Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gender Recognition Bill

• 17-07-2019 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, we're having a discussion here at work and something came up. I researched the GRB and I can't see anything specific to the issue raised.

Before we start, I want to say that I'm 100% behind anyones decision to do whatever they want regarding gender.

So, a colleague was asking is it illegal to call someone who has transitioned by their original gender. Now, I know it's not the right thing to do, I personally believe if someone wants to be a different gender that is their right and no one can take that from them, and this is why the GRB was drafted and enacted.

So i read the GRB, and I can't see anything regarding offences. I was a Garda for 9 years and i'm genuinely stumped on the reply to this. I can't even make an educated guess at it.

So I'm asking those who are (hopefully) more learned in this. Is it illegal, or just bad form? I'm not talking about someone inciting the masses, just a general conversation between 2 people, ie: if someone (Person A) transitioned from male to female and got their certificate confirming same, is it illegal for Person B to call Person A male?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Hey all, we're having a discussion here at work and something came up. I researched the GRB and I can't see anything specific to the issue raised.

Before we start, I want to say that I'm 100% behind anyones decision to do whatever they want regarding gender.

So, a colleague was asking is it illegal to call someone who has transitioned by their original gender. Now, I know it's not the right thing to do, I personally believe if someone wants to be a different gender that is their right and no one can take that from them, and this is why the GRB was drafted and enacted.

So i read the GRB, and I can't see anything regarding offences. I was a Garda for 9 years and i'm genuinely stumped on the reply to this. I can't even make an educated guess at it.

So I'm asking those who are (hopefully) more learned in this. Is it illegal, or just bad form? I'm not talking about someone inciting the masses, just a general conversation between 2 people, ie: if someone (Person A) transitioned from male to female and got their certificate confirming same, is it illegal for Person B to call Person A male?

Thanks in advance!

The offences only relate to the certificate, either failing to surrender it if it’s revoked, or providing false information. There is no offence for failing to call someone by their preferred pronoun or gender.

Our incitement to hatred legislation here dictates what you may not say in public, not what you must. You can’t be forced to speak a certain way.

Have a google of bill C16 in Canada for their take on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

The state may recognise someone's chosen gender, but the state can't dictate what people say or think. That's 1984 territory.
    So, a colleague was asking is it illegal to call someone who has transitioned by their original gender.

If laws were in operation then you've just committed a crime by saying "original gender"

"Transitioning is the process of changing one's gender presentation and/or sex characteristics to accord with one's internal sense of gender identity"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

So, on account of happening to have a GRC lying around, the wording on it states:
    The above named person is, from the date of issue, of the gender shown

The issue of this also allows an updated birth cert to be issued, which effectively says the person is male/female from their date of birth.

Now, with that in mind, I know of no actual part of the bill that compels someone to call someone he/she, but it is bad form to not go along with it, and repeated intentional going against it just makes you look like a hateful ass.

If you were looking at it from an employer to employee relationship though, it could be construed as bullying or discrimination which is a completely different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,017 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think robyntmorton has it.

It's already the case that, if for example you called a cis man "she", that's not in itself a crime. But if you did that because the man was (or you thought the man was) gay, and you wished to bully him or sneer at his sexual orientation or out him or whatever, you could very easily fall foul of employment equality/equal status legislation, and conceivably you could find yourself in trouble for public order offences of the incitement-to-hatred variety.

And I think something similar would be true here. Calling a trans woman "he", or deadnaming her, isn't intrinsically illegal, but depending on the intention and the context could contravene employment equality/equal status/public order legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Awesome, thank you for the insights. I had an idea that there's no specific legislation covering someone calling a transitioned person by their wanted gender, so thank ye all for clarifying further. I shall let me colleague know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'd call a transwoman and transman by their preffered pronouns if I ever met one.

branie2 wrote: »
    I'd call a transwoman and transman by their preffered pronouns if I ever met one.

I would in most cases, assuming the pronoun was "he" or "she". Not (singular) they, ze, zir, etc. Also, in the case of alter egos -Conchita, Panti Bliss- no chance are they getting a female pronoun from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,736 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If a non binary person wants me to refer to them as "they/them" or drag queen or king wants to be referred as she/her or he/him thats absolutely fine by me.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I would too, so long as it's clear, otherwise I would do every effort to not make an attempt at calling them one or the other. I walked through the Pride parade recently, and as a straight male I found it difficult to tell the difference, and I'm petrified of saying the wrong pronoun, so I just avoid anything like that in general these days. Others are slightly more, shall we say, stubborn, thus the reason for the thread. I no longer assume gender in general tbh.

antix80 wrote: »
    I would in most cases, assuming the pronoun was "he" or "she". Not (singular) they, ze, zir, etc. Also, in the case of alter egos -Conchita, Panti Bliss- no chance are they getting a female pronoun from me.
    Rory O'Neill is "he"; Panti Bliss is "she". It's not that difficult. Panti may be a performed character, but she's unquestionably a female performed character.

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Rory O'Neill is "he"; Panti Bliss is "she". It's not that difficult. Panti may be a performed character, but she's unquestionably a female performed character.

Yup, but if i met Rory dressed as Panti, he's still a he. I'd say "can you serve him" if he walked in to a shop regardless of how he was dressed, because I know he's a man (and identifies as such) who just happens to play a female character in somewhat of a parody.

But yes, if I'm talking about the a character I'll use the correct pronouns, e.g brendan o Carroll's character mrs brown is she/her

Just to be clear, O'Neill is not a trans woman, not even when he's being Panti. He's a man playing a woman.

If you have an encounter with Panti, and refer to her as "he", what you're doing there is not denying O'Neill's gender identity. You're refusing to accept or acknowledge O'Neill's performance, or to participate it or engage with it. Which may be a fairly graceless thing to do, and could, depending on your motive and on the context, be seen as homophobic. (This is the generic "you", not you, Antix80. I'm not calling Antix80 a homophobe.) But, I agree, it's not at all the same thing as refusing to acknowledge or accept the gender identity of a trans woman.

If he was in character, sure, in the same way you'd refer to a ventriloquist's puppet or a cartoon character by the gender of the character rather than the voice actor.

If he was in character, sure, in the same way you'd refer to a ventriloquist's puppet or a cartoon character by the gender of the character rather than the voice actor.
    Or a female character is a novel written by a male author.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,736 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yup, but if i met Rory dressed as Panti, he's still a he. I'd say "can you serve him" if he walked in to a shop regardless of how he was dressed, because I know he's a man (and identifies as such) who just happens to play a female character in somewhat of a parody.

But yes, if I'm talking about the a character I'll use the correct pronouns, e.g brendan o Carroll's character mrs brown is she/her

I dont see any difference between Panti and Mrs Brown!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement