Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upcoming Rapid and Blitz Events

• 07-02-2019 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Quite a few of these coming up so I'll group them all together in this thread:

The Dublin Rapid Championships 2019
    10 Feb 2019 - Talbot Hotel

The Irish Team Blitz Championship 2019
    3 Mar 2019 - Buswells Hotel

The Dublin Blitz Championship 2019
    31 Mar 2019 - Buswells Hotel

The Irish International Blitz 2019
    19 Apr 2019 - Gonzaga College

The Irish International Rapid 2019
    22 Apr 2019 - Gonzaga College

Online entry available for each on the ICU site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

Quite a few of these coming up so I'll group them all together in this thread:

The Dublin Rapid Championships 2019
    10 Feb 2019 - Talbot Hotel

The Irish Team Blitz Championship 2019
    3 Mar 2019 - Buswells Hotel

The Dublin Blitz Championship 2019
    31 Mar 2019 - Buswells Hotel

The Irish International Blitz 2019
    19 Apr 2019 - Gonzaga College

The Irish International Rapid 2019
    22 Apr 2019 - Gonzaga College

Online entry available for each on the ICU site.

Strong entry for tonight’s rapid with Collins, O’Donnell, Daly, Li, Melaughs, Waters and How 20-30 others signed up. You can enter at the door before 5.45pm

Excellent turnout for the first 10+5 Rapid we ran last week. The event was won by Henry Li who took down Sam Collins along the way. Henry needs a win in the leagues tomorrow for his FM title.

7 spots taken, 5 spots left for the team blitz which will be held in 2 weeks. Entries have been brisk of far so don’t leave it too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

I see that after this weekends team blitz filled up quicker than expected, that the ICU are now extending the competition by 2 rounds, from 11 to 13, and allowing 2 more teams to enter.

Is this the right decision? Everybody knew that there were only spots for 12 teams, and it has been well flagged that it was filling up.

What jumps out from the initial list of teams entered, is that none of the usual/regular list of blitz winners had entered a team (although they may well be on one of the entered teams), so would it not be better to stick with the original team cap of 12 teams, and let the lesser lights have a great fight between them for the title?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think it makes sense. You could split the tournament into an A and a B section - with 6 in each - but then everyone plays one game less. Ideally, this tournament would grow so that in future years it could have enough teams in it to be a Swiss (you'd need maybe 16 teams to ensure no illegal draws later on). So on that basis, expanding it to 14 is better than keeping it at 12 and splitting it 6/6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

I don't think you can necessarily judge from the names of the captains who have paid entry fees that this will be a weak tournament.

From the point of view of the people running the event (Ivan Baburin and myself) a round-robin means the draw for the whole event can be done at the start, avoiding long breaks between rounds, so things should go fairly efficiently. Either one big group, as planned, or two round-robin groups and a playoff would be OK from that point of view. But two groups would mean most players get only 6 games when they expected more. Do you want to give up an evening for only six blitz games?

Ivan is in charge so it's his call (and John's) ultimately but my view is that the event should be run as announced.

Ideally, I would prefer if all teams had to submit their player lists in board order to the Chief Arbiter by say noon on Sunday. That would make it possible to set up the whole event in Swiss Manager before travelling to the venue.
    Ivan or I could print out match cards in advance for every match, showing who plays who, with the captains entering and signing for the result. This works particularly well if there are teams of four with no reserves. If reserves are allowed, the player names have to be entered by hand.

Then as soon as one round ends the next is set up. One team always plays at the same table. The others move according to a predetermined system.

Entering the individual results for rating can then be done from the match cards later, maybe next day, leaving the arbiters free to deal with any incidents that may occur and not having to worry about pairings.

A Swiss would inevitably take much longer because of the need to verify every result and make/check the draw. It also requires seeding to be calculated before the event starts whereas a round-robin doesn't require that.

• Advertisement

You could run a double round-robin to boost games; 8 teams would mean 14 games.

I think we ran it so the individual game results from one round were all entered before we got the next round underway. It added a bit of time, but it wasn't too bad. Your way would be neater for an all-play-all tournament for sure. But I suppose the bigger question is what suits expansion of the tournament? How do we get to 16/18/20 teams? A Swiss is the easiest way to do that

Just to throw in another blitz event this month - the St Benildus charity handicap blitz is on 20th March. Details here.

UCD Intervarsity on Saturday, March 30th. Online entry available on ICU site here:

https://www.icu.ie/events/1225

The Irish Team Rapid Championship 2019 takes place on Sunday in the Talbot Hotel. Teams are to be made up of 4 players with 7 FIDE rated rounds. Enter here: https://www.icu.ie/events/1247

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Pete Morriss

Just to make this more complete, the Galway Rapidplay will take place on Saturday 8 June, at the Bridge Centre, St Mary’s Road, Galway. The format will be seven rounds, with each player having 15 minutes to make all their moves, plus an extra ten seconds for each move. The event will start at 11 a.m. (prompt!), and we expect that it will finish by 7 p.m. To enter, email your name and details to galwaychess [at] gmail [dot] com by midday on Friday 7th, and pay the entry fee of €15 on arrival between 10 and 10.45 a.m.. Full information about the tournament is available here.

Galway Chess Club also holds monthly blitz tournaments in the Bridge Centre on Thursday evenings: the next one is on Thursday 23 May, at 7.45, and notice of future ones will be put up a week or so in advance on our website. There's no need to enter in advance: just show up!

• Advertisement
Advertisement