Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

new builds are interesting communitys

Options
  • 23-07-2019 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I don't know if this has happened before or if its a new freakonomic. New build estates across the country are extremely diverse.

Typically the state or a housing authority appear to be buying 30% to 40%, however vetting the people they give the houses too, some could be large family's, some african, european, settled travellers, local people.

Then due to the central banking rules, the other 60% of the estate's are either european's working 100 hours a week, without quite getting to the stage of having children yet, or maybe Irish business owners or two working professionals with long commutes.

The authority houses tend to have 150 kids, the private side, maybe 20 kids. Home owners gone all day if they are private.

It's making very interesting community's and social dynamics.

Whats your thoughts on this? Are you in a new build how is the community managing such large amounts of kids?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭bigroad

This country is fu1cked as far as housing goes .
    The best advice I can give is get out and start a new life somewhere else.

There's an estate around the corner from me, and although it's still being built, a good portion of it is already done and has people living in it as the work goes on around them.

The estate has a mish-mash of social and private tenants. However, what I've noticed (and it is very noticeable!) is that the Council's houses are all just in one street. All in on top of each other. The houses are all cobble-lock driveways, except the social ones, which are tarmac.

Also, the estate is definitely under 4 years old. Still very new. I drove around it out of nosiness as I know someone living nearby and was waiting for them, so was killing time.

The 'social street' was the only street that had rubbish noticeable, had every inch of footpath destroyed in chalk, and also had (much as it nearly brings a tear to my eye to say it) graffiti. Also had, as mentioned in the OP, hordes of kids out in the street, with a handful of parents in their pyjamas and robes out smoking, presumably to keep an eye on the kids.

The rest of the estate is grand. Clean, well kept.

I live in, and grew up in, a council housing estate. A relatively rough one, at that. Most of my neighbours are genuinely decent people just trying to get on with their lives, and keep to themselves. I've a lot of time for them.

However, the new estate around the corner completely and totally re-enforces the stereotype of council tenants, and makes it completely understandable why no one wants to be near them.

bigroad wrote: »
    This country is fu1cked as far as housing goes .
    The best advice I can give is get out and start a new life somewhere else.

Detached house in the assh0le of nowhere. It's the only way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Detached house in the assh0le of nowhere. It's the only way.

Chances of getting planning dwindling year on year and likely to end completely quite soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

OP, I think your post is full of falsehoods and was designed to instigate anger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

dubrov wrote: »
    OP, I think your post is full of falsehoods and was designed to instigate anger

He's just angry he made a couple of bad decisions.
    He's a victim of the system. It's everyone else's fault he isn't where he wants to be in life. Not his own. Never his own.

Often you'll find with those persons, that while they pat themselves on the back for what they do have, they are the exact person who would actually be way worse off if it wasn't for the benefits this state accrued for them, and they don't even know it. That's the beauty of Ireland.

Not understanding basic economics or sociology. They believe the only difference between them and a guy in the backarse of Timbuktu is that guy needs to pull up his socks, just like their good selves. And they go off into the sunset patting themselves on the back that they are where they are all because of their own effort.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

myshirt wrote: »
    He's just angry he made a couple of bad decisions.
    He's a victim of the system. It's everyone else's fault he isn't where he wants to be in life. Not his own. Never his own.

Often you'll find with those persons, that while they pat themselves on the back for what they do have, they are the exact person who would actually be way worse off if it wasn't for the benefits this state accrued for them, and they don't even know it. That's the beauty of Ireland.

Not understanding basic economics or sociology. They believe the only difference between them and a guy in the backarse of Timbuktu is that guy needs to pull up his socks, just like their good selves. And they go off into the sunset patting themselves on the back that they are where they are all because of their own effort.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Its more using ranting on boards as a coping mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

There's an estate around the corner from me, and although it's still being built, a good portion of it is already done and has people living in it as the work goes on around them.

The estate has a mish-mash of social and private tenants. However, what I've noticed (and it is very noticeable!) is that the Council's houses are all just in one street. All in on top of each other. The houses are all cobble-lock driveways, except the social ones, which are tarmac.

Also, the estate is definitely under 4 years old. Still very new. I drove around it out of nosiness as I know someone living nearby and was waiting for them, so was killing time.

The 'social street' was the only street that had rubbish noticeable, had every inch of footpath destroyed in chalk, and also had (much as it nearly brings a tear to my eye to say it) graffiti. Also had, as mentioned in the OP, hordes of kids out in the street, with a handful of parents in their pyjamas and robes out smoking, presumably to keep an eye on the kids.

The rest of the estate is grand. Clean, well kept.

I live in, and grew up in, a council housing estate. A relatively rough one, at that. Most of my neighbours are genuinely decent people just trying to get on with their lives, and keep to themselves. I've a lot of time for them.

However, the new estate around the corner completely and totally re-enforces the stereotype of council tenants, and makes it completely understandable why no one wants to be near them.

