Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nct

• 09-07-2019 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Quick question anyone have an experience similar to this with nct.

So basically I presented car for nct and it failed on light alignment and a registration lamp that wasn’t work and worn brake pads. So I had to the work done but the day of the retest I got a flat tyre and didn’t make the appointment. So I just rebooked a full test as it was now outside the 28 day retest period.

So today I presented the car for another full test only to be given a fail for a list of completely different reasons to the problems I got fixed from the initial test including something to do with the exhaust emissions which it fully passed on the first occasion less than six weeks ago. I explained to the nct tester that I had had the car fully tested less than six weeks ago with none of these issues showing up and he just laughed and said well it was in for a full test not a retest and wouldn’t even look at the previous fail sheet. The exhaust and all the other issues listed are completely the same as they were at the initial test and there has been no change in how anything is working. I seriously don’t think that many problems could have arisen in the space of six weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In 6 weeks anything could happen, not a lot you can do I am afraid.

Emissions could also be caused by leaving the car running outside the test centre for a period before the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Always leave time for another retest when booking a retest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Shauna99999

waffleman wrote: »
    Always leave time for another retest when booking a retest.

Unfortunately I couldn’t get another appointment until 24 days after the initial test and then got a flat tyre on the day and couldn’t get another appointment until today.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

First thread, but as this is now about emission let's continue here

Is it still the 2006 Toyota Aygo?

Sometimes it's enough to drive around hard for 30 mins before test to make sure car is really hot before they test it. This alone can be enough to make sure emissions are good.

What are the numbers on the test sheet for the failing item?

biko wrote: »
    First thread, but as this is now about emission let's continue here

Is it still the 2006 Toyota Aygo?

Sometimes it's enough to drive around for 30 mins before test to make sure car is really hot before they test it. This alone can be enough to make sure emissions are good.

What are the numbers on the test sheet for the failing item?

Yes Toyota aygo yes see the car hasn’t been driven in probably a week as I have a new car but was driven to test Centre about 30 mins away I don’t have test sheet in front of me so not sure of codes but he said he couldn’t test the emissions at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Buy some fuel system cleaner in any motor factors
    Say it's for NCT, they'll know

In the days before the test - drive it 2/3 evenings for at least 30 mins on the motorway or somewhere where it can "stretch its legs"
    You need the cleaner chemicals to go through every bit of the system and clean it

Then on way to the NCT drive it hard, you want the engine to be roasting hot as you arrive for the test.
    That should do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Unfortunately I couldn’t get another appointment until 24 days after the initial test and then got a flat tyre on the day and couldn’t get another appointment until today.

You need to move quick - straight to mechanic after full test - estimate of how long to fix and book retest with a week left until 28 day limit if possible.

Longer you leave it harder it will be to book retest in good time.

Im not having a go at you - just letting you know how i do it. Ran out of time for a retest before myself - a shambles.

waffleman wrote: »
    You need to move quick - straight to mechanic after full test - estimate of how long to fix and book retest with a week left until 28 day limit if possible.

Longer you leave it harder it will be to book retest in good time.

Im not having a go at you - just letting you know how i do it. Ran out of time for a retest before myself - a shambles.

I just drove back up as I didn’t bring it to be tested earlier today myself so wanted an explanation of the exact problem as they had not explained it to the person that brought it turns out it was actually the original testers mistake at the original test he had told me that part of the back box was missing even drew me a diagram to explain it but and I quote in his words ‘don’t bother fixing it it’s not a fail it’s not even part of the test I’m just obliged to inform you’ so I didn’t fix as it was marked as a pass on the sheet. But turns out it is a complete fail and should be fixed immediately so lesson learned I’ll have it fix and rebook retest tomorrow it’s just such a nuisance to be told conflicting information

Advertisement