Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest Hurling Shocks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Edgware wrote: »
    The bigger hurling counties down south basically forgot about them since the mid nineties
    Thats because Antrim gave them nothing to remember them by

Except loughgiel shamrocks beating Na piarsaigh of Limerick and Coolderry of Offaly in 2012 to win the All Ireland senior club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Sonny678

The 3 biggest shocks in Hurling

1 Offaly beating kilkenny in 1980. It was a massive shock at the time and one og the all time great hurling shocks, if not the greatest

2 Antrim beating Offaly in 1989 again a massive shock at the time that no one saw coming again one of the all time great shocks

3 Galway beating Cork in 1975 was a massive shock at the time. People might be surprised by this one but before this , drawing Galway was always seen as an easy game for Tipp Cork or kilkenny . Galway would have renaissance after this win but before it Galway were not seen as top hurling county. The win v Cork is the turning point in modern Galway hurling. And Cork would go onto to win a 3 in row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

BQQ wrote: »
    Certainties for 2 in a row?
    Go away out of that

They only won the final the year before by a point and would have had to play the same team if they had beaten Offaly

Anyway, as you say yourself, Offaly had won an all-ireland only 2 years before
    Cork were favourites for sure, but everyone knew Offaly were capable on their day

Antrim making the final in 1989 was the biggest that I remember

Like with anything, its very difficult to put it properly into context 19 years later

Most will look at the records and say, well Offaly won an AI in 98 they can't have been too bad 2 years later, but they had been thumped by KK in 99 and 00 Leinster finals and 98 had a real last hurrah feel to it. Like how KK had an awful campaign in 17, and won an AI in 15

Cork in 00 were like Limerick this year. Kind of came from nowhere in 99 and then picked up where they left off and looked even better the year after.

It was a huge shock at the time.

And Cork were definitely most people's favourites for the AI. Kilkenny hadn't won an All Ireland in about 7 years at this stage, remember (two other Leinster teams had won it in their time). They hadn't come into their 00s pomp yet at all at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

You’d think Dublin were a hurling powerhouse the way everyone reacted to the weekend. It’s a real shame Laois lost to Cork in the football, could have given them a right good hammering as revenge on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mistermiyagi

Offaly beating Cork in 2000-hardly a shock. The semi final meeting in 99 was one of the greatest semis ever in terms of pure hurling, only a puck of a ball between them at the end.
    Cork were on an upward curve at the time of the 2000-semi, Offaly probably down, but still plenty hurling in them.
    Cork were favs yes, and it did upset the odds, but not a huge shock. A bit like Cork beating Tipp in the 1990 Munster Final.

Waterford losing at home to Kerry in 93, Cork losing to Clare same year, Offaly losing to Antrim 89 the biggest in my lifetime. Laois beating Dublin right up there.

• Advertisement

EICVD wrote: »
    You’d think Dublin were a hurling powerhouse the way everyone reacted to the weekend. It’s a real shame Laois lost to Cork in the football, could have given them a right good hammering as revenge on Saturday.

Yeah in fairness I'd say if Laois could have picked a top 9 side to play, they would have picked Dublin every time, although I think they would have rattled waterford too if they played them this year

Dublin probably haven't built up enough experience or know-how, when they're underperforming, to put away sticky teams like Laois. Probably missing a real top class forward who would essentially beat them on their own also

I'd say this game will be forgotten by many from a few years time tbh, I don't really see it being on the seismic scale in terms of shocks tbh. remember Dublin only won 1 game out of 6 (against the other 3 decent Leinster sides) in this new format. Only made one AI semi in my lifetime

County hurling doesn't really lend itself to massive surprises. Imagine a McDonagh side beating a Cork, KK or Tipp in their pomp.

I don't think anyone is saying Dublin are a hurling powerhouse! It doesn't have to involve a 'powerhouse' to be a shock.
    But, this Dublin team are handy enough, more or less knocked Galway out of the championship, drew with Wex, v close to beating KK the last 2 Leinsters.
    Laois didn't even make the final of the Joe McDonagh a year ago. They bridged a serious gap in beating Dublin.

Offaly beating Cork in 2000-hardly a shock. The semi final meeting in 99 was one of the greatest semis ever in terms of pure hurling, only a puck of a ball between them at the end.
    Cork were on an upward curve at the time of the 2000-semi, Offaly probably down, but still plenty hurling in them.
    Cork were favs yes, and it did upset the odds, but not a huge shock. A bit like Cork beating Tipp in the 1990 Munster Final.

Again, context - a lot had changed in that 12 months

Offaly were coming into the game on the back of being heavily pushed by the might of Derry and an 11 point loss to KK, who were not the force quite yet we would come to know them as

Here is a report on the game https://www.independent.ie/sport/offaly-confound-critics-to-force-rebel-collapse-26110985.html

Cork were 3/10 favourites, which are incredibly low odds in a semi final match in the back door era - when Ulster teams had stopped making semis

For the stature of the match I thought it was worth a mention anyway

Hurling doesn't lend itself to widespread shocks. The thread will become a bit boring if everyone weighs in with Antrim in 89 on every post

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

1909 Connacht Hurling Final: Mayo 10-1 Galway 4-1

Has to be one of the all-time shocks as Mayo won their only provincial hurling championship in 1909, and went on to lose the AI hurling semi to Tipp by just 1 goal.

jr86 wrote: »

Offaly were coming into the game on the back of being heavily pushed by the might of Derry and an 11 point loss to KK, who were not the force quite yet we would come to know them as

Here is a report on the game https://www.independent.ie/sport/offaly-confound-critics-to-force-rebel-collapse-26110985.html

Cork were 3/10 favourites, which are incredibly low odds in a semi final match in the back door era - when Ulster teams had stopped making semis

Hurling doesn't lend itself to widespread shocks. The thread will become a bit boring if everyone weighs in with Antrim in 89 on every post

I think if we're debating whether the 98 winners
    beating the 99 winners in the 00 semi was a shock then the thread has already gone boring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

EICVD wrote: »

Still a massive shock considering the resources available to both teams. Dublin knocked out Galway drew with Wexford and have been in AI semi finals in the recent past Laois were nearly relegated to Christy Ring last year.

In terms of shocks everytime Antrim were beaten in Ulster would have to count as major shocks like Down winning in 92 95 and 97 Derry in 2000 and 2001 and Donegal back in the 30's and even Monaghan won it in 1914 and 1915 although Eoin O Duffy is rumoured to have presided over some monumental cheating to assist Monaghan in those victories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

The thing about Antrim's win over Offaly in 1989 is that they came from nowhere and didn't just beat, but hammered an Offaly team who were genuine contenders for the title (although I don't think they would have stopped that Tipp team). There was a healthy number of players who had won Leinster and All-Ireland titles in the 80's and there were a handful of players that would form the 90's team.

Aside from 1943 when they defeated Kilkenny and Galway en route to defeat in that years final to Cork, Antrim had never defeated a team outside Ulster up to that point.

Offaly's first win over Kilkenny was referenced earlier; that was a shock at the time but it would soon become apparent that that wasn't some freak once off bolt from the blue as that team went on to win multiple titles.

There's a difference between a shock and a breakthrough. Clare's 95 Munster title would have been a shock had they just fizzled away and gone back into another multi decade famine, but they went on and added 2 more Munster's and 2 All-Ireland's.

Was last Sunday a breakthrough for Laois? I really hope so because we need all the competitive county's we can get in hurling but the jury is still out on that. Their win over Dublin was a surprise more than a shock as such, up to ten years ago there wasn't ever that much between Dublin and Laois and Laois wins over Dublin wouldn't have been that unusual before a decade ago.

That's not to in any way take away from an excellent and committed team performance from Laois last Sunday, based on the respective fortunes of both over the last decade it's a huge win for them, they'll hopefully back themselves to avoid relegation in the round robin next year. And wouldn't it be very interesting to see how GAA HQ would respond to one of the top tier counties being relegated if Laois do well next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

Scoundrel wrote: »
    In terms of shocks everytime Antrim were beaten in Ulster would have to count as major shocks like Down winning in 92 95 and 97 Derry in 2000 and 2001 and Donegal back in the 30's and even Monaghan won it in 1914 and 1915 although Eoin O Duffy is rumoured to have presided over some monumental cheating to assist Monaghan in those victories.

Indeed that is true. Derry beating them in 2001 was a huge shock. Another shock or upset for me was galway beating kk in 2005. Obviously two traditional counties but kk had beaten them by like 19 points in 2004

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tarzann wrote:
    Has to be one of the all-time shocks as Mayo won their only provincial hurling championship in 1909, and went on to lose the AI hurling semi to Tipp by just 1 goal.

Ah yes I remember that one vividly :P

C__MC wrote: »
    Indeed that is true. Derry beating them in 2001 was a huge shock.

