Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Identify Old Medal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

Link doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Links are not working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I'll have to fix them later.

Check now

• Registered Users Posts: 25,319 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It looks like an Irish sterling silver hallmark from 1950. The motiff shows oak leaves and acorns, the surrounding cogwheel teeth suggests some link to engineering or manufacturing?

coylemj wrote: »
    It looks like an Irish sterling silver hallmark from 1950. The motiff shows oak leaves and acorns, the surrounding cogwheel teeth suggests some link to engineering or manufacturing?

Thank you, I think it might be a guild or tradesman award for carpentry.
    I was thinking of ANCO(FAS predecessor) award, but it might be earlier than that.
    I can't get any similar images on-line.

• Advertisement

Update: research on the makers mark to the left of the hallmark indicates that it was produced by the Kilkenny Design Workshop which operated from 1965 to 88.

https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Dublin-JL.html#K

And I misread the table of Dublin date letters, there was no bold border between columns so I picked the year from the wrong side of the column, that letter represents 1976.

https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Dates/Dublin.html

coylemj wrote: »
    Update: research on the makers mark to the left of the hallmark indicates that it was produced by the Kilkenny Design Workshop which operated from 1965 to 88.

https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Dublin-JL.html#K

But the date letter on the hallmark indicates Dublin 1950 :confused:

Would it not be 1976, from the date table in the link
    Woman-harp-1(one)
    That would put it around the time of ANCO.
    I've just never heard of an award from them.

The Mulk wrote: »
    Would it not be 1976, from the date table in the link
    Woman-harp-1(one)
    That would put it around the time of ANCO.
    I've just never heard of an award from them.

Yes, I misread the table, see the correction I made to my earlier post, it is 1976.

Advertisement