Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

British version of Trump becomes PM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Boris Johnson is no fool, he might come across as one but every move he makes is calculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    That however does not mean he is like Donald Trump. They are different people, just because they are racist homophobes ( allegedly) does not indicate to me that they are similar people, at all.

There are similarities.
    Hair-style. Big mouths. Shrewd. Controversial (you mightn't like Boris's comments, but the more controversial ones were over 10 years ago, around the time Jeremy Clarkeson's shtick was still broadcastable on BBC).

The racist thing can safely be ignored, because left-leaning individuals use that slur against anyone they don't agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

antix80 wrote: »
    The US is not "deeply divided". Sure, there are people of diverse races and opinions, but they're not exactly at civil war.

Trump has a lot of self-belief in his ability to control news cycles and influence public opinion. Are you denying that he has this skill?

And the US economy is doing pretty well under Trump.

Boris's contributions seem to be fairly successful, unlike Kahn whose only achievement seems to be increase in knife crime and acid attacks.

And I'm sure Boris cares what the French think. Not many people do.

The economy of the USA is probably doing well due to the policies put in place by Barack Obama. Aside from some historical events, economics take a while to reflect the changes made by the previous government. Any benefit made gets wrongly credited to the new government.

The USA is very divided, the gap between the educated and uneducated is growing, along with the wealth gap, and the gap between those who have access to health care and those that don't. That is just a few that I can think of off the top of my head.

As for Boris being successful, do you know about the Water cannons he bought? If not, I suggest you look it up, that is the level of his success.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Hopefully he'll be able to take the Isle of Man out of the EU by 31 October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

be it through their own decision or referendum , the more they kick the can down the road or suggest voting again to remain , the more likely it is that they'll lose the working class vote for decades to come. You'll see a further rise of right wing parties as working class people flock there. The rich 'go away EU taxes' element of the vote would donate to any number of mad men, as would the elderly. Best they see it through with political experience than hand the country to the likes of the BNP.

I'm not convinced of the potential for a swing to the hard right. I watched TV interviews of people who have changed their minds about Brexit, and those who said they are now in favour of Brexit, said it was simply to be done with the damn thing. Nothing political (or economic, sadly) about it.

My reading of the whole mess is that Brexit will be bad for them, and no deal will be disastrous.There have already been significant announcements of factories etc closing. Once again, Honda in Swindon could be described as mere coincidence, but its certainly worrying. I have family working /living over there, and it sounds like people are becoming disenchanted with the whole Brexit and just want it to end. No matter the outcome. I'm still hoping that somehow the political classes will recover their sanity and lead their country out of Brexit.

A high profile Brexiter, Dyson, recently moved a chunk of his operations to Singapore, and by a stroke of good fortune, Singapore and the EU have recently negotiated a free trade agreement. Doesn't sound to me like he has any faith in GB's ability to negotiate a similar deal.

Now, if someone can paint a rosy picture of GB post-Brexit, I'd say great, and we should push Brussels to give a deal that allows us to continue with our significant exports to GB. (I know - Good Luck with THAT!).

Back OT, yep, Boris is a mini-me of Trump, but The Donald won an election, would Boris?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I don't think he is a racist, I think he is a buffoon. This idea that they are so intelligent behind it all and its just a big act, I don't buy it for a minute. The man can barely speak coherently.

Having the support of the US, Australia and most of the other british allies and territories outside of the EU will also help greatly for negociating on a non EU trade platform.

What US support? They'll take whatever the US offers them, and that'll be for the US's benefit, not the UK's. Australia's population is less than the Benelux and half a world away. What other great powers are British allies and territories?

They're not divisions. By divisions I mean conflict. You're just stating pairs of opposite words. You might as well say "young and old" "smart and dumb" "up and down"

The media have been like rabid dogs against white conservatives and the first time I remember seeing it happen was when George W Bush was elected. That's division, but no matter - it can't be pinned on the government.

