Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Nes game Micro Mages

Options
  • 17-07-2019 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭

This trailer came out las year but I am only seeing it now, New 4 player Nes game, looks amazing for the Nes and the guys who made it really understood the limitations of the console and how to push it. It is only 11 dollars so I think I will pick it up. Anyone try it yet?

and here is how they made it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The video on how they made it is great. Shows how much you can do when you work within limitations rather than the totally wasteful way videogames are made today (and due to complexity they kind of need to be to create anything in a timely manner).

The fact they have a 4 player game on a tiny rom size of 40 kb (same as the first SMB game I believe) is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Yeah, nowadays you can have games that are 50GB in size which is nuts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pixel art games that are a few GB in size baffle me :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The physical cart would be a very nice buy...
    I don't have a Famicom/Nes flashcard so it would be the best way to play it, though a bit expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Most great creations come from limitations.

When you have certain restrictions they lead to creativity and new ways to solve problems. I'm a big fan of that kind of stuff.

Definitely want to pick this up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've ordered the physical NES cart, feck it!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭soiaf

I ordered the game on cart as well, look forward to playing it.
    As someone who programs on retro systems too (see http://games.megacatstudios.com/draiocht/ for my latest game Draiocht) I can really appreciate the effort involved in squeezing every little bit in.

Getting 4-player running is quite the achievement, I spent a lot of time trying to make 2-player in my game as responsive as possible, it was not easy!

I've started looking into programming on the Genesis (Megadrive) using C. It's very interesting as of course it is very limited relative to modern systems, but C on the Genesis is so much easier to work with than 6502 assembly on the NES :)

Advertisement