Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the desire to own your own home justified !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

GreeBo wrote: »
    Cost of buying a house is only relevant if you are a landlord who is buying new property, how many landlords are buying new property? Its certainly not all of them yet all the rents have increased.

My expectation is that rent will cover the costs of maintaining the property and *some* of the mortgage costs, I certainly wouldnt be buying a property to let expecting that rent will cover all this and mortgage as I think thats madness. Sure, some years it might, but I'd expect the vast majority of them it wouldnt and would be budgeting to pay probably 50% of the mortgage myself.

Its an investment in an asset whilst also providing a service that you get paid for (rent).

Your expectations seem to be that someone is going to buy a property for you, pay your mortgage, pay you to service the property and pay any incidental costs and at the end, hand over the property to you.

Does that really seem realistic to you?

Cost of the property is always taken into account at all times during the life time of the property, as another poster pointed out, it is all about yeild. Even if in a recession, if the yield is poor and you would make a loss if you sold. If you have potential to make greater gains elsewhere, you need to way this up.

-Well ll still need to to stump up a minimum of 30pc to get a mortgage. If say thats a 2/3bed for circa 350k. That is over 100k up front that the ll needs to pay.
    -The ll also has a massive risk in a heavily concentrated asset class.Its hard to quantify this but it does come at a price for the tenant.
    -The ll also has work involved in this be it managing the property, doing their taxes, dealing with delinquent tenants etc.

-For all of the above reasons, yes the tenant should pay for the remainder of the balance on the mortgage + repairs.

If it isnt worth the ll time or hassle, ll will just simply not invest and or leave which would further constrain the market > This is what is happening right now in our market. As another poster pointed out, in a natural stable market, if ll are receiving massive gains, more would simply enter the market which would cause the rental price to naturally decrease and stabilise. I wonder why this isnt happening in Ireland.

"currently worth" has nothing to do with yield though...

Yield is based on whats coming in vs how much has been spent on the property.

If you and I each buy a property for 100K and have a rental income of say 10K year, its irrelevant from a yield point of view if my property is now worth 200K but yours is worth 50K.

It is all about yield and how efficient you are at investing your money. Investing isnt always stagnant. If you want to succeed, you need to adapt and adjust your investment strategy depending on the situation. If you have a current yield on property of 10pc. of your 100k investment and then in 10 years time, this drops to only 2pc at current value, yet you could yield 15pc in another investment class, it would be a no brainer to change. This is a simple example and there are several other factors that determine your choice.

But again, that only comes into it if you are thinking about buying more property to let *now*.
    The current value of your existing portfolio has no relevance to your yields.

You dont compare your yield to when you originally bought the place. You compare your yield to what money you have tied up in the property at current market rate vs other investment opportunities at this moment in time.

Your expectations seem to be that someone is going to buy a property for you, pay your mortgage, pay you to service the property and pay any incidental costs and at the end, hand over the property to you.

Does that really seem realistic to you?

Yes I would say that this is not only an expectation but one of the fundamentals of buying investment property and operating a rental business.

At an absolute minimum (excluding the deposit) the rent should be covering 100% of the mortgage and all expenses (taking tax relief into account). To put it in simple terms the aim should be that LL never has to use any money from other sources in the day to day running of the rental business (renovations etc would be a different thing etc)

An occasional poster like yourself on here are the only people I have ever seen even suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

old_house wrote: »
    The key concept here is opportunity cost. If some other asset of equal value could achieve a higher return then you are effectively losing money by sticking to what you already have. Getting out of rental property and reinvesting into other asset classes while the resale value is high might be a smart decision for some landlords.

Indeed it might, but that has nothing to do with the point the other poster made which was that current asset value was somehow related to the yields available on the property.

• Advertisement

Fol20 wrote: »
    Cost of the property is always taken into account at all times during the life time of the property, as another poster pointed out, it is all about yeild. Even if in a recession, if the yield is poor and you would make a loss if you sold. If you have potential to make greater gains elsewhere, you need to way this up.

-Well ll still need to to stump up a minimum of 30pc to get a mortgage. If say thats a 2/3bed for circa 350k. That is over 100k up front that the ll needs to pay.
    -The ll also has a massive risk in a heavily concentrated asset class.Its hard to quantify this but it does come at a price for the tenant.
    -The ll also has work involved in this be it managing the property, doing their taxes, dealing with delinquent tenants etc.

-For all of the above reasons, yes the tenant should pay for the remainder of the balance on the mortgage + repairs.

If it isnt worth the ll time or hassle, ll will just simply not invest and or leave which would further constrain the market > This is what is happening right now in our market. As another poster pointed out, in a natural stable market, if ll are receiving massive gains, more would simply enter the market which would cause the rental price to naturally decrease and stabilise. I wonder why this isnt happening in Ireland.

