Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-02-2020, 13:05   #736
Markcheese

Dunno if they're still in Aldi ,but I got some dry aged rib eyes ( about 36 days ) , which were wow ,
They weren't cheap cheap .. about 11 euros for 2 steaks , but they were great , as in really great ...
I overcooked them a bit ( wanted medium rare ended up with medium well ) and it was still one of the nicest steaks I ever had ... Ever ...
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 13:55   #737
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkmonkey View Post

Anyone doing Tomohalks or cowboy steaks for Valentine's this year wouldn't mind picking up some when they go on sale next week.
Havent seen cowboys anywhere since Super Value did them at the start of January. Would love a heads up if they come back.
13-02-2020, 13:58   #738
The Nal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muahahaha View Post
Havent seen cowboys anywhere since Super Value did them at the start of January. Would love a heads up if they come back.
FX Buckleys do them. Most butchers will cut one for you. Its just a rib from a rib roast.
Thanks from:
13-02-2020, 14:00   #739
MmmChocolate

Fwiw - this might sound a bit obvious but after trying various steaks from various shops and various offers and deals etc (and indeed not-on-offer branded 'finest' meat) for years, I recently started buying steak over the counter in butchers' shops again and the jump in quality was unreal - not to mention you're supporting a local small business. You won't save much - although a lot of butchers will do their own offers too - but in terms of bang for your buck, I highly recommend giving your local butcher a go again if you've drifted away for the convenience of the one stop shop. I was even able to get the nice man to cut a fresh sirloin for me for me cos none of the ones on display were thick enough for me - I like a good rare steak.

Just my two cents' worth.
13-02-2020, 15:28   #740
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by septictank View Post
Odd? Do you mean price, usually around €11, or weight, 7 instead of 8oz, going metric I guess.
the term "odd" is like saying "something", when you cannot remember the exact price

"how much was that jacket?"
"fifty euro odd" or "fifty euro something" mean the same thing. In this case 8euro odd is €8.20
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 19:03   #741
septictank

[QUOTE=rubadub;112534225]the term "odd" is like saying "something", when you cannot remember the exact price

"how much was that jacket?"
"fifty euro odd" or "fifty euro something" mean the same thing. In this case 8euro odd is €8.20[/QUOTE

See that now alright, just thought there was an , missing.
As "Is that odd"
Either way, it's just wrong, 7oz me arse, just another way to make them smaller.
Thanks from:
13-02-2020, 20:46   #742
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmChocolate View Post
Fwiw - this might sound a bit obvious but after trying various steaks from various shops and various offers and deals etc (and indeed not-on-offer branded 'finest' meat) for years, I recently started buying steak over the counter in butchers' shops again and the jump in quality was unreal - not to mention you're supporting a local small business. You won't save much - although a lot of butchers will do their own offers too - but in terms of bang for your buck, I highly recommend giving your local butcher a go again if you've drifted away for the convenience of the one stop shop. I was even able to get the nice man to cut a fresh sirloin for me for me cos none of the ones on display were thick enough for me - I like a good rare steak.

Just my two cents' worth.
I think it can depend on the butcher, my local guy is the only butcher for a 15 mile radius and so is pretty expensive vis a vis Aldi/Supervalue. He charged me 27 euro for 2 kilos of beef shin there a while back when Ive often got it in other butchers for 9-10 per kilo. We've got the same problem with the local pharmacy, they're the only one in town so their prices are off the scale, paid 75 for a script one day and was so pissed off about it rang Boots to price it up- 49 euro

As a result I only use the local butcher if Im really stuck as I cant justify prices 30% higher than elsewhere. If his prices were reasonable Id shop there a lot more often. In general I get most meat from Aldi but then use the Village Butcher in Ranelagh once a month for an order of stuff that the supermarkets doesnt have like beef cheeks, shin, chuck steak, boned chicken thighs, etc. They also do delicious free range pork chops. They're great to deal with, you can email your order in and its ready waiting for pick up on my way home.

Agree with you that the quality of the meat is usually a few notches up in butchers than the supermarkets. But my experience is some are great value for money while others are a bit of a rip imo.
(3) thanks from:
14-02-2020, 00:51   #743
nu_90

[quote="drunkmonkey;112531782"]If your going to Aldi check out the rib steak burgers along with the broche burger buns they do. You'll make an excellent burger at home with those two.

Your bang on about those two , delicious. Can't make a burger in our house without those buns anymore.
Thanks from:
14-02-2020, 16:06   #744
MmmChocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu_90 View Post
Your bang on about those two , delicious. Can't make a burger in our house without those buns anymore.
Same...there's no going back from those brioche buns!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 17:54   #745
drunkmonkey

If your passing Mc Donald's don't forget to pick up some sauce for your burgers before it's all gone...I only managed to get one sachet yesterday but it'll do 4 burgers for 50 cent https://www.google.ie/amp/s/extra.ie...cial-sauce/amp
14-02-2020, 18:03   #746
OmegaGene

Once McDonalds ****e gets into this thread it’s time to unfollow I think
Thanks from:
14-02-2020, 18:04   #747
Thargor

[QUOTE=nu_90;112539003]
Quote:
If your going to Aldi check out the rib steak burgers along with the broche burger buns they do. You'll make an excellent burger at home with those two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmChocolate View Post
Same...there's no going back from those brioche buns!
Why did they have to get rid of the sesame seed variety though? Those were perfection.
14-02-2020, 18:20   #748
marko99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmChocolate

Agreed, I'm lucky to have a fabulous local family run butcher (in Bray) and it's a resource worth its weight in gold. Top quality produce, reasonable prices, and expert first class service.
14-02-2020, 18:25   #749
caviardreams

No fillets in Aldi today - loads of all the other cuts though. Sad face.
Thanks from:
14-02-2020, 18:31   #750
garfie1d

Quote:
If your going to Aldi check out the rib steak burgers along with the broche burger buns they do. You'll make an excellent burger at home with those two.

Second that, These burgers and buns are a weekly staple for us. Grab some American cheese too (the only reason I buy the stuff!)

The Marks & Spencer’s burger sauce is just like McDonald’s sauce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 69390FE1-D7BA-4144-BD99-B16E2E2B9893.jpeg (248.3 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by garfie1d; 14-02-2020 at 18:36. Reason: Photo added
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion