Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Colour of worktop for Oak Shaker kitchen

• 06-07-2019 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi, I am in the process of replacing my kitchen, and am drawn to an Oak Shaker kitchen.....mind you the one I am removing is an 18 year old Oak kitchen. I can't afford quartz or granite worktops, so have to go with composite ones. The kitchen will also include a radiator cover (in a different colour) as the maker has difficulty getting it to match up completely with the kitchen. I am also choosing Bronze or Antique Brass handles. Can anyone advise me on the best colour for worktops - bearing in mind that I will need to replace curtains etc.... I feel that black is "so last year", but is white too stark??? The wall tiles and floor tiles are being replaced too, so it's a sort of blank canvas. Your advice is appreciated, please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

balliali wrote: »
    Hi, I am in the process of replacing my kitchen, and am drawn to an Oak Shaker kitchen.....mind you the one I am removing is an 18 year old Oak kitchen. I can't afford quartz or granite worktops, so have to go with composite ones. The kitchen will also include a radiator cover (in a different colour) as the maker has difficulty getting it to match up completely with the kitchen. I am also choosing Bronze or Antique Brass handles. Can anyone advise me on the best colour for worktops - bearing in mind that I will need to replace curtains etc.... I feel that black is "so last year", but is white too stark??? The wall tiles and floor tiles are being replaced too, so it's a sort of blank canvas. Your advice is appreciated, please.

Isn't oak shaker so last year too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Isn't oak shaker so last year too?

I like the shaker look because it's pretty simple, but its not going to look sleek or super modern (mind you even that hi gloss sleek look is so last decade at this stage)

I like wood effect countertops..But If you wanted quartz or granite, go for one that most approximates that in thickness and shape.. I doubt the traditional oak look would go too well with a white counter top but it's personal ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

You could go with grey worktops. I agree though oak is a bit dated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'd go the other way around, grey shaker with oak worktops.

Solid painted shaker if the budget allows, otherwise there are some really nice MDF/foil wrapped 5-piece shakers on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I had a pippy oak kitchen, about 12 years old, good quality, which Ive just had resprayed.

It looks fantastic and a fraction of replacing.

I was originally not going to change it, as I actually liked the oak and the units were good quality.

However one night i just walked in and decided, it was just too yellow.

Not sure of the point if replacing one oak kitchen with another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭balliali

Thanks everyone. I like the "look" of wood - I don't like the painted kitchens, even the best of them "chip" the paint. I don't have a modern house either, and can't afford granite/quartz worktops. I still love the traditional look of the kitchen, there's not a lot of space in the room due to 2 windows and 3 doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭EVGR

Go to the Panelling Centre and hold different samples in front of oak. Try something with specs of light brown, as the oak is light brown. SLATE SEQUOIA will go well with the oak. Then you get the contrast of the wood look and the stone look (although laminate).

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

If you like oak shaker kitchens, then go with oak shaker and for God's sake don't be persuaded to go with Grey. Everyone's house has turned Grey. Grey kitchens, Grey sofas, Grey walls. No one seems to have a notion of their own style anymore, it's just go with the crowd like a bunch of sheep. It's like when the Brown Leather sofas came out, it was like an epidemic!!

My advise would be to just Google ''Oak Shaker Kitchen' choose images and go through them until you find something that YOU like, then go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

If you like oak shaker kitchens, then go with oak shaker and for God's sake don't be persuaded to go with Grey. Everyone's house has turned Grey. Grey kitchens, Grey sofas, Grey walls. No one seems to have a notion of their own style anymore, it's just go with the crowd like a bunch of sheep. It's like when the Brown Leather sofas came out, it was like an epidemic!!

My advise would be to just Google ''Oak Shaker Kitchen' choose images and go through them until you find something that YOU like, then go with that.

Couldn't agree more. We have enough grey in the Irish weather without bringing it indoors also. Individuality is gone out the window 'copy and paste' is the norm.

Reminds me of something a salesman once said to me - We buy things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people we don't know.

Advertisement