Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mountain Skills Practice

• 01-07-2019 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Just completed my Mountain Skills 1 and looking for good spots to practice skills in the Munster area. I know there is infinite hiking options but looking for locations particularly good for practicing navigation with defined features and off trail that are safe but still off the beaten track.
    Any tips?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Baurtegaum near tralee might be useful, via the Dingle way Trail head there is a loop walk up there too and go up along the river valley and then go right there are a couple of minor high points that you can use as navigation.

Purple mountain in fog might be a good test for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭what?

Just completed my Mountain Skills 1 and looking for good spots to practice skills in the Munster area. I know there is infinite hiking options but looking for locations particularly good for practicing navigation with defined features and off trail that are safe but still off the beaten track.
    Any tips?
    Thanks
    whereabouts are you based?
    Cork backpacked normally hike in Kerry
    Leave cork round 8.30 Sundays , coffee stop in or around Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 9 coffeepower

what? wrote: »
    whereabouts are you based?
    Cork backpacked normally hike in Kerry
    Leave cork round 8.30 Sundays , coffee stop in or around Killarney

Based in Cork, would usually head to Kerry as well but open to other locations!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 coffeepower

sheesh wrote: »
    Baurtegaum near tralee might be useful, via the Dingle way Trail head there is a loop walk up there too and go up along the river valley and then go right there are a couple of minor high points that you can use as navigation.

Purple mountain in fog might be a good test for you too.

Perfect thanks! Haven't heard of Baurtegaum before, I'll check it out. Planning to do purple mountain soon, have GR for points en route to work from.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭what?

Based in Cork, would usually head to Kerry as well but open to other locations!

Backpacker walk leaders encourage folks to lead routs, could be an option for ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Just did MS1 over the weekend, looking to do MS2 before the winter sets in.
    Anyone in the Meath area in the same boat? Hoping to log the required hikes for next year to do the MS assessment.
    Ta
    Eoin

Advertisement