Unlike Obama's words and actions that sewed division, resulting in the growth of antifa, anti-cop sentiment, and he also used the IRS, FBI to target his political opponents. We're still seeing the seeds of division planted by Barrack Obama - perhaps wrongly being credited to the new government.

As for the cannons, he bought water cannons in case there was a repeat of the rioting. Theresa May banned them for whatever reason .. and Sadiq Kahn sold them as scrap. Johnson can only be blamed so much for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Good few resignations coming in due to Boris's tenure. That would NEVER happen in Ireland, regardless of who was Taoiseach.

Having the support of the US, Australia and most of the other british allies and territories outside of the EU will also help greatly for negociating on a non EU trade platform.

Yes, I do recall Mr Trump saying he'd be more than willing to help the English privatise that NHS thing in return for such US support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

I fear that the Irish will be thrown under a bus by Brussels, its happend before.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

So in real terms BJ as prime minister is something that could affect Britain's credit rating.
    LONDON (Reuters) - Britain is more likely to leave the European Union without a deal after Boris Johnson was chosen to succeed British Prime Minister Theresa May on Tuesday, credit ratings agency Moody’s said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

steddyeddy wrote: »
    If you were hiring someone would you consider it a good point that they might get something done for "better or worse". Would you not hire someone who would get things done for the better?

There is no worse for the UK, once we leave the EU and Boris will deliver that.
    rob316 wrote: »
    Boris Johnson is no fool, he might come across as one but every move he makes is calculated.

Reckon Brussels are bricking it behind closed doors. They know that the easy days of dictating to TM and the British people are no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

brucky wrote: »
    I fear that the Irish will be thrown under a bus by Brussels, its happend before.

Said a long time ago, that it'll be a no deal exit and the EU will throw Ireland under the bus. Cannot fathom the love that some here have for the EU.

Good few resignations coming in due to Boris's tenure. That would NEVER happen in Ireland, regardless of who was Taoiseach.

Indeed. Anne Milton, education secretary has resigned along with Justice Secretary, David Gauke and Alan Duncan, Foreign Office Minister.

Berserker wrote: »

Reckon Brussels are bricking it behind closed doors. They know that the easy days of dictating to TM and the British people are no more.

Whoops.
    Boris Johnson’s Brexit plan shot down by EU within moments of him becoming Tory leader

EU Commissioner slams ‘cheap promises, simplified visions, blatantly incorrect statements’

No surprise, Boris was going to win as soon as he announced a tax break for the rich. So now we get to see whether his talk is just bluster or not. I honestly think that it is all bluster to come across as a man of action to the people, but when it comes to action he is well out of his depth.

I doubt he'll achieve anything and resign in a few months.

Brexit claims another Tory political career, and will hopefully just slowly fade away.

It is going to be fun watching the resignations come as a result of Boris Johnson winning.

Shhh. The low-income supporters of Brexit seem never to have woken up to the consequences of who will suffer in this new post-Brexit "low-cost" state. Do they think Boris, Nigel, Jacob and the legions of other wealthy Tory toffs are going to be the "low-cost" employees?

Even back in 1930s England you had a massive class resistance to the growing disparity between rich and poor, between more consumerist south-east England and everywhere else (ironically, very many of the strongest Brexit areas today were the same areas that suffered most from the decline of shipbuilding, mining etc in the '30s - today, their Brexit politicians dishonestly scapegoat the EU for longstanding economic decline).

Today, there seems to be zero class awareness of how England's poorest and least-educated/trained workers are the intended target for this proposed post-Brexit "low-cost economy". Lambs to the slaughter.

Said a long time ago, that it'll be a no deal exit and the EU will throw Ireland under the bus. Cannot fathom the love that some here have for the EU.

Ireland is a competitor to most other countries in the EU. And if we weren't in the EU, the EU would be our largest competitor in the world. It wouldn't even let us trade with other countries if it could prevent it.

The planets aligned for Ireland years ago. We gained access to the European market, while also having the benefit of exploiting hundreds of years worth of tax treaties to essentially act like a tax haven while being in the EU (we were the cute hoors).

