Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Manholes are gender neutral now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

50HX wrote: »
    Can't say ballcock either:D

Tie the thingy ma jiggy up there....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Erasing gender is insane.

Is that what it is? And there was me thinking I'm still a bloke while all this is going on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted Johnson

Is that what it is? And there was me thinking I'm still a bloke while all this is going on.

Whats so terrible about saying 'pregnant woman' why does it have to be changed to 'pregnant employee'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Just another day in clown world. Lets have a parade of 10 year old drag queens to celebrate the progress.

Honk honk!

It’s not a pride parade unless the 10 year old is waving a huge dildo around.

• Advertisement

Whats so terrible about saying 'pregnant woman' why does it have to be changed to 'pregnant employee'?

Neither bothers me. I'm not married to the language as I learned it.

What's so terrible about saying pregnant employee instead of pregnant woman?

Its wrong to erase women so as not to offend transexuals.

Kinda odd how you claim not to care and yet every post of yours is 'guys don't get angry over this, please!'

Why are they making woman a dirty word? You do know men can’t get pregnant? “Pregnant employee” is absolutely redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's formalising the "gender is a social construct" agenda which a very large proportion of people, whether a majority or a very significant minority, are ideologically opposed to and yet seem to be utterly powerless to even oppose on an ideological or political level without being harassed and punished as a result.

Without a woman you won't have a baby and without a man you won't have a baby so why pander to all the rubbish going on.

• Advertisement

Without a woman you won't have a baby and without a man you won't have a baby so why pander to all the rubbish going on.

99.9% of the public agree with you but it’s the incrediblely loud .1% and the media that pander to them that makes this newsworthy. I will not change my speech to cater for a minority of people who’s only intent is to make themselves feel important. They can all **** off.

99.9% of the public agree with you but it’s the incrediblely loud .1% and the media that pander to them that makes this newsworthy. I will not change my speech to cater for a minority of people who’s only intent is to make themselves feel important. They can all **** off.

Boom..... This is it.....

Oh my what are we going to have to put up with in 5 years never mind 20

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭garyscargo

More PC bollocks. Who’s actually offended by the term manhole, nobody, that’s who.

Bullshít.

I take exception to your use of the term bullshít. Cowshít would avoid the toxic masculinity inherent in that misogynistic word, and instead harness the inner goddess power (or something) of the (much better) feminine. Or, indeed, one could use bovineshít if one chooses to dissipate gender entirely.

But then again, said bovine may have species identity issues, and instead identify as a pig or something. Or sow, of course (my bad with that toxic masculinity again in reaching for (yuck!) male pig before (yea!) female sow; mea culpa). Or porcine as a catch all once again to sidestep that sticky gender issue.  But not just porcine, of course, but possibly feline, canine, equine, etc. So perhaps the term xineshít is best to describe excrement emanating from a gender and species fluid (if biological) bovine.

Anyway, enough xineshít from me.

:)

Its wrong to erase women so as not to offend transexuals.

Kinda odd how you claim not to care and yet every post of yours is 'guys don't get angry over this, please!'

Erasing women? Crikey and there was me thinking my wife was still a womam while all this was going on. Hold on a sec and I'll check.... You'll be surprised to hear my Mrs is still a woman. At what point should I expect her gender to be erased?

garyscargo wrote: »
    I take exception to your use of the term bullshít. Cowshít would avoid the toxic masculinity inherent in that misogynistic word, and instead harness the inner goddess power (or something) of the (much better) feminine. Or, indeed, one could use bovineshít if one chooses to dissipate gender entirely.

But then again, said bovine may have species identity issues, and instead identify as a pig or something. Or sow, of course (my bad with that toxic masculinity again in reaching for (yuck!) male pig before (yea!) female sow; mea culpa). Or porcine as a catch all once again to sidestep that sticky gender issue.  But not just porcine, of course, but possibly feline, canine, equine, etc. So perhaps the term xineshít is best to describe excrement emanating from a gender and species fluid (if biological) bovine.

Anyway, enough xineshít from me.

:)

Sorry “Gary” I saw that you identified as a man and completely discarded your entire post.

Mansplaining at its finest. You were probably manspreading at the time too.
    Pig.

Erasing women? Crikey and there was me thinking my wife was still a womam while all this was going on. Hold on a sec and I'll check.... You'll be surprised to hear my Mrs is still a woman. At what point should I expect her gender to be erased?

I can totally check this out for you.... Just need your address oh wait boom I got the address off her already ;-)

So you would have no issue with being compelled to say 'pregnant employee' instead of 'pregnant woman'?

How does your wife feel about this? Hey maybe she has bigger balls than you...

It's formalising the "gender is a social construct" agenda which a very large proportion of people, whether a majority or a very significant minority, are ideologically opposed to and yet seem to be utterly powerless to even oppose on an ideological or political level without being harassed and punished as a result.

Surely the concept of holes in the ground having to be named after a gender, is a social construct?

I can't for the life of me see why an access hatch in the ground has to be named after a gender. Strange convention really, but the opposition to it is really Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

So you would have no issue with being compelled to say 'pregnant employee' instead of 'pregnant woman'?

So what, no compelling anywhere? Men have become pregnant and have had babies hence saying employee or person would be accurate.

How does your wife feel about this? Hey maybe she has bigger balls than you...

Ive no idea what she thinks about it.

Will she get a set of balls due to the erasure of gender? Will you sprout a vagina? Sounds serious alright.

• Advertisement

Surely the concept of holes in the ground having to be named after a gender, is a social construct?

I can't for the life of me see why an access hatch in the ground has to be named after a gender. Strange convention really, but the opposition to it is really Interesting.

No the opposition is to state compelling you to use pc language.

Since I am in a benign mood today, I will assume you are deliberately misinterpreting this thread and not just being thick.

Suppose it had something to do with men being the only sex that went down there....

Obviously now things have changed but taking the name away is silly to be honest it's not like they're saying no woman allowed.

klaaaz wrote: »
    So what, no compelling anywhere? Men have become pregnant and have had babies hence saying employee or person would be accurate.

Haha no, men have never been pregnant.

Why force people to use pc language? Doesn't sound very liberal to me.

Ive no idea what she thinks about it.

Will she get a set of balls due to the erasure of gender? Will you sprout a vagina? Sounds serious alright.

So you'd have no issue with being compelled to say 'pregnant employee'? Why force people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

I'll go to my grave calling a man hole what it is and that's a MAN HOLE....

You could call your grave a man hole!

No the opposition is to state compelling you to use pc language.

Since I am in a benign mood today, I will assume you are deliberately misinterpreting this thread and not just being thick.

Oh gowd let's all be thankful for your benign mood. Long may it last, please God.

But you will surely accept that the convention of naming an access hatch with a gender is a strange one to begin with. Were they always called manholes or are you only interested in maintaining the current name?

Suppose it had something to do with men being the only sex that went down there....

Obviously now things have changed but taking the name away is silly to be honest it's not like they're saying no woman allowed.

Ah so if women go down them too, then it makes perfect sense to change the name, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Reax guy, I dont think it is MANdatory...

So you'd have no issue with being compelled to say 'pregnant employee'? Why force people?

Funny enough, I don't force anyone to say anything.

What are the proposed penalties for non Compliance in the example in the US?

• Advertisement

Oh gowd let's all be thankful for your benign mood. Long may it last, please God.

But you will surely accept that the convention of naming an access hatch with a gender is a strange one to begin with. Were they always called manholes or are you only interested in maintaining the current name?

I will continue to refer to them as manholes and you can refer to them how you like.

But I don't like the idea of the state compelling you to use certain language.

Advertisement