Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-10-2015, 15:35   #61
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardybrewer View Post
A few people are grumbling about the lack of bargain talk. Often I see specials in the paper like T-bone normally €22.99/kg now €15.40/kg and don't really know how good a deal that is compared to other shops. Maybe a table showing steak type and price per kg would help. Of course, there are lots of factors other than price but as a guide to a good bargain maybe it would help.
I'm not sure of normal T-bone prices per kg but do I know my local butcher has rib eye steaks at €24 a kilo which seems to be a ball park price in most butchers for this cut of meat. €24/kg works out at €6 for a 250g steak. So when Lidl come along offering two 225g rib eye steaks for €6 then it is most certainly a bargain.

My butchers rib eyes are definitely tastier than what Lidl have, however they are not twice as tasty so for this week at least I'm stocking up on a few packets of the Lidl rib eyes while they are at rock bottom prices, effectively 50% cheaper than you'll find them in many butchers.
Advertisement
01-10-2015, 15:40   #62
Muahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgirl82 View Post
Can a normal person buy from Musgraves? or is it not just shops?
AFAIK you can, however if you dont have a VAT number then they'll have to charge you the VAT. So find out if their quoted prices are ex.VAT in case you get a shock at the checkout
01-10-2015, 15:52   #63
Tefral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muahahaha View Post
AFAIK you can, however if you dont have a VAT number then they'll have to charge you the VAT. So find out if their quoted prices are ex.VAT in case you get a shock at the checkout
No you need to create an account with them first as a business.

Saying that anyone that is a sole trader, your PPS number is your VAT number.

You then pay as cash, but you need a number/card before they will leave you past the door.
01-10-2015, 16:11   #64
Idioteque

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronin_j View Post
No you need to create an account with them first as a business.

Saying that anyone that is a sole trader, your PPS number is your VAT number.

You then pay as cash, but you need a number/card before they will leave you past the door.
Just a heads up for anyone that comes to this thread....your PPS number is NOT your VAT number. If you're a sole trader and plan to earn below a certain yearly threshold you don't have to register for VAT but you use your PPS number as a tax reg no. If you want to avail of paying for things 'Ex Vat' you need to register for VAT and then you charge your customers the VAT.
01-10-2015, 16:13   #65
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandana boy View Post
Fillet Steak like Chicken breasts are some of the least flavoursome cuts .

Fine if you don’t particularly like the taste of meat or if you dress in sauce.

if you want flavour though always go for Rib eye or Striploin or if you have time to marinate before hand a really cheap cut like Beef cheeks are yum.

if you know how to cook a piece of top rib prepared right will match nearly any steak.
I very much disagree the flavour of fillet is superior to other cuts, its absolutely delicious! I wound never let sauce near fillet but would sometime (on the side) with other cuts. There is something about rib eye that I'm not too gone on and while its nice I'd prefer a good sirlion or striplion but they just don't compare to fillet in texture or flavour. That said due to the price I usually have sirlion or striplion week in week out and fillet is a treat.
Advertisement
01-10-2015, 16:34   #66
Bandana boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
I very much disagree the flavour of fillet is superior to other cuts, its absolutely delicious! I wound never let sauce near fillet but would sometime (on the side) with other cuts. There is something about rib eye that I'm not too gone on and while its nice I'd prefer a good sirlion or striplion but they just don't compare to fillet in texture or flavour. That said due to the price I usually have sirlion or striplion week in week out and fillet is a treat.
you can absolutely prefer Fillet to other cuts and think the flavour is superior. There is no wrong answer to what do you prefer ,every Man,Woman and child know their own taste buds best .

That said it is though without dispute a very bland flavoured cut , that though suits a lot of people. Sure many people love steak/beef well done which imo is removing alot of the flavour from the meat .
01-10-2015, 16:39   #67
Bandana boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by testaccount123 View Post
Very high quality 28 day aged fillet lightly seasoned and served RARE is full of flavour. It is not cheap though. People buy cheap fillet and overcook it then wonder what the fuss is.

Good rib-eye, while fantastic, has three or four times the amount of calories of fillet, you cant be eating it all the time.
Good quality Fillet Steak is great
Yet still less flavour than the equivalent cut of Ribeye and Striploin.
As I said earlier I have no problem with you prefering fillet steak , but it is without doubt a blander cut.

I will not have qty of calories in a discusion about taste of Steaks it has no place , shame on you sir shame on you.
01-10-2015, 16:42   #68

No misteak about it,this is a great thread.
(2) thanks from:
01-10-2015, 16:45   #69
vicwatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tombstone_ View Post
The OP posted that 2 days ago?
Yes Im aware, 5 pages in and no more steak bargains, just chat about food

Last edited by vicwatson; 01-10-2015 at 16:51.
Advertisement
01-10-2015, 16:54   #70
martyos121

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentis View Post
No misteak about it,this is a great thread.
Indeed it is, threads this well done are quite rare these days. We must fillet with bargains.

I'll see myself out.
01-10-2015, 16:57   #71
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandana boy View Post
y

That said it is though without dispute a very bland flavoured cut , that though suits a lot of people. Sure many people love steak/beef well done which imo is removing alot of the flavour from the meat .
Why is it considered the best cut of meat so and is far more expensive than the other cuts?

I consider a fillet more flavorsome than a sirlion/striplion etc. A thick fillet cooked medium-rare has more flavour than the cheaper cuts and it melts in your mouth as its so tender.
01-10-2015, 17:05   #72
mayordenis

Mod: WIT, ZTest
Quote:
Why is it considered the best cut of meat so and is far more expensive than the other cuts?

I consider a fillet more flavorsome than a sirlion/striplion etc. A thick fillet cooked medium-rare has more flavour than the cheaper cuts and it melts in your mouth as its so tender.
I guess because there was a huge move towards lean meat in most of the western world. Fillet being generally extremely lean made it more popular.

I think there is a massive difference in flavour between rib eye and fillet.

While I agree there is no right answer to which is better, I could equally ask why is it that all those celebrity chefs favour rib eye over fillet etc.
01-10-2015, 17:10   #73
Bandana boy

Quote:

It is because it is considered the best cut that it is more expensive -Supply versus demand

couple of reasons why it is considered "better" by the majority

It looks more attractive , both raw and cooked
It is easier to cook
It is more consistent than other cuts
A cheap fillet steak from an old cow or something will still be ok
Cooked badly it still tastes good
A lot of people don’t actually like to much flavour in their meat.

But ask any meat expert/Chef or meat enthusiasts about flavour they will tell you fillet is bland

Same with really cheap and difficult to cook cuts like beef cheeks

Same applies to Chicken breasts , but I defy anybody to make a curry or casserole with thigh meat and tell me that it is nicer with breasts
Yet thigh meat is 3/4 the price per KG than Breasts.
01-10-2015, 17:20   #74
Augeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muahahaha View Post
They have to charge everyone VAT, like every business surely. VAT registered folk may claim the VAT back as applicable.

They won't sell to you unless you have an account.
01-10-2015, 17:25   #75

Quote:
Simply because it's the most tender cut. It's not the most flavoursome.

Chicken breasts are the most expensive cut of chicken. Are they the most flavoursome part of the bird?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion