Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Manholes are gender neutral now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

"Would you like to join our collegiate Greek system residence?"

Proper pack of freaks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

What'll the cool kids say now when they're stoned?

Ahh Person ?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

It took a lot of human effort to come up with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

rireland wrote: »

Where is this all going to end?

I never understood this saying.. Maybe I'm lucky to not work in the manhole industry or related industries, but I really don't see whatever we decide to call it effecting my life in anyway at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

When they lift them up to rebrand them they'll have somewhere to throw all the shíte and drug paraphernalia off the sidewalks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

As such, common words such as "bondsman" will be replaced by the non-gendered term "bonds-person," "manhole" becomes "maintenance hole" and a "pregnant woman" will now be referred to as a "pregnant employee".

The municipal code will also replace the terms "sorority" and "fraternity" with "collegiate Greek system residence," while "manpower" will be changed to "human effort".

FFS.
    The ultimate one has to be "pregnant employees".

How many fooking pregnant men has anyone ever met ?
    Oh yeah a couple of people out of the entire human race of 7.5 odd billion claimed they were guys even though they didn't have a mickie, had ovaries and a baby in their wombs.

Loons, freaking loons.

The westerner world has more to worry about than this type of shyteology.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Do you enjoy being offended OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

More PC bollocks. Who’s actually offended by the term manhole, nobody, that’s who.

Bullshít.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It took a lot of human effort to come up with that.

hu-person, sheesh theysh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Conchir wrote: »

Being offended and pointing out loopy left wing idiocy aren't the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Wait til they figure out that Maintenance Hole is slang for anal.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

This is definitely one to rile up the broflakes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭rireland

Conchir wrote: »

Oh yeah, although I'm not as offended as someone calling a manhole a manhole!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Good to see that Berkeley, with long term homelessness double the national average, is at last tackling really important issues....

Conchir wrote:

People recognising that some people are so mentally retarded that now you aren't allowed use the term "pregnant woman" in certain places in case you offend someone is absolutely not the same as being offended.

It's absolutely hilarious. You are accusing someone of being easily offended about people getting offended.

Mr.Maroon wrote:
    This is definitely one to rile up the broflakes.

Is a broflake the woke way of referring to someone who doesn't buy into all this bull****? And if it is, is it meant to be an insult?

Are they making manholes gender neutral because of all the women you see working in drainage?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Good thing you don't live in *checks notes*...... Berkeley, California.

Still, let's not stop the outrage machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Wait til they figure out that Maintenance Hole is slang for anal.

Ooh, a Starfish Trooper, eh?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

jimgoose wrote: »
    Ooh, a Starfish Trooper, eh?? :D

Lost my heart to one of them once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

The weirdest thing is the non use of pronouns, what are you meant to say them instead of him or her, that's just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,551 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

What terms will they substitute for 'manager', 'management', 'many', 'heritage', 'history', 'mental', 'monuments', 'mention', 'gentle', 'pungent' etc.

What terms will they substitute for 'manager', 'management', 'many', 'heritage', 'history', 'mental', 'monuments', 'mention', 'gentle', 'pungent' etc.

I don't think any of those are in the same context. History for example is from the word for enquiry in Greek, Management comes from handle so nothing to do with men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

I don't think any of those are in the same context. History for example is from the word for enquiry in Greek, Management comes from handle so nothing to do with men.

Its only a matter of time before them snowflakes are offended by it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Feck that, it'll be like blasphemy soon to say what's touts innaprops.....

Man hole man hole, fireman, police man, binmam, man man man....

Ginger bread man, fisherman, Starman, man of the house...

Pronoun's what a load of sh one tea...

Anybody who subscribe to this bullsh one T should have a stake of Holly up their own hole boiled with their own snowflakes and give the rest of the knobs a drink of it and cop on...

Pronoun's do not exist and this Dojo "does it"

Bunch of liberals at it again setanta wept.....

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Its only a matter of time before them snowflakes are offended by it.
    I don't think anyone is offended by fireman or man hole, which makes this even stupider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I have never see a firewoman so for me it shall remain 'fireman'.

And men do not get pregnant, so I can't fathom who might be offended by the term 'pregnant woman' though it is a tautology.

Rodin wrote: »
    I have never see a firewoman so for me it shall remain 'fireman'.

And men do not get pregnant, so I can't fathom who might be offended by the term 'pregnant woman' though it is a tautology.

Woah, you're not up to speed on the new rules... men can get pregnant now and if you say otherwise you're wrong. Don't even think about quoting science because hurt feelings matter more than science now.

Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Why did they give them gendered terms in the first place?

Advertisement