sail through Irish custom clearance (reminder - the great thing about watches is that while duty is "4.5% of the value of the watches" it is also subject to a maximum duty of 80c - otherwise a 4.5% duty (after which you need to pay 23% VAT on top) might have made the cheapest CE Starlights economically unfeasible :p . This is only for non-precious metal watches however - I haven't checked what the tax treatment of precious metal watches' import duty is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭893bet

Excuse my ignorance but is this the first 'babyfox'?

I hope so.

Can the real “third” fox please stand up (or crawl or roll etc).

Advertisement