Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny Masters RIP?

• 28-06-2019 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Kilkenny Masters RIP?

We've had a long innings....1993-2018, but all good things must come to an end.

Kilkenny Chess Club have to date failed to attract a sponsor for the Kilkenny Masters 2019.

Early in August we will submit our entry form to the ICU website for the Kilkenny Chess Congress which will be held on the weekend of 15th-17th November 2019.

However without a sponsor the event will have to be self-financing from entry fees and we will not be in a position to invite titled players.

A three section event looks feasible, but a final decision as to the make up of the tournament will be made at the end of July.

e.g.
    <1500
    1500-1900
    >1900

No wall to wall G.M's I'm afraid.

Thanks for the memories.

(Any help gratefully appreciated, we have a jumper that might fit you!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Eugene Donohoe

Ah that's a real shame. I'm sure you're all really disappointed with this development. Commiserations.
    The Irish chess community will sorely miss the masters group in this flagship event.
    Such a treat to watch so many strong players in action over the years, never mind the banter in the bar!

Would you consider 1400 - 1900 as the middle group instead of 1500-1900?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Danville

Ah that's a real shame. I'm sure you're all really disappointed with this development. Commiserations.
    The Irish chess community will sorely miss the masters group in this flagship event.
    Such a treat to watch so many strong players in action over the years, never mind the banter in the bar!

Would you consider 1400 - 1900 as the middle group instead of 1500-1900?

It depends....

Eugene: Depends on what?

The size of your brown envelope!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

My golf club recently got a 65,000 euro grant from either the Lottery or the Government (maybe from both). I think a good case could be made to the tourist board, the minister for sport or the lotto to get some money for the Kilkenny Congress. Failing that, Kilkenny is one of the wealthiest parts of Ireland so I am sure some sponsors could be found somewhere.

Advertisement