Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for a mature wisteria

Options
  • 19-07-2019 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I could buy a wisteria purple or white?

I have one and it's been planted for 5 years and still only 3 foot, it's been fed and watered. It's is a 120 litre pot

So I'm Looking to get a mature one where its grown enough and will take a year or so settle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

griffinlee wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could buy a wisteria purple or white?

I have one and it's been planted for 5 years and still only 3 foot, it's been fed and watered. It's is a 120 litre pot

So I'm Looking to get a mature one where its grown enough and will take a year or so settle

Go to a garden centre and order one, just ask for a mature one, they should have them available from €70ish upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In theory you can grow wisteria in a pot. In practice I have never found growing that kind of plant (large, vigorous roots) in a container very successful. Can you plant it in the garden? Even if you buy a mature one it could easily not get any bigger than when you buy it if you leave it in a pot.

Wisteria are slow to get going and even slower to flower - it used be said that they would not flower for 7 years; I don't know if this is true but it took about that long for my wisteria to get going. It will stand a bit of shade but does like sunshine, so that is another consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

looksee wrote: »
    In theory you can grow wisteria in a pot. In practice I have never found growing that kind of plant (large, vigorous roots) in a container very successful. Can you plant it in the garden? Even if you buy a mature one it could easily not get any bigger than when you buy it if you leave it in a pot.

Wisteria are slow to get going and even slower to flower - it used be said that they would not flower for 7 years; I don't know if this is true but it took about that long for my wisteria to get going. It will stand a bit of shade but does like sunshine, so that is another consideration.

We have success growing in pots, you just have to feed them well, our is flowering twice again this year.

Also don’t forget that they prefer west facing aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

We have the current one in sunshine and it's being well fed, but I'd like something mature, we've been waiting so long for it! We will get two or three flowers from it but it's growth is not as quick as I thought.
    In terms of the pot, it's a huge pot, 3 foot in high so plenty of space for roots..

We want it to grow around the front porch of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I was given two wisterias as a wedding present many years ago. I had the perfect spot for one and dithered over the second so it was left longer in its pot. In the end I put it alongside the first one. The first took off and ramped up over wall to house, hard to keep in check and a lovely delicate pink/white flower.

The second one was the more common purple one and supposed to be vigorous too. But it did nothing for years, little growth and no flowers til year 7. Eventually I found out problem was probably it was pot bound. It has a long tap root that can curl around in a pot. I should have teased it out and put it straight when planting out. The roots of the main wisteria run over 20 feet as had an incident when nearly killed it by spilling a bottle of neat liquid feet on same root.

I wonder if the nurseries that sell mature wisteria in pots treat the main root somehow to make it happier to stay in a pot?

• Advertisement
Advertisement