Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Well, I’d imagine it’s hard to control what other jurisdictions do.

Live exports of the dogs should be stalled especially if they are en route to China, a country which has legislated for the mandatory testing of all cosmetic and cleaning products on animals. If any of the products we use are sold in China they have to be be tested on animals in China prior to selling over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

You'd have to wonder what kind of darkness lurks in those who take enjoyment in the barbarism that is coursing.

It’s very easy to write statements like the above- it brings nothing to the narrative here except a likely flood of highly emotive nonsense.

This was shocking TV -and rightly there will be a fallout.

The killing of any animal on TV is likely to provoke highly emotive responses- overall it probably distracts from the very serious issues identified in the investigation.

Fact-

they eat dogs in Asia; They treat them dreadfully; is the Irish Greyhound Industry responsible for people eating dogs in Asia - No

Logic of above says should we ban the breeding of all dogs in Ireland - I saw a red setter at that meat market? We will not be able to stop dogs of all types ending up in these places- it’s their culture whether we like it or not.

You could show footage of abbatoirs the world over that I would find repulsive even as a meat eater-will it change anything- NO;

Hopefully this investigation will bring about real meaningful change backed up by appropriate enforceable legislation in the Greyhound Industry.

Resorting to graphic footage worries me -the
    sensational nature of this type of expose usually ends up with a week of liveline and then nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

How many of you have actually seen an Irish Hare running wild in Ireland?

It’s quite a sight and I’ve only seen it 3 times in my lifetime and it was so special every time.

Lots of them here in north Roscommon.

I can honestly say hundreds of times. You can’t walk anywhere in Dublin Airport and not see Irish hares. They are everywhere.

In Dublin Airport. A place I’m assuming doesn’t engage with greyhounds to cull these creatures. And also, where lots of people born in Ireland don’t spend much of their time.

BTW- Dublin Airport is a tiny part of Ireland-Connaught, another slightly larger part of Ireland, is a place where you can see hares- if you’re lucky enough.
    So, what’s your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

But we CAN control what we do :)

And in some areas, we fare better than most other developed countries. Not in dog-racing unfortunately but in standards for animals bred as food. There is room for improvement there but it would inaccurate to say we lag behind in general in animal welfare. Some areas we do well, others not do much.

• Advertisement

Blueshoe wrote: »
    The Chinese.
    A bad bunch of *****

In fairness to the programme tonight, it did state that it was illegal what was going on in China in terms of illegal racing.

And in some areas, we fare better than most other developed countries. Not in dog-racing unfortunately but in standards for animals bred as food. There is room for improvement there but it would inaccurate to say we lag behind in general in animal welfare. Some areas we do well, others not do much.

So go back to your crossword so, nothing to see here.. :pac:

It’s very easy to write statements like the above- it brings nothing to the narrative here except a likely flood of highly emotive nonsense.

This was shocking TV -and rightly there will be a fallout.

The killing of any animal on TV is likely to provoke highly emotive responses- overall it probably distracts from the very serious issues identified in the investigation.

Fact-

they eat dogs in Asia; They treat them dreadfully; is the Irish Greyhound Industry responsible for people eating dogs in Asia - No

Logic of above says should we ban the breeding of all dogs in Ireland - I saw a red setter at that meat market? We will not be able to stop dogs of all types ending up in these places- it’s their culture whether we like it or not.

You could show footage of abbatoirs the world over that I would find repulsive even as a meat eater-will it change anything- NO;

Hopefully this investigation will bring about real meaningful change backed up by appropriate enforceable legislation in the Greyhound Industry.

Resorting to graphic footage worries me -the
    sensational nature of this type of expose usually ends up with a week of liveline and then nothing.

Erm- what they showed on RTÉ this evening, is illegal in Ireland.

So shut up about you’re dog eating nonsense. .

Live exports of the dogs should be stalled especially if they are en route to China, a country which has legislated for the mandatory testing of all cosmetic and cleaning products on animals. If any of the products we use are sold in China they have to be be tested on animals in China prior to selling over there.

A lot of botox is produced in Ireland. I would be amazed if people think that’s not tested on animals first. Unfortunately, we’re not at the point of completely replacing animal testing. There are a few medical uses for botox but it’s mostly used cosmetically. China is not the only country that tests cosmetics on animals. I don’t agree with it for non-essential, non-medical products by the way, but it would be naïve to think that it doesn’t happen in Ireland.
    So go back to your crossword so, nothing to see here.. :pac:

Thankfully, you don’t get to decide who posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I somehow doubt the industry is going to be disbanded so would there be any merit in a major campaign to get people to consider rescue greyhounds as really good family pets ? They are very gentle and surprising lazy, I believe. so easy to manage and it might just save the poor creatures from being boiled alive in China.

