Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rate the race - Round 9 Austria

• 30-06-2019 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,001 ✭✭✭✭

Presumably better than average for this one, how would you rate it

Rate the race 45 votes

0%
    4%
    BigusSimon Gruber Says 2 votes
    22%
    Dont be at yourselfLIGHTNINGHarikaMackman2011H3llR4iserDarkglasseszambrotta11pjohnsonBurkie1203 10 votes
    42%
    antodecoZaphjv2000InquitusCharlie-Bravoskipper_GflaziocherryghostSpudman_20000weekaizerHa Long BayCar99seamusk84Anesthetizethe_pen_turnerbillybonkersrobyntmortonStreetlampDon Juan II 19 votes
    17%
    Ghost TrainSantanAnjobeRossi IRLAMKCInviereCork TruckerNic_Col 8 votes
    11%
    ednwirelandCorben DallasGrim.tigerboond8491prj5boyvg 5 votes
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    2%
    tgdaly 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

That had a bit of everything really, was some excellent wheel to wheel racing. Badly needed a good race and we got one, 8 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

God knows the last time the winner overtakes the 3rd,2nd and 1st to win a race in legit overtaking against top teams.
    I think the last time this happened was jenson in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

9 for me.

Everything F1 should be. Slight lull for 15 laps or so around lap 45 or so but otherwise was excellent.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

9 for me.
    I initially wanted LeClerc to win but Max brought so much to the race I changed my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Harika wrote: »
    God knows the last time the winner overtakes the 3rd,2nd and 1st to win a race in legit overtaking against top teams.
    I think the last time this happened was jenson in Canada.

Ricciardo China 2018 maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

6. Only 6? Well I enjoyed it at the time but in hindsight, it was all contrived through stupid tyre wear and DRS. Max drove well but as many said in the other thread, he would have passed in a clean drs move a lap later if he didn't make that move stick. Not a great way to have the sport imo.

I'm disappointed there wasn't a controversial outcome because this will be used as an example that the sport is in rude health. Sky spent a lot of time rabbitting on to that effect. It was a complete outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭seamusk84

8/10 from me.

What a great race. The final quarter of the race was spectacular.
    The orange army getting behind Max on his quest for victory really sucked me (and I’m assuming) everyone else in. You could feel the passion reverberating off them through the TV.
    Also loved seb doing the two stopper and then chasing down Hamilton to get his spot.
    Sure the overtakes were contrived with DRS, but there were still some epic moves.

Just what the doctor ordered after the snore fest last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

6. Only 6? Well I enjoyed it at the time but in hindsight, it was all contrived through stupid tyre wear and DRS. Max drove well but as many said in the other thread, he would have passed in a clean drs move a lap later if he didn't make that move stick. Not a great way to have the sport imo.

I'm disappointed there wasn't a controversial outcome because this will be used as an example that the sport is in rude health. Sky spent a lot of time rabbitting on to that effect. It was a complete outlier.

Agree with the 6. DRS was too powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

A strong 7 from me. The beginning and middle sections weren't incredible, my god the final third of the race delivered. There's nothing like an underdog charging through the field, it's nail biting stuff. Brilliant, but required patience before the pay-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Would have loved to have seen this live as am sure without the stupid adds on Channel 4 it would have been so much better but as it was just seen the highlights with stupid adds and as such I am only giving the race a 7. Maybe when I watch it again I up to an 8 but for now its just 7.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Guys, without DRS there would have been next to zero overtakes. I understand the fact that it feels unfair how the driver ahead has no ability to fight back in any way and that is definitely the one drawback of DRS, but again - this race would not have been possible at all without it. All you need to do is go back and watch some pre-DRS races to see how drivers simply got stuck behind slower cars, even on supposedly "slipstreaming-fest" tracks like Monza (the 1997 race was particularly interesting in these regards - the first 6 pretty much within 1.5s of each other the whole race and no overtakes on track). Or go check the "Force India trains" that were so common a decade ago.

I've given it a 9 because in the age of supercomputers, dedicated strategy teams, simulator-borne setups, off-shore teams running scenarios through software on the other side of the planet and feeding the info back to the garages, well, this is as unpredictable / uncertain a race can possibly be without external factors influencing it (rain, uncharacteristic mechanical attrition due to weather, track invasion by lunatic Irish priests etc.).

Not 10, as that'd mean there's no room for improvement, although I'd be 100% honest and admit that I'd have been more inclined to give it full marks if Leclerc had won it. As we are, poor Charles reminds me more and more of Jean Alesi...he needs to break the curse ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I gave it an 8 as it was head and shoulders the best race we have had in a good while, probably not an 8 when compared with GP's over history, but with the turgid affairs we have become used to I may have given it a bonus mark or 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Inquitus wrote: »
    I gave it an 8 as it was head and shoulders the best race we have had in a good while, probably not an 8 when compared with GP's over history, but with the turgid affairs we have become used to I may have given it a bonus mark or 2!

That's the thing . In a good year this race would be 5 to 6 . This year being so terrible makes it look amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

This is what we should be getting every race, not once every 5 or more races. If Mercedes hadn’t struggled with overheating then it would have been the usual 1 - 2 finish and a fight for the last podium place.

Advertisement