Derry won two Ulsters in a row in 2001

Ulster was actually very competitive from the mid 90s - early 00s from what I remember. There wasn't much between Antrim, Derry and Down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Derry won two Ulsters in a row in 2001

Ulster was actually very competitive from the mid 90s - early 00s from what I remember. There wasn't much between Antrim, Derry and Down

Oliver Collins and Gary Biggs were very good players aon that team as were Dual stars Geoffrey McGonigle and Kieran McKeever.

Amazing that a hurling match with a score of 0-19 to 0-15 could be considered a classic (and it was one of the best matches I remeber watching) , these days it's close to what the score would be at half time in a lot matches.

Oliver Collins and Gary Biggs were very good players aon that team as were Dual stars Geoffrey McGonigle and Kieran McKeever.

Yeah, they gave Offaly a right scare in 00

Yeah, they gave Offaly a right scare in 00

I remeber right before the throw in one of the Derry Coaches when being interviewed (by Marty Morrisey probably) said "we'll win" with complete conviction, showed you how confident Derry were back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

Necro wrote: »
    Ah yes I remember that one vividly :P

So do I, #Mayo4Liam was even briefly trending that summer of 1909......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Nic_Col wrote: »
    There's a difference between a shock and a breakthrough.

Was last Sunday a breakthrough for Laois? I really hope so because we need all the competitive county's we can get in hurling but the jury is still out on that. Their win over Dublin was a surprise more than a shock as such,

One man's shock is another man's c'est la vie. If you want to know what real shock is ask your mother-in-law what does she think of same sex marriage.

Just watching the Christy Ring documentary last night and going through results Clare beating Cork in 1955 must have been a massive shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Was there any big shock this year? dont think so
    Waterford beating Cork was a mild shock and Waterford beating Kilkenny was a mild shock. Laois's win last year against Dublin was a serious shock but serious shocks are rare .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Tipp U21s were 5/1 against Cork in 2018 after getting a hammering in the Munster Final. A fella said to me that Cahill should have had a statue built for pulling off the upset with that panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

Seem to remember Roscommon beat Waterford once in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Just watching the Christy Ring documentary last night and going through results Clare beating Cork in 1955 must have been a massive shock.

Not that I was around then but a lot of older people in Clare speak of 1955. A great team with our own Legend named Jimmy Smyth beat Cork and Tipp only then to go down to Limerick in the Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

hurler32 wrote: »
    Was there any big shock this year? dont think so
    Waterford beating Cork was a mild shock and Waterford beating Kilkenny was a mild shock. Laois's win last year against Dublin was a serious shock but serious shocks are rare .
    "Mild shock" sounds like an oxymoron but you're right both those results were only slight upsets really. Laois Dublin was a bigger one but Dublin are generally seen as the most inconsistent Liam MacCarthy county while for the last 7 or 8 years Laois have consistently the best Tier 2 county. It's also only a shock in recent times. 15 years ago Laois beating Dublin (football or hurling) wouldn't have raised any eyebrows.

I can't find any results, but wikipedia lists the 1984-85 NHL tables, where Waterford were relegated from Division 2, behind Westmeath, Roscommon, Kerry and Antrim. Now I know Waterford had a poor time in the 80s and early 90s but there must have been some shocks pulled off in that campaign. Waterford got promoted again the following season, but surprisingly only came 2nd in Divsion 3, behind Mayo!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

crossman47 wrote: »
    Seem to remember Roscommon beat Waterford once in the league.

I don't think so. Mayo beat Waterford in Dungarvan in 1982. Roscommon beat Wexford in the Centenary Cup in 1984. Around the same time Dublin were having a bad patch and I think Roscommon drew with them in the league, and possibly Kerry too. Kildare put Dublin out of the hurling championship around 1974. Kerry drew a league match with Kilkenny in Tralee in the early 90s and beat Clare in the league immediately after Clare's 1995 win. But was that a shock? Somebody said after Clare's win that the people of Clare were pleased but the publicans were ecstatic.

• Advertisement

feargale wrote: »
    I don't think so. Mayo beat Waterford in Dungarvan in 1982. Roscommon beat Wexford in the Centenary Cup in 1984. Around the same time Dublin were having a bad patch and I think Roscommon drew with them in the league. Kildare put Dublin out of the hurling championship around 1974. Kerry drew a league match with Kilkenny in Tralee in the early 90s and beat Clare in the league immediately after Clare's 1995 win.

Kildare drew with Offaly in Leinster in 1975 should have beaten them by all accounts.

Advertisement