Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortgage - low fee for breaking fixed rate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yes but thats not to do with the fact they are leaving, its just the way the formula worked out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Just a heads up to anyone switching to Avant, they're swamped with applications. Wait time is now around 7-8weeks for an AIP. So some paperwork may have to be submitted again once your number is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Very disheartening to hear this.

I sent all requested docs to our broker and he came back and said we were "missing" a few docs and sent me another list, but none of those were on the original list 🙄

I broke our fixed rate and went to variable. Zero breakage fee. I had a lump sum sitting as account credit and so I sent off the overpayment form for that today. I think all going well (if we stay with PTSB), we could have that paid off in 10 months. Some may not think this is the best thing to do right now but while we were being offered zero breakage fee, and knowing we can clear it in 10 months, we wanted to go for it. The remainder of the mortgage is a tracker + 1%. Not sure what to do about that yet if we stay with PTSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LionKing7

Hello,

Does anyone know how to generate a Binance statement for last six months to submit for the Mortgage?

Currently in the middle of switching and they requested to submit this. I tried ti generate it in Binance and it doesn’t come up with my name and account number but an excel sheet. Has anyone done this as part of their application?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Never done that, but can you just edit the spreadsheet to include the details required?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 LionKing7

Hi Soarer,

Thanks for the reply.

I finally managed to get in touch with Binance support team and they also asked to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ACAandCTA

Not great news for people trying to switch to Avant, rate increases for anyone who applies after 13th May or anyone who has applied beforehand but doesn't complete drawdown by 15th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Yeah, but Avant's 3 and 4 year rates are unchanged at 1.95% with no BER restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Tandey

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I am anyway. Still waiting. They asked for more documentation last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Summary:

Switched from PTSB (2.95%) to AIB (2.15%).

Started process using AIB's online mortgage tool on 29 January 2022. The documents took several weeks to get verified. It was a painful process and you need to be patience.

Final mortgage transferred on 9th May. Overall, it took 3 months. And savings of €6000 (after paying solicitors fee etc) over the next 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Broke our fixed rate mortgage with BOI due to expire next summer for zero fee. Lowered our term and upped the monthly amount for one month's payment on variable. Just posted off yesterday new 5 year fixed at new monthly amount. Should have about 1.5 years left at that stage. Thanks everyone here for the suggestions. We would have been moaning next year about how high the rates have gone when the fixed period expired otherwise.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jack842

Aplogies if this is a silly question but wonder if someone who has been through switching could explain the actual process.

If i ring my bank today and they tell me that the fee today to break is zero, i then apply today to a new bank that i want to switch to and go through the approval process which could take weeks or months so by the time i go to actually switch the break fee could be up to a couple of thousand.

How you get around this? or do you just take your chances that the break fee is still zero on the day you actually switch?

Is there some way to lock in the break fee at zero?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Del007

Yeah, you can break the fixed rate and move onto their current variable rate now. This would increase your monthly repayment by a few quid (the bank should tell you the new monthly repayment) but it's only for a couple of months, so when you switch you're switching from a variable rate, no fee involved.

Or you can take your chances that the break fee would still be zero in a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Three percent, unfortunately we don't qualify for the "green" rates.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Started the switching process with a broker last week and was hoping to get Avant's 7 year fixed but looking like it could take months and circumstances aren't as clear cut as when taking out original mortgage due to additions of kids and wife on maternity leave.

I'm currently with U Bank and have a year left on my fixed. Checked with them a couple of months ago and there was a zero breakage fee on my fixed rate.

With all the talk off jumps in rates this year I'm thinking of going off my fixed rate (2.6%) and assuming this is possible immediately signing up to a 7 or 10 year fixed rate with U Bank which are both at 2.8%.

Not sure if this is a good idea or not but at least I wouldn't have to wait months to see if we can switch to Avant or not and with the likes of ICS increasing its rate today by 1% just feel it might be better.

Any feedback on this or can you even break your fixed rate one day and then go on a new fixed rate the next day with the same bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭razorronan

Has anyone here successfully switched to Avant recently. I sent in my switching application through broker on the 7th of April but still waiting on approval. Just trying to get an idea how long it is taking Avant to approve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I started my switcher journey with Doddl and Avant around the middle of February. I got my API around 5 weeks later and my loan offer issued the start of April. I signed my loan offer with my solicitor last week and the switch should be done in the next week or so.

I sent my docs on March 5th. Got asked for a form 11 a couple of weeks ago. I provided it right away. Radio silence since.

• Advertisement

I don’t think it’s a bad idea but is it even possible? As UB and KBC are leaving the market are they allowing people to re-fix with them?

Just off the phone with KBC, they're sending me a form to fix my mortgage. I'm currently on a fixed rate with them until Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you switch to another provider and get the 2% cashback or whatever it is they're offering? Not worth the hassle?

Rang them today and they seem to be still offering the rates on their website so thinking I might just go with the 10 year one even if it means a 0.2% increase. Definitely not keen leaving it until next year and waiting to see what Permanent TSB are offering.

I was originally with Bank of Ireland and I did change to KBC. It was a lot of hassle alright, I'm now married so I would imagine it's even more hassle.

How much are solicitors charging these days?

Be looking at ballpark €1200

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

1200 to 1500.. I'd say 1500 would be standard but if you shop around you'd find someone for 1200.

Must say switching to perm tsb 2.5 percent 3 year fixed rate seems handy enough so far. Just needed payslips and account statements mainly. The application form is tedious, but I flew through it and skipped anything that felt unnecessary. My balance is 300k so I'm getting 6k cash off them and also 2% cashback on mortgage repayments which is about 55 euro a month for me which is nice. Also free banking with them as well.

If your balance is over 200k might be worth considering. After solicitor fees I'm going to be left with well over 4000 euro plus 600 euro per year.

I was with BOI before.. they were grand, decent customer service but account fees were expensive imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Interesting times ahead - everything points towards interest hikes.

I'm on a 5 Year fixed which will expire in Aug 2023, receiving 3400 from BOI as part of their 1% cashback deal...will interest rates rise enough for me to discount that 3400, break with the bank (the breakage fee is getting lower and I even think some on here were able to get 0 breakage fee with BOI) and try and fix elsewhere? Or should the 3400 be enough of an incentive to stay and fix again somewhere, without penalty in Aug 2023, hoping the rise will be marginal?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭razorronan

Thanks Davexirl. Do you mind me asking what was the delay between your loan offer at start of April and only signing the loan offer last week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jack842

I'm pretty much in the exact same suitation as you, I'm just started an application to PTSB for thier 2.35% 5 year fixed with 2% cashback and 2% back on your monthly mortage payments. Even accounting for switching fee's and losing the cashback from BOI my savings are still around 9,000 over the 5 years. PLus the security of being fixed for the next 5 years. Seems like a no brainer. My break fee is current zero with BOI.

Advertisement