Of course *cost* of the property is taken into account for yield, but not the current value of the property which is what was posted earlier.

You dont compare your yield to when you originally bought the place. You compare your yield to what money you have tied up in the property at current market rate vs other investment opportunities at this moment in time.

Now you are talking about comparing yields, which again is not what was posted earlier.

Yes I would say that this is not only an expectation but one of the fundamentals of buying investment property and operating a rental business.

At an absolute minimum (excluding the deposit) the rent should be covering 100% of the mortgage and all expenses (taking tax relief into account). To put it in simple terms the aim should be that LL never has to use any money from other sources in the day to day running of the rental business (renovations etc would be a different thing etc)

An occasional poster like yourself on here are the only people I have ever seen even suggest otherwise.

So you expect that an investor, doesn't have to pay *any* money for the property over its lifetime and the rental income will cover 100%?
    i.e. all properties are free for all landlords?:confused:

Remind me why everyone isnt a landlord?

It is all about yield and how efficient you are at investing your money. Investing isnt always stagnant. If you want to succeed, you need to adapt and adjust your investment strategy depending on the situation. If you have a current yield on property of 10pc. of your 100k investment and then in 10 years time, this drops to only 2pc at current value, yet you could yield 15pc in another investment class, it would be a no brainer to change. This is a simple example and there are several other factors that determine your choice.

Again I dont disagree with this, its investment 101, but the fact is that yield is calculated on invested money and return, not current value of the property.

I dont know why we are going around in circles with this and why you keep changing the goal posts, its a basic fact.

So you expect that an investor, doesn't have to pay *any* money for the property over its lifetime and the rental income will cover 100%?

Most people cant afford to invest a large lump sum of circa 100k up front that they will never see again for 25/30 years.

• Advertisement

It doesn’t always happen, I didn’t say it does but it should be the expectation and if a person is entering the game this should be their minimum aim. Why else would you do it if you are forking our each month to cover costs.

A rental property needs to be paying for itself to make it a viable investment, how anyone thinks this shouldnt be the case is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It doesn’t always happen, I didn’t say it does but it should be the expectation and if a person is entering the game this should be their minimum aim. Why else would you do it if you are forking our each month to cover costs.

A rental property needs to be paying for itself to make it a viable investment, how anyone thinks this shouldnt be the case is beyond me.

Why should it be? That would be to expect that the rental market isn’t cyclical and that’s not really realistic.

Unless you’re suggesting that there should be minimum rent controls? If you don’t agree with rent caps on how high rents should go, then you can’t really agree to them controlling low rents can dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

So you want our entire society to become more dependent on social aid while it should be going the other way. Where will the government get all of this extra expenses? It will come from people in the middle or above who are already being taxed enough as it is.

The money required for landlords can't really be afforded any other way.

Yes you can give tenants tax relief - but that's still cost.

Landlords need tax relief but that still doesn't fix legacy issues arising from the crash and Celtic tiger era mortgage repayments.

I think that social housing eligibility needs to go up to higher incomes then it does today.

Unless someone does for housing what Michael O Leary did for aviation.

Old diesel wrote: »
    The money required for landlords can't really be afforded any other way.

Yes you can give tenants tax relief - but that's still cost.

Landlords need tax relief but that still doesn't fix legacy issues arising from the crash and Celtic tiger era mortgage repayments.

I think that social housing eligibility needs to go up to higher incomes then it does today.

Unless someone does for housing what Michael O Leary did for aviation.

Social housing eligibility is already far too high imo. Working people on decent money should not be availing of social housing they should house themselves like the rest of us have to (while also subsidizing their housing). They just have to live where they can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Social housing eligibility is already far too high imo. Working people on decent money should not be availing of social housing they should house themselves like the rest of us have to (while also subsidizing their housing). They just have to live where they can afford.

The live where you can afford thing risks someone working in Cork having to live in Kilgarvan*.

People also can't house themselves in houses that don't exist for them. The economy also benefits if someone is renting for 1100 instead of 2 k - extra money to spend in the economy, less pressure on wages and what not.

If a landlord is entitled to make a profit - then perhaps we might consider that working people should be able to access housing solutions at a price they can afford.

Even if that requires state supports.

Part of state support might be that people like Hugh Brennan are allowed to develop housing at 200 k or thereabouts a unit for co op housing.

Need fit for purpose housing policy going forward.

*Exaggerated example perhaps but going cheap means moving out - and rents in nearby towns are driven up and you move further away to get affordable housing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you want social housing to be viable and not solely a tax sink it has to be available to a wider base

Additionally, in your weird world of rents permanently being more (significantly so, based on recent posts) than mortgages and reduced social housing provision there's a sizable group in the middle left unable to afford anything

Do you want to pay city centre services and essential supports staff the same wages as tech and bank workers? As thats what's required with living where your wages can support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Old diesel wrote: »
    The live where you can afford thing risks someone working in Cork having to live in Kilgarvan*.