Also, is a knackery the same as an abattoir for say cattle who have TB etc ?

There's not enough people to take in the masses of regular rescue dogs*, let alone the hundreds of dogs needlessly generated by this "industry".

*Caused by all the ordinary supposedly decent people who can't be arsed to look after the dog they bought as a fashion accessory.

• Advertisement

A lot of botox is produced in Ireland. I would be amazed if people think that’s not tested on animals first. Unfortunately, we’re not at the point of completely replacing animal testing. There are a few medical uses for botox but it’s mostly used cosmetically. China is not the only country that tests cosmetics on animals. I don’t agree with it for non-essential, non-medical products by the way, but it would be naïve to think that it doesn’t happen in Ireland.

Thankfully, you don’t get to decide who posts!

But I do get to report OT posts ;)

Erm- what they showed on RTÉ this evening, is illegal in Ireland.

So shut up about you’re dog eating nonsense. .

Why are we talking about the Irish/GB Greyhound Industry in the context of eating dogs in Asia - ask yourself that?

It brought nothing to this programme except sensationalist nonsense that distracted from the illegal behavior highlighted in Ireland- that’s the point I’m making ; it was unnecessary IMO.

That footage has done the rounds on various animal rights channels for years- they’re still eating dogs in Asia. Let’s focus on what we can control and make a real impact on.

‘Oh coursing people are evil monsters’-that’s goin to make an impact alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

anewme wrote: »
    Well I was pillored and the whole thread was removed right here on boards.ie because I said it was a great day for animal welfare in Ireland that the Puppy Farmer in Carlow was convicted. A moderator said... you must be sick...

It was an even better day that this individual lost his appeal and that conviction was upheld.

I've never seen karma work out so well as in that fcukers case.

But I do get to report OT posts ;)

I’m on topic. People have said that Ireland had a poor record for animal welfare. It’s a fair point to make to say that that’s not totally true. In some areas - yes. In others - no.

But trot out the winky smilie, it doesn’t mean that my posts will be actioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Completely and utterly agree. I had written a very similar post about 10 minutes ago and it didn’t get posted for some reason (maybe my mistake). We have an appalling track record in Ireland for animal welfare, far far worse than the UK. Remember the recent jailing of Wexford puppy breeder , carcasses of dogs and horses found on his farm!

I spoke to 3 people this weekend who were saying they were getting dogs . ALL of them were getting brand new puppies. I suggested rescue dogs and it was something they had never considered as they wanted pure bred puppies. Our rescue centres are bursting at the seams .

But that’s another story, let’s concentrate at the moment on the poor innocent greyhounds. I noticed that it was all men who were involved in coursing and greyhound breeding , plus racing , selling and abuse of these dogs.... not women. Do men not have the same feelings as women when it comes to animal welfare?

Some of the most high profile cases of animal cruelty in recent memory involved women. That fat solicitor woman who left her dog, moved out of the house and it starved/dehydrated (there were pics in the paper of it laying near a mop bucket it tried to drink from in desperation. The cat in the bin.

If you actually watch the dog races you can see plainly that half the handlers and employees are women.

I'm male and worked full time at a shelter in the US and while I was vastly outnumbered by the women, that was likely due in part to the fact that it was min wage work and a second/supplementary income. If a man wants to work with animals they tend to become a vet. And many vets do a lot of work with rescues.

Women are more nurturing etc in general and less likely to violently abuse any creature but in the cases of coursing or racing, the men aren't being mean to the animals for kicks.

It's for money. like everything else in this craphole world. That's why they race and course and that's why less men are involved in rescues which are all either unpaid (hardly any in Ireland are not 100% volunteers) or low paid. We're not all unkind but we are all under pressure to be earners, providers etc. Trust me no woman cares how many puppies you saved if you can't provide for the car, mortgage etc.

And if you haven't see the video that was popular on FB a month or so ago about the guy who was mountain biking across europe or asia or somewhere and adopted a homeless kitten from a pile of rubble and took it on the journey with him, you should look it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

OP if you stop funding it through tax way way more dogs are going to be killed!

And yes I agree it's shocking.

There is no way to rehome ALL the dogs etc.

It needs to be reduced.

You won't get it banned tho.

Also its not just racing here ..WE EXPORT dogs to everywhere in europe ...so even if you BAN it here they will still breed them..and it will go underground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

But the breeders, racers, abusers, knackers who killed these dogs, drivers who transported them ,the Chinese who boiled them, were all men.

Plenty of women in the knackeries giving out prices when the reporter rang. The person who took the money from the reporter at the first knackery he visited was a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

The suits in the IGB will be hoping something big happens in the news tomorrow so this will blow over and they can still get their bonuses. No doubt an inquiry will be announced, should all be forgotten in a few weeks time.