Sadly its the constant reality. Get something for free and you'll never take care of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Oh no, the dreaded phenomenon of chalk on the pavements. This social scourge of hopscotch will surely devastate the resale values of your new build

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Yeah it’s never happened before where areas of social housing has turned into kips.

Always ends up been nice estates and areas.

Let’s keep doing it.

• Advertisement

lola85 wrote: »
    Yeah it’s never happened before where areas of social housing has turned into kips.

Always ends up been nice estates and areas.

Let’s keep doing it.

Sure they only tore down the ballymun flats to stop the occupiers selling them for 1.5 million a piece. Dalkey of the north as its now known.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Oh no, the dreaded phenomenon of chalk on the pavements. This social scourge of hopscotch will surely devastate the resale values of your new build

Interesting that you took one piece out of a longer contextual piece...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Uriel. wrote: »
    Interesting that you took one piece out of a longer contextual piece...

It was the only piece I found funny

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

Sure they only tore down the ballymun flats to stop the occupiers selling them for 1.5 million a piece. Dalkey of the north as its now known.

They should have left the flats, rubbish everywhere now, houses on top of each other(I know), when the flats were there the rubbish collection was built into the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

They should have left the flats, rubbish everywhere now, houses on top of each other(I know), when the flats were there the rubbish collection was built into the rent.

The flats were grand, just ill-maintained. Demolishing them was probably the worst thing for Ballymun, especially when you see the absolute state of the apartments they built in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

L1011 wrote: »
    Chances of getting planning dwindling year on year and likely to end completely quite soon.

Unless you are from the area or have an attachment to it.
    We've tried to buy one and a right of way issue is looking like making it a non starter. There is always something in this country.
    You couldnt make a bigger balls of our housing market if you tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭arctictree

L1011 wrote: »

No evidence of that. In fact, last year the government ammended the NDP to include a locals needs clause.

arctictree wrote: »
    No evidence of that. In fact, last year the government ammended the NDP to include a locals needs clause.

Emphasis on “locals” and not “city folk desperate for a life of peace and tranquility”

Qrt wrote: »
    Emphasis on “locals” and not “city folk desperate for a life of peace and tranquility”

Recently came across a house that had to have the locals only clause lifted so they could sell it.
    That clause really needs looking at.

terrydel wrote: »
    Recently came across a house that had to have the locals only clause lifted so they could sell it.
    That clause really needs looking at.

Ive never heard of any state department stopping somebody from buying a house down the country because they’re not from the area.

Building? Yes. But you don’t need planning permission to buy a house.

• Advertisement

Ive never heard of any state department stopping somebody from buying a house down the country because they’re not from the area.

Building? Yes. But you don’t need planning permission to buy a house.

Well maybe nobody in the area or outside it was interested for over a year, but I highly doubt it.

not even necissarily city folk, i grew up in a housing estate in kildare and wouldnt qualify for a site within 5km of where I was born due to my parents not living in a 'rural' house.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

very true, social housing is needed.

the same homes are going for 280k, to people with approx 80k earnings, and 35k downpayments when you include stamp duty

so typically 2 people working full time, next to people with typically 2 to 4 children, its making for interesting community's , very diverse and mixed.

In one kildare estate I spoke to lots of forever homeowners, people who arrived with their wives and 3 children from the mosney centre. Some Irish family home owners, in social housing father working, some african family's although only 2 african family's between 100 houses, lots couple of settled traveller family's, and finally eastern european family's who have gotten very posh in the last decade of working, with decent expendable income to furnishing their housing yet the central bank rules where so tight they couldnt get a mortgage.

The only negative thing i saw was the irish single mums didnt get any money to furnish their new housing, so after a year in the houses they still have no floors downstairs, or carpets upstairs. Being on a fixed income of 200 odd a week its hard to find 8 to 12k to get the house fitted with the basics, floors, washing machines, fridges, beds, sofas , tables etc..

The wealth gap between the groups below is massive with the Irish mums really being the worse off.
    1. private home owners, (typically 2 working 100 hours between them weekly plus commute)
    2. European couples not in private homes, who know how to work hard
    3. Single Irish Mums
    4. Refugee's
    5. 2nd Generation African's,

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Busterie

I find the comment about furnishing for single mothers hard to believe. No house like that would be approved for HAP or a private rental basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Busterie wrote: »
    I find the comment about furnishing for single mothers hard to believe. No house like that would be approved for HAP or a private rental basis.
    HAP is when the person rents from a landlord.

Social housing is when the person gets the house from the Council.

So I'm guessing it's the latter, and that the money given to them to buy things was spent on other things?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

Cheapest floors carpets are about 4k to do a full house

Whites like fridges washing machines, then cookers

Sofas, tables

None come with Tuath Housing, I think if you look around hard 1000 euro can be claimed from somewhere

The fact is the Irish welfare people need a lot to fit out the homes and they don't get it off the council.

Remarkably the money family I spoke to had all the fittings inlcuded

The local council inspect all new rentals reported to RTB

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Busterie wrote: »
    The local council inspect all new rentals reported to RTB
    Within what? 9 months?

Probably less than that

• Advertisement
Advertisement