People also can't house themselves in houses that don't exist for them. The economy also benefits if someone is renting for 1100 instead of 2 k - extra money to spend in the economy, less pressure on wages and what not.

If a landlord is entitled to make a profit - then perhaps we might consider that working people should be able to access housing solutions at a price they can afford.

Even if that requires state supports.

Part of state support might be that people like Hugh Brennan are allowed to develop housing at 200 k or thereabouts a unit for co op housing.

Need fit for purpose housing policy going forward.

*Exaggerated example perhaps but going cheap means moving out - and rents in nearby towns are driven up and you move further away to get affordable housing.

Exactly, the rent is driven by demand, and the more the state subsidises rent the higher rents will go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Yes

True, and that is why some landlords are selling their properties before it becomes a tenants markets.

Fine by me. Freeing up houses!

So where will all the renters live as it’s not being bought by other investors.

• Advertisement

So where will all the renters live as it’s not being bought by other investors.

If more people are buying houses to live in themselves, that’s still going to help reduce the numbers of people looking to rent as those family home buyers are freeing up rental accommodation and not looking for another rental. I don’t know if overall the rental stock available increases in that equation but more people being able to buy their own home if they want to is a good thing in my view. Not feeling massively sorry for the buy-to-let landlord who didn’t make as much as he wanted in that equation, gotta say.

Freeing up houses how?
    All it does at best is move renters somewhere else

Having someone pay for say 50% of your property over the life of the mortgage should be enough of a return surely?
    And then once the mortgage is gone its pretty much a licence to print money.
    You just want your license on day 1.

Btw most investments have risk... where is the risk if all your outgoings are covered and more by rent?

Freeing up houses how?

I have always found renters to be more efficient with space and generally house share with all of the bedrooms in use while owners may have one or two rooms free depending on their situation.

Having someone pay for say 50% of your property over the life of the mortgage should be enough of a return surely?
    And then once the mortgage is gone its pretty much a licence to print money.
    You just want your license on day 1.

Btw most investments have risk... where is the risk if all your outgoings are covered and more by rent?

-BTL have to put up 30pc up front so are we arguing about the other 20pc? > I would still argue that in any business people invest money in, they do expect to earn a profit and not half of the gross expenses. Why would anyone open a takeaway, consultancy firm if they dont see profit or at least balance out from a cashflow point of view.
    -Not really, with the taxation in ireland, sometimes its better to use loans to your advantage. I understand what your saying though.
    -The risk here is that you have a large sum of money tied up in a non diversified, highly concentrated asset that is also illiquid. When it goes well, it really goes well, when it goes bad, it can go very bad for you. Due to the nature of this asset, when it becomes bad . for you similar to last recession, some people can loose the asset, affect their credit rating, cause undue stress dealing with tenants.
    -I do believe its a safer traditional asset class compared to others but there is still risks.
    -If you good at budgeting, you should build up a war chest in the good times to struggle through the bad times, its hard to have this type of discipline and many dont and some may seriously struggle for 5-10 years depending on their situation in last recession, - i personally know people that changed completely from all the stress this caused them.

Freeing up houses how?

Free them up for people to buy, obvs. And then those buyers are no longer renters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭The Student

Free them up for people to buy, obvs. And then those buyers are no longer renters.

Simple example

The rental sector is made up of three houses in total. Each of these are currently rented out with four adults in each. You have a couple currently living in one of these house with another couple.

One of these couples buys one of these three houses. So now you have the same three houses housing ten adults instead of twelve adults.

Where do the two adults sleep now ((ie the twelve (3 x 4) is now ten (2 x 4) + (1 x2))

I dont think you've thought this through!

Where did the previous tenants end up in your example?:confused:

Yes it is better for buyers as they are looking for their own house. What happens to the renters though?

If this continues the supply of available rentals will continue to decrease. In your description, it looks like the amount of renters is also decreasing but this is not the case. We have an inward flow of migrants coupled with new renters just out of college that still need a place to RENT with the stock decreasing yearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Agreed supply side is a major issue and is propping up rental rates.

Personally I wouldnt be expecting a surplus although we do have one right now. I would expect the rent to cover the payments however. When I bought during the recession due to property prices being much less, rents also covered the mortgage back then also. My analogy for other items people can rent is the same for houses imo.

The analogy doesn't really work though. Other items people can rent e.g. cars are short lived depreciating assets. Property is an intergenerational appreciating (apart from the occasional bubble) asset.

Expecting the same rules to apply to something whose value rapidly depreciates to zero and something whose longterm value (and ability to provide an ongoing income stream) increases at a rate above inflation is unrealistic.

Advertisement