Maybe they will be brought before the public accounts committee and do what the FAI did.

I’m on topic. People have said that Ireland had a poor record for animal welfare. It’s a fair point to make to say that that’s not totally true. In some areas - yes. In others - no.

But trot out the winky smilie, it doesn’t mean that my posts will be actioned.

Well it will be a good test if the piece of sh1te that passes as a valid post in AH still stands here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Why are we talking about the Irish/GB Greyhound Industry in the context of eating dogs in Asia - ask yourself that?

It brought nothing to this programme except sensationalist nonsense that distracted from the illegal behavior highlighted in Ireland- that’s the point I’m making ; it was unnecessary IMO.

That footage has done the rounds on various animal rights channels for years- they’re still eating dogs in Asia. Let’s focus on what we can control and make a real impact on.

‘Oh coursing people are evil monsters’-that’s goin to make an impact alright!

Because Irish greyhounds are ending up in China, are you saying we can't control that or something?

• Advertisement

maggiepip wrote: »
    Because Irish greyhounds are ending up in China, are you saying we can't control that or something?

Thanks- my point precisely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Forget about the tax part. The only way to stop this is to make it illegal to bet on. Thats what the entire thing is based on. Prize money for most dog races is low 3 figures. It's so low I often wondered how it's even viable for the dog owners taking into account vet bills, petrol to transport the dogs, etc.

But obvs when you can put them down for a tenner you start to see the picture more clearly. And anyone charging a tenner is definitely shooting them. The chemicals for injection cost a good bit more than a bullet.

If you stop the gambling you stop the racing and the cruelty that goes along with it.

But that will never happen. Gambling is the fastest growing addiction by far in this country.

And anyone who thinks horse racing is just as bad, well it is and it isn't. You only need to look at the dingy, depressing looking venues dog racing is held in and compare it to horse racing tracks to see the difference. But England and Ireland have excellent standards for their facilities in horse racing, other countries not always.

Give the money to horseracing instead!

Forget about the tax part. The only way to stop this is to make it illegal to bet on. Thats what the entire thing is based on. Prize money for most dog races is low 3 figures. It's so low I often wondered how it's even viable for the dog owners taking into account vet bills, petrol to transport the dogs, etc.

But obvs when you can put them down for a tenner you start to see the picture more clearly. And anyone charging a tenner is definitely shooting them. The chemicals for injection cost a good bit more than a bullet.

If you stop the gambling you stop the racing and the cruelty that goes along with it.

But that will never happen. Gambling is the fastest growing addiction by far in this country.

And anyone who thinks horse racing is just as bad, well it is and it isn't. You only need to look at the dingy, depressing looking venues dog racing is held in and compare it to horse racing tracks to see the difference. But England and Ireland have excellent standards for their facilities in horse racing, other countries not always.
    Horse racing is not just as bad. There is a higher standard of care.

It's a different ballgame.

Well it will be a good test if the piece of sh1te that passes as a valid post in AH still stands here ;)

What is your problem with my posts? What makes them “shïte”? If they are not up to the standard, I’ll be reprimanded. What is the point of also protesting loudly on thread? I’m not going to stop posting if I still have things to say, unless I’m instructed by a mod to no longer post. Passive-aggressive smilies and insulting my posts don’t intimidate me. Why are you stooping to that? I’d suggest you are in no position to judge the quality of the posts of other users.

Because those dogs are unregistered as it is. So no for some reason we obviously can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Give the money to horseracing instead!

GTFO with that. It isn't "the" money, it's OUR money. And it shouldn't be anywhere near these so- called sports.

By the way ...the greyhound industry obviously forgot to entertain the bigwigs at RTE then...

There is no way they would be reporting this then!

GTFO with that. It isn't "the" money, it's OUR money. And it shouldn't be anywhere near these so- called sports.

Horse racing is a great humane and noble sport.

It's produced amazing horses that are well cared for ...better than in most other stables imo.

• Advertisement

We can control it- and we will control it and we should control it.

why do we need to include that graphic footage of dog markets in Asia ? 20% of people in China eat dogs - there’s nothing the IGB can do about that;

There’s an onus on the national broadcaster to deliver fair and balanced reporting; the vibe I got here was to launch a total broadside on the Irish Greyhound Industry and inflict maximum damage - get the Industry banned and get hare coursing banned at all costs; that’s not balanced reporting.

These are legal sports in the country and should be afforded due process- whether u agree with them or not.

Knackeries r licensed to kill fallen animals in the fashion shown ; should they be killing dogs- absolutely not- horrific; there’s a very small number of these- this will be dealt with swiftly I’d imagine; the vibe seemed to be oh every Greyhound owner in the country visits knackeries;

It’s not balanced or reasoned reporting- there’s an onus to afford the industry that at least

Advertisement