Of course the EU were never going to allow this situation to continue indefinitely.. softly, softly. They bought our politicians, loaded us up with cheap money, and when it's time to collect debts they strip a little bit more from us. They called Ireland (along with the other "basket case" states - some actually the food baskets of Europe) the "PIIGS", to be penned in and burned if we didn't do as we were told.

We thought it was just our taxation policy they wanted to control.. the immigration thing came from no-where. The negative interest rates, but high borrowing costs. We aren't going to be able to afford our national security bill in a few years, let alone our social welfare bill. The EU seem to want a European army. This is an issue of national sovereignty. I think the UK see this. We're happy to ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

George W. thick as mud.
    Trump telling the squad to go back where they came from followed up by lies
    He said go back to the countries you came from, fix the government there and then come back to America and show us how it is done. Which is very different and race was never mentioned so not a racist tweet in this situation.
    Talking about grabbing women etc. Gent.
    said in private and he was talking about some women consenting to letting one grab them in you know where. Crud yes but not the violent act one would imagine when hearing it being reported.

Boris on Burkas: "I would go further and say that it is absolutely ridiculous that people should choose to go around looking like letter boxes."
    Boris is correct here and the Burka needs to be banned.
    Described gay men as "tank-topped bumboys."
    Dont know this one so will leave it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Then why haven't they? Could have done it years ago at this point.

• Advertisement

Dont know this one so will leave it alone.

Here ya go: https://www.newsweek.com/tank-topped-bumboys-new-uk-pm-boris-johnsons-most-outrageous-quotes-1450185
    In a 1998 Telegraph column about Peter Mandelson's resignation from the Labour government, Johnson said the announcement would lead to the blubbing of "tank-topped bumboys" in "the Ministry of Sound" nightclub, and "the soft-lit Soho drinking clubs frequented by Mandy and his pals."

It's basically just Boris being verbose and controversial and hilarious.

Here is an article (well a transcript from Andrew Klavan) on how the Left have weaponised "Offence" that explains these OTT reactions and the reason people are digging out old quotes from Boris Johnson to paint him as racist or homophobic: https://www.dailywire.com/news/49425/klavan-left-uses-offense-silence-others-andrew-klavan

1) "Brussels'" first purpose in Brexit is to send a message, with expressions of regret and sadness of course, about what happens when you try to undermine a more powerful force. Just look at it like the public executions of old. A nation which has spent centuries doing the same should be able to relate.

2) I find it's usually Brexiteers/the most rightwing English who feign this "fear" about the fate of the Irish.

Sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Never heard Leo V called twinkletoes before. Why would he be given that nickname?

I prefer Varadkardashian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I think a lot are worried that it will be a success and Europe will implode.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Because we are stuck with the EU wether we like it or not. Lots of people here don’t like the whole EU thing but we have absolutely no choice.
    UK were given a choice they voted out, and for good or for bad that’s what’s happening.
    It’s like when a bunch of people are working in a miserable but secure safe job for years and years and eventually one of them decides to leave to go and work at something a bit dodgy.
    The rest all get a bit bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

inaction is worse than action.

No
    No its not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

He said go back to the countries you came from, fix the government there and then come back to America and show us how it is done. Which is very different and race was never mentioned so not a racist tweet in this situation.

Yes, that's racist.

said in private and he was talking about some women consenting to letting one grab them in you know where. Crud yes but not the violent act one would imagine when hearing it being reported.

It shows the caliber of his person.
    Boris is correct here and the Burka needs to be banned.

This was a racist comment.

know this one so will leave it alone.

Indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i presume his efforts to deliver brexit will be stymied and slowed at every turn?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Because there hasn't been a single tangible benefit to Britain in the years since the vote passed, nor are there any tangible benefits on the horizon.
    i presume his efforts to deliver brexit will be stymied and slowed at every turn?

Exactly. He'll face the same challenges as Theresa May. How is he going to do any better? Because he has a different personality?

Advertisement