Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bass Fishing

• 30-05-2019 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I recently started bass fishing and the lures i use are 10 quid a pop.
    The place I fish is snag city but there are plenty of fish about.
    Just wondering can anyone recommend any decent lures that are less expensive. The lure im using at the moment is called a sandy andy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

I recently started bass fishing and the lures i use are 10 quid a pop.
    The place I fish is snag city but there are plenty of fish about.
    Just wondering can anyone recommend any decent lures that are less expensive. The lure im using at the moment is called a sandy andy.

Have you tried using weedless lures such as this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

A simple silver kilty spoon is all you need bass go mad for them. I think theres too much emphasis put on expensive plugs and soft plastic lures. Simple traditional spoons are just as good trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

Have you tried flying C's??

They can be got for handy enough money.

Worth getting a variety of colours and finding out which works best for your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭con___manx1

10fathoms wrote: »
    Have you tried flying C's??

They can be got for handy enough money.

Worth getting a variety of colours and finding out which works best for your location.

I thought flying C were for salmon. Do they work for bass ?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

I thought flying C were for salmon. Do they work for bass ?

They do indeed work on bass. I've found them to be a good all rounder really especially in places where there's a risk of snagging and loosing more expensive lures.

German sprats are another cheap option. They're know by different names but they're basically a chrome bar that's twisted to give a nice action through the water with a treble hook on the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

If the place you are fishing is snag city then metals will only add to your losses. You should consider fishing lures that can be rigged weedless. The Black Minnow listed above is a great bass catcher. You could try out a Seaducer from www.piratelures.com great lures made in Ireland. You could also try a surface lure, a great way to catch if the bass are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

If the place you are fishing is snag city then metals will only add to your losses. You should consider fishing lures that can be rigged weedless. The Black Minnow listed above is a great bass catcher. You could try out a Seaducer from www.piratelures.com great lures made in Ireland. You could also try a surface lure, a great way to catch if the bass are about.

Great advice from jim there OP.

Dolive sticks on a weedless hook is another good shout. You'll get the dolives on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Tobys and metal lures like flying Cs can be fished very high in the water. My father used to have great success in very shallow and snaggy terrain with tobys for bass.

Weedless rubber lures or surface (or very shallow diving) plugs are other options. i would have all of the above in my box. Dont discount any of them, they all have their day.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RKMG

Aliexpress does very cheap plugs/jerkbaits for about a 5th of the price of the expensive ones, they aren't as good quality but defo work well. managed to catch a bass over 10lb in Spain recently on one and caught a few smaller ones too on them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

What lures are you using out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭con___manx1

ardinn wrote: »
    What lures are you using out of interest?

Im using a Sandy andy. Its working quite well at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Oh ok - there similar to the powerbait sandeels and you can get 4 of those for under a tenner. Have you tried traditional wedges and the likes for €2-€5 - Always great to have in the box - Pm me if your after a selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Had a nice 6lb fish last week on a soft plastic a PB for me

Hows everyone else doing

Advertisement