Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NCT failing on emissions

Options
  • 08-07-2019 9:06pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

9 Kia Picanto
    147k on the clock

Car failed on emissions - 0.36vol%

Garage gave me some additive and done the other work that needed to be done. they said it was so close to passing that the additive would be fine

Brought it back failed again on emissions, so put more additive in, failed again today

Brought it back to the garage they told me the engine "was pulling petrol"?? and it was an economic write off.

2 years ago i replaced the cat converter, as it also failed on emissions then.

Do any of you in the know think this car is salvageable? i need the car and I no money for a new one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

More info needed before anyone can give you any worthwhile advice.

Can you either post pictures of the entire emissions readings section of both report sheets or else post all emissions readings (including those that passed) from the 2 tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Any garage that recommends paying off the NCT i wouldn't have anything to do with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How is the car driven?

Did you drive a short distance to test centre...

Bizarre idea on paying NCT tester off.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭jbv

Go to another garage with more experience. You would be replacing a lot of unnecessary parts. Emissions can be checked by a proper garage once fault find and fixed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

How is the car driven?

Did you drive a short distance to test centre...

Bizarre idea on paying NCT tester off.

I drove it on the motorway for an hour today before the test.
    Normally it is short enough distances - house, creche, work - about 8km a day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

John Mason wrote: »
    I drove it on the motorway for an hour today before the test.
    Normally it is short enough distances - house, creche, work - about 8km a day

How hard did you drive it on motorway....

You need to absolutely screw the guts out of it and drive it hard. Did you use dipetane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I had a similar problem with a BMW years ago. I drove it in 3rd gear at 100+ kph for 15 or 20 mins so the engine was hotter then the fires of hell. It passed. I was ready to bring it to the scrap yard prior to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Had same issue on an older Polo. Some hard accelerating a few times in a safe space before NCT passed the emissions for me.

Advertisement