Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Veccy awesomeness under me nose!

• 21-07-2019 11:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So, I got a new Veccy flash cart earlier this year and have, to my shame, played very little of it.
    But I was mooching about online and found an article/review of Protector/YASI for the system.
    https://vectrex.fandom.com/wiki/Protector/Y*A*S*I

Realising I probably have them on said cart I just had a look...

Yup, it's there and, my gods, but it's amazing!

Protector is a ridiculously good Defender clone, though it uses the Minestorm ship as your craft, which is weird.

But the other game, YASI, shouldn't exist at all.
    Yet Another Space Invaders it's a clone of, well, Space Invaders.
    But the programmer has coaxed the Veccy to do raster graphics instead of vectors, and the results are astounding!

Not sure the clip does it justice.
    It feels arcade perfect, using the buttons only.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,366 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Protector reason alone to own a Veccy, it's brilliant!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, I thought that Rockaroids was the best the system could provide, but these two games are just brilliant.
    I'm eagerly awaiting Wireout any day now, which will not only be a cool new game for the Vectrex but also give me my first overlay!

I must watch out for a YASI specific overlay as well, I think they are out there.

Stramash Zone is the other game that I must own, it's never been dumped, afaik, and it came with an overlay providing a near perfect Battlezone clone.
    Only problem there is I only own one controller for the Vectrex!

Must buy one of the adaptors, let me use one of the myriad of other controllers lying around these parts!